• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spectre.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    It's without a doubt the most well known assault rifle around the world. It spread like wildfire from the frozen tundras of Russia and into the jungles of Asia. From the deserts of the Middle East to the wastelands of Africa, the AK-47 has carved out its place in the history of firearms. It can withstand every harsh condition a soldier or civilian would expect to find himself in. There really isn't a reason why a person wouldn't want to add one to their collection. I'm not saying everyone's out to get their hands on one but it can be assumed that anyone interested in firearms wouldn't mind adding one of these durable rifles to their collection (whether to keep or sell). But for those who are interested in buying one (I was once but I bought a pistol instead), the question always rattles around: Which brand should I buy? Now, the design is proven to work so I think we can all assume any of the copies or originals are at least decent. So please feel free to write down either the model you have or would want to own and what you like about it to better inform those who are interested in buying the AK-47 assault rifle. Personally, I like Izmash.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    First of all, welcome to INGO. Interesting first post, but the pros and cons of various AK models have been discussed at length here before. Did you utilize our search function or just page back through this forum a bit to try to find the answers/opinions you seek?

it can be assumed that anyone interested in firearms wouldn't mind adding one of these durable rifles to their collection

I think that's an incorrect assumption; there are PLENTY of gun owners out there whose scope of interest does not include AK pattern rifles, and a somewhat smaller subset that actively dislikes them for a variety of reasons.

Now, the design is proven to work so I think we can all assume any of the copies or originals are at least decent.

The design is sound, but the excecution can still be flawed. While most AK variants available today are functional or can be made so, they may not be "pretty" or "correct" or even competently assembled. Due to the easy availability of the kits, parts and tools required to build an AK, "everybody's doing it," and thus the quality of individual guns can vary wildly from one to the next.

Personally, I like Izmash.

Saigas are nice, especially the SGL-series guns put out by Legion and finished by Arsenal Inc, but there are a lot of other quality options out there. Just depends on what features you're looking for, and how much you're prepared to pay.

Lanser

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Evansville
    It's hard to go wrong with AKs.

Unless you manage to find some complete knock-off piece of junk impersonator (if such a thing even exists, given the already simple design and low cost of the real thing), you really can't mess up.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Welcome to the group! :welcome:

Notice how Shooter521 called it an "AK" and not an "AK-47". Kalashnikov approached the Soviet military with the rifle in 1947, but the original was rejected with design flaws. It was improved and in 1949 was approved and went into production. It was officially known (translated) as an "Automatic Kalashnikov". They never used the "-47" designation. The original AK Type 3 then was modified and became the AKM in the mid 1950s. Only with the introduction of the AK-74 did it officially get a year designation as part of it's official name.

I believe the "AK-47" was born in a US press release during the Vietnam time frame and it stuck. Also as far as I know, the only country that actually stamped a rifle "AK-47" was the Chinese when they tried to enter the US commercial market to those of us who shall not be infringed. Unfortunately George Bush The First had a fit over those "evil looking weapons" and banned them. Some modified semi-auto versions made it into the US before william jefferson clinton desided to pull the plug on the all together.

The current generation of ATF approved AK variants have to be modified to meet the sporting purpose clause of the second amendment as determined by the US Attorney General.

HUH?!?!!?!?!?!!

Anyway, you ask which is the best. That is like asking which is the best pistol for carry. Every person you will meet will have their own opinion. Your best bet is to research the few hundred versions imported into this land of infringement, figure how much you are willing to spend, and then go from there getting an opinion (although biased) from anyone willing to help.

Good luck with your search.

Oh, which is my favorite??? Too many to count! :D

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I like AKs. They are probably my favorite type of rifle. When I say type, I mean the style of rifle, ie AK variants. My personal favorites are Bulgarian, Yugo, and Chineese (Norinco). Im also working on some Saigas as well, and for the price, you really cant go wrong with them right now.

Spectre.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    I was thinking about getting a Galil ARM or SAR but I understand the mechanics aren't exactly the same. Someone said "The Germans invented it, the Russians improved it, and the Israelis perfected it." Are those Norinco's of any better quality over the Russian Izmash models?

jjohnisme

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 11, 2009
    Brownsburg
    Hammer: Lol @ ur avatar.

And on-topic: Galil makes high quality rifles. I own a .223 Val-Met, which (as i understand it) is a step down from Galil, but a step up from the typical AK. I'm not sure as to the exact model of the rifle, but i do know it was used in an old movie with robin williams called 'The Survivors'. You can't hide it under a sofa cushion, by the way.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I was thinking about getting a Galil ARM or SAR but I understand the mechanics aren't exactly the same. Someone said "The Germans invented it, the Russians improved it, and the Israelis perfected it." Are those Norinco's of any better quality over the Russian Izmash models?

Now this is my opinion from what Ive seen, and it may be a bit biased, but I would put the Norincos up there towards the top of the build quality. Only issue I really have with Norincos is the overall blued finish is pretty darn thin. Thin enough it almost gives the bluing a silvery tint in spots ;). Now, other than that they are top shelf (again, IMO). They have the same problem the Russian Izmash (ie Saigas) have, they require a lot of work to be converted back to "correct" status.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    If you really want the closest thing to an original AK Type 3 that ATF allows without having to mortgage your house and pay the $200 blackmail charge, the Poly Tech Legend would be the way to go. Right now due to the ban on Chinese imports they are priced in the very crazy range, but if you find one still in box with paperwork, you can read how the Chinese are very proud about it being an almost AK Type 3. Argueably the best factory made milled AK available.

Yes I know the SA M-7 series is a nice milled AK, but not with an AK-74 gas block!

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Yup, the PolyTech Legend rifles are sweet! But, like you said pricey! Right now expect to pay around $2000 for one in great to NIB condition.

Wish I would have picked one up years ago!

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    Well, the Germans had nothing to do with the AK. Common misconception is that Mikhail copied the STG-44. Two entirely different guns. The only thing he copied was the use of the intermediate round. The Germans just necked down their 8mm(7.92x57) to the 8mm Kurz(7.92x33) to fire in the STG-44.
    Now, the Galil is an upgraded AK. A very nice one indeed, but they "copied" their design from the Valmet, which is considered the best AK variant ever. These things are awesome, but over $2000 if you could find one. Super accurate and reliable. I have handled one, but have never got to shoot it. As far as the best AK variant out there, I would vote for the Galil ARM in .308. Super nice, but super expensive. Welll over $2500.
    AKs are ideal for any SHTF occurrence. Will eat anything and moderately accurate. They do what they are designed to do, engage targets 300m in.

Spectre.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    Well at gun shows around here, there's a lot of Galil AR rifles. The highest I've seen them go is around $1,000. But I'd like one that has wooden furniture and 7.62x51mm but they're mainly in 5.56mm.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    The Galil ARM in 7.62 NATO is one rare and expensive beast. A great firearm, and it shows you have taste in the good stuff!!! Unfortunately they have been running close to $3000. I have not seen anyone making them lately, so I am guessing all that are available are the true "pre-ban" rifles. That is another reason they are so expensive.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    Well at gun shows around here, there's a lot of Galil AR rifles. The highest I've seen them go is around $1,000. But I'd like one that has wooden furniture and 7.62x51mm but they're mainly in 5.56mm.

The ones you are referring to are the Golanis from Century Arms. I had one and it was terrible. They are not true Galils. The receivers are junk and parts are from South American countries where they have been shot out. They are hit and miss as far as quality goes. True Galils, say IMI on them or Action Arms, go for well over $2000.

Spectre.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    No, no. I know Golani's. The one's I was talking about were made by IMI (which has now changed to IWI). They were stamped original and made in Israel. I'm not sure about getting a Golani but I was really tempted to get one of the Galil's at these local gun shows but they have the Galil AR's with the polymer grip, not the wooden grip and I've only seen them in 5.56mm (I want 7.62x51mm).

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    Keep in mind we can only get semi - automatic sporting rifles without jumping through some hoops, Assualt rifles are in limited availability in this country.

Look at the STG-43 conceptually diffrent from the AK, only vaguely similar in apperance.

that said I really like my Arsenal SLR-95

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    No, no. I know Golani's. The one's I was talking about were made by IMI (which has now changed to IWI). They were stamped original and made in Israel. I'm not sure about getting a Golani but I was really tempted to get one of the Galil's at these local gun shows but they have the Galil AR's with the polymer grip, not the wooden grip and I've only seen them in 5.56mm (I want 7.62x51mm).

Well, if that is the case then please tell me where I can find these because I will buy at least 4 of them for $1000. NO JOKE! You can't find a real deal IMI Galil anywhere for under $2000. I am a member on Uzitalk and they go for $2500 all the time.

Top Bottom