• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AlwaysVigilant

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2013
    Michigan, by way of Indianapolis
    I'm no rifle expert. Just an average joe with some trigger time in on lots of different platforms. My experience is limited mostly to basic form and function, ease of use, quality and other non-tactical stuff. That said I have some pretty decisive opinions on what I have noticed and what works for me. Instead of comparing and contrasting too much, I figured it was about time someone did this.

The 556 Russian (yes that is what the designator "R" stands for)

Its good, and as far as AK styled rifles go...the best I've found. Does it matter? Well, that depends on you and your opinion of the advantages/differences with what you've got now. It's not a game changer IMHO, because it isn't an AK. It does share a similar gas piston system (and its well designed), magazines and mag release style, the 7.62x39 round, and a side charging handle on the right side. Everything else is different, a lot different, and in most cases better...but not all.

The not so great:

-No bolt hold open...no big deal if you're an AK guy.

-The charging handle could be a little taller for us bigger handed folks, and the rubber dip over it isn't the best solution to cover it IMHO.

-Everyone knows about the magazines. Magpul's new stuff may remedy that, but the jury is still out. For some this isn't a big deal. But if you have a small fortune invested in US Palm or Circle 10, you are going to have to lay out some more coin or put the dremel to $40 magazines. Bummer...at least to me. That said, I have come to like the metal ones, so I don't care anymore.

-The mag release lever. This is a preference thing, but it should be noted. The 556R's lever is recessed (read less protrusion) and has a different pivot point, requiring more mechanical leverage to release. Why does that matter? Its harder to use with gloves, and the mag-slap ejection method for reloads is more challenging to master (if you are into such things...I'm not). I don't know if the pictures do it justice, but it is noticeable. It is very strong and protected however.

ak mag release.jpg
    AK

556r mag release.jpg
    556R

-The safety. It is an M4 style, which is nice, and its ambi. However its position on the rifle makes it somewhat awkward to manipulate with thumb only...it is the height and angle. I have to use my trigger finger to put it back on safe. It is also much more difficult with gloves, and I cannot take it off in a full firing grip. This will likely vary with peoples digit design. I just figured I would put it out there.

-Iron sights...the back up that comes integrated into the rail is stupid, and a waste of manufacturing time and money. The idea was neat, and horribly executed. More so coupled with the fact that it doesn't come with a front sight...why bother? On the classic, it is a dovetail mount built into the front gas block regulator...so it limits your options. None of them are inexpensive. Not a deal killer, but it could have been better...like just machining in a short rail section there instead.

-The hand guards are "sloppy" in their fit. Well they aren't movement free anyway. I don't think this matters much either. They are nice regardless, feel natural, and I make more noise walking with gear on than they will ever make.

-Some find a little slop in the fit of the upper and lower receiver...and there are things marketed to take it away and make the rifle more accurate...OK, whatever. It isn't within my realm of skill to care, and it is more accurate than any AK I've ever fired.

That's about all I have on the "negatives"...most of which are not a big deal to someone used to dealing with AK's.

Everything else is really well done. The action is adept at managing the bolt thump and recoil. Its relatively lightweight. The folding stock is excellent. The trigger is excellent and adjustable. The QC is top notch. It is very accurate. It will feed everything. It is optic ready. The flash hider is excellent and robust. It is easy to clean. Operates just like an AK, sans the safety, and has built in sling mounts. There are even spots in the stock for QD connections. The grip is good and has storage.

Factory support and warranty service. Spare parts you don't have to buy off joe-bob gun show or gunbroker, and more options in the pipe for versatility.

You get all that without a 2 year wait from a builder, for 50-100% less money. Any way you cut it, it is the king of the AK's (if you count a non-AK among them). I love this thing, and in spite of its SBR length short comings, its a keeper and my go-to rifle now that I have taken a class with it.

It'll never be an erector set or uber light like an M4, but if you like the 7.62x39 its damn sweet.

Last edited:

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    I can't see the pictures of course that may just be my system. Also what brand is this? You never say.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Pictures don't show because you linked from another forum that requires login. You could save the images and host them somewhere else and link from there.

huntall50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    NW Indianapolis
    Nice review, I have been shoping for a AK for well over a year, but the Sig was also in the running for my >$1,000 gun. I recently picked up a N-PAP as my first AK so when the budget gets replinshed it will be between the SIG 556R and a Bulgurian Arsanal AK.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    One of my relatives got one of the TSD 556R Christmas packages (wedge, TSD brake, etc...) and it makes for a very slick rig. I will say that I don't see any real definitive differences between it and say a SLR107 that make it an AK Killer, but I'm a died in the wool AK fan. The US Palm / ((10)) mag thing kind of sucks for me too, because I'm heavily invested in both. One thing I will give it the edge though is the flat top upper (although I really don't mind the left side Russian style optic mounts). Hopefully Sig makes another run of them because I would really like to add one to my collection. Too bad we might be facing a ban on 7N6 5.45, because a 74 styled one would have been the bees knees.

alan robert

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Indiana
    Good review. I have waited and watched the SIG 556R thru 2 generations and glad to see that the effort was worth it. I bought a PTR32 instead, considering the problems of the 1st generation 556R.

strokin7.3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Hancock County
    The fit between the upper and lower isn't much different than most of the ARs out there. My main beef with the 556R was most of its weight was up front. I did have the quad rail model which adds a little bit of weight but I think even the standard hand guards are still nose heavy. Very accurate rifles though. I liked mine but in the end the 7.62x39 round and all the guns that shoot it just didn't hold my interest. Bought a Tavor and sold all my x39 guns and ammo. Haven't looked back since.

AlwaysVigilant

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2013
    The fit between the upper and lower isn't much different than most of the ARs out there. My main beef with the 556R was most of its weight was up front. I did have the quad rail model which adds a little bit of weight but I think even the standard hand guards are still nose heavy. Very accurate rifles though. I liked mine but in the end the 7.62x39 round and all the guns that shoot it just didn't hold my interest. Bought a Tavor and sold all my x39 guns and ammo. Haven't looked back since.
    I ditched the rails for the same reason and went classic. Much better balance.

glockednlocked

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 7, 2008
    I think as other people have said it really is about your wants and needs.
    1,If you are a hardcore AK person then the 556r probably is an answer to a question you never asked. You know quality AKs and can get the performance you want in the already available high end AK platform.
    2, If You are a total AK hater who doubts everything about the AK then the 556r is not going to suit you as it still has the already mentioned AK similarities. From caliber to operation one can see AK revised but still very much AK inspired.
    3, I fall in this group. Not a hater but not a die hard AK guy. I have owned several of varied quality and they came and went. I never knew enough to feel I really used the system to it's fullest purpose. In full disclosure I never owned a true ultra high end tier one AK. I really like the 556r it allows me into the AK pool while still maintaining some more commercial appeal. I know it is accurate and easy to operate and feels like a well built quality firearm. For me as a non AK guy it is a very simple entrée into the world of AK while still keeping a familiar feel. I unboxed it slapped an optic on it and it just plain works.

AlwaysVigilant

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2013
    I think as other people have said it really is about your wants and needs.
    1,If you are a hardcore AK person then the 556r probably is an answer to a question you never asked. You know quality AKs and can get the performance you want in the already available high end AK platform.
    2, If You are a total AK hater who doubts everything about the AK then the 556r is not going to suit you as it still has the already mentioned AK similarities. From caliber to operation one can see AK revised but still very much AK inspired.
    3, I fall in this group. Not a hater but not a die hard AK guy. I have owned several of varied quality and they came and went. I never knew enough to feel I really used the system to it's fullest purpose. In full disclosure I never owned a true ultra high end tier one AK. I really like the 556r it allows me into the AK pool while still maintaining some more commercial appeal. I know it is accurate and easy to operate and feels like a well built quality firearm. For me as a non AK guy it is a very simple entrée into the world of AK while still keeping a familiar feel. I unboxed it slapped an optic on it and it just plain works.

There is also the crowd that just likes the 7.62x39 for what it offers vs. the .223/5.56. That significantly narrows the options...I chose a modern rifle that wasn't an AR, or used proprietary magazines.

glockednlocked

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 7, 2008
    There is also the crowd that just likes the 7.62x39 for what it offers vs. the .223/5.56. That significantly narrows the options...I chose a modern rifle that wasn't an AR, or used proprietary magazines.

I totally agree. I wanted a 7.62x39 and using AK mags was a + versus some expensive or at least hard to find proprietary mags.

Top Bottom