• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I saw several of these at the Indy1500. The cylinder is really short making the entire gun pretty short.

Thanks for the link. The jedi mind trick posed by the OP was working until I saw it for myself. That Taurus makes my Walther PPK seem pretty 21st century!

Checking the link and seeing the picture, my first thought is that it looks like one of the old Japanese service revolvers with a really short barrel.

I have to ask: Hop, since you have seen one in person, do you see any advantage over a .380 auto or a more conventional .38 revolver?

All things considered, it is a bit more interesting than I supposed given that historical similarity I hadn't anticipated, but still, it strikes me as [STRIKE]a question looking or an answer[/STRIKE] an answer looking for a question (I got that backwards posting when tired!).

Last edited:

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Other than caliber consolidation I don't see an advantage. Maybe if someone carried a semi-auto and their significant other couldn't rack the slide so they got the revolver...

I'd rather have a 6 shot LCR in 327 / 32 HR.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    As mentioned elsewhere in general, at the prices I most commonly see it would cost about twice as much to shoot as 9mm or 38sp, so makes no sense unless you want to reload it, and then it still makes little sense, performancewise, except for the novelty value. And being a current production Taurus it is unlikely to ever achieve collector value. Pass

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    Folks... there are lots of people, a lot of them ladies, that just want a revolver. Whether it be because they can't rack the slide or because they don't want to have to worry about anything but picking it up and pulling the trigger, they're out there. For some of these, a .22lr is too little caliber and a .38 Spcl is too much kick. This .380 fits that niche. A lot of these people don't give a crap that .380 costs more than 9mm or .38 spcl.

Too many of you can't see things from a NON gun-expert point of view. What makes perfect sense to you don't always apply to every other person.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Folks... there are lots of people, a lot of them ladies, that just want a revolver. Whether it be because they can't rack the slide or because they don't want to have to worry about anything but picking it up and pulling the trigger, they're out there. For some of these, a .22lr is too little caliber and a .38 Spcl is too much kick. This .380 fits that niche. A lot of these people don't give a crap that .380 costs more than 9mm or .38 spcl.

Too many of you can't see things from a NON gun-expert point of view. What makes perfect sense to you don't always apply to every other person.

While excess recoil from a .38 Special seems laughable, it seem to me that the faster, cheaper, easier, less confining solution without marrying yourself to moon or half-moon clips or to one specific DAO revolver, which may or may not ever have a proper complement of accessories, would be to load .38S&W in your .38 Special and call it a day.

I find myself inclined to stick with my conclusion that it is an answer looking for a question. I am eccentric enough to appreciate novelty for its own sake, but it is an extremely difficult task to make any practical argument here, unless of course you are the kind of dealer who can coldly cater to ignorance.

Top Bottom