• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mjblazor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 28, 2011
    I'd like to have a 30-30 but I can't justify it for any practical sense in NWI. I don't hunt outside of state so is there any justification to buy one other than it's a great value?

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I had one for over ten years and had put less than 2 boxes of shells through it. I just had to have the quintessential cowboy rifle. Like you said, just not alot of practical use for it in my life. I have better rifles for out of state hunting and varmints and can't use it on deer in this state. I'm not one of those guys who has to have guns with a purpose. I have plenty of just for s&g guns, but that 30/30 always bothered me. So, I traded it in towards this:
    Ruger 77/44....Now this I can use!
    7744002.jpg

peberly400

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2012
    Warsaw
    Its a good round since it can go through brush pretty easy. A close distance yote gun maybe, but other than that its just a for fun gun.

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    I have a Winchester 94 I bought years ago because I wanted it. It's the one gun that I have no real use for, but I love it and will never sell it. If you want it get it.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I used to have a Winchester model 94 as well, I regret selling it back in the day but it paid for my first pistol. I figure someday Indiana will allow the .30-30 for deer, when that happens I am getting another one! Good round and lever actions are fun, if you want it go for it!

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    .30-30 a good choice.

I have a .30-30 lever rifle and I bought it because I used to own one just like it and I regretted selling it. No, I can't use it for deer hunting in Indiana and I too own better rifles for out west, but it is still fun to own and shoot. I should be getting my reloading dies tomorrow for it and I will shoot it more. Guns are primarily for fun for me, I have fun with it then it is worth the money to me.

Terry

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Some things are a classic and are just good to have. I think a 30 30 lever gun is one of those items. What's nice about living in indiana is you can get a good deal on them. I have a customer that buys alot off of gunbroker. He has had three 30 30 winchester commeratives (no boxes) shipped to the shop. I saw his reciepts and he paid no more than $400 for each of them. The lowest was the Teddy Roosevelt for $375. I think thats a bargain.

cartmanfan15

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Seymour, IN
    Same as others have said. I have a Winchester 94 rancher and its great. The recoil is pretty intense, but it's a great gun to shoot and I love the feel of the lever action.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    You dont need a reason to own a good lever gun. I had an old Marlin 30-30 for awhile but traded it for something else. I wish I still had it.

It was loud, kicked like a mule, one time it gave me a black eye bc I was to close to the scope and not holding the rifle tight enough.

It was still a heck of alot of fun.

Go for it you will be happy you did.

swmp9jrm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2008
    NCO
    The first gun I ever bought was a Marlin 336C - about 40 years ago. About 35 years ago, I sold it to my brother - unfired! He still has it today. And it is STILL unfired!. A few months ago, I tried to get him to sell it back to me, but he wouldn't do it. So I went out and bought a new one - and this time I took it to the range and sent a couple of boxes down range the same day I bought it. Didn't have a good reason to buy the first one, and even less reason to buy the second one. Go ahead and buy one!!

Last edited:

.45 Dave

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    I have mine for the history of it but also I intend to use it in the SHTF situation. Great gun, ammo easy to get, takes a lot of abuse. Get some of the Leverevolution ammo from Hornady. You wouldn't believe how it extends the range of the gun!

Redtbird

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Monroe County
    .30-30's

The first rifle I bought was on April 25, 2012. The only hunting for food I do is in the grocery aisles in the supermarket.

I bought a Marlin 336W, .30-30. And they ARE loud. They kick like an Arkansas mule. And you better have a firm grip on one, and have it snugged in tight on your shoulder when you pull the trigger.

But Day-umm, they are fun to shoot at targets! I'm glad I got mine!:)

Gerri

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    Freedom , yes really Freedom
    love my marlin 336 gold trigger 30-30 , paid a whole $250 for it (used and at a pawn shop) can't argue , love it , and by extension love the 30-30 round , sentimental too ......my father like many talked endlessly about his "thurty-thurty" that he had with his father

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    My brother and I got the same 30/30 last year. Picked up the new Mossberg 464 lever and I couldn't be happier.

What can you use it for in Indiana? Brother used his to trim a walnut tree! No kidding. A walnut tree in the yard grew out into the path of his Dish T.V. receiver so he "trimmed" a branch about 18" in diameter, about 35-40' long, and about 30' up.

8 shots and down it came. Reception is 95% improved.

darend505

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    Bought a Marlin .30-30 last year, the old Ted Williams model! Getting a scope for it soon! Have not had a chance to shoot it yet, but am looking forward to the chance too!

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    I have mine for the history of it but also I intend to use it in the SHTF situation. Great gun, ammo easy to get, takes a lot of abuse.
    ^^^^^^^^This!!^^^^^^^^^
    Plus.....
    It has ballistics similar to the 7.62x39.
    Will take moose size game with proper bullet and placement.
    (Elmer Keith took dozens of moose with a 30/30.)
    It is easy to teach a novice to use.
    It was the "Assault Rifle" of it's day and is still a formidable weapon. :)

mjblazor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 28, 2011
    wow, lot of good advice! thanks. it's good to know there are others who think like me. think i'll get one now...just for the fun of it.

Seaweed02

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    I love mine

I have a pre-64 Winchester Model 94. It is fun to shoot, not just for me, but my three sons love it also. It is also a piece of history. You just feel like your holding a piece of history when you shoot it.

Top Bottom