• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RugerRog

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Indy
    That is a nice looking car too bad they didnt build it. I thought the Javelin was a good looking car for the day, at least the Trans-Am version that Donohue drove.

Magneto

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    New Albany
    I remember mom having an AMC Concord while her car was in the shop. It was an odd car, but I remember it having comfortable seats.

spirit390

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    AMC are my other hobby. First car was a 70 AMX 390 4bbl. 4speed 3:56 posi would run 13 flat at 105mph in quarter mile spinning first 60 feet. Dad had a 73 Gremlin with the same engine and trans but had a 3:91 posi and it would run 12.50's. We would just uncork the headers put on the slicks when we got to the track. Race all day, button it up and drive it home. It was his daily driver until it was rear ended. I will have to post some pictures of that car it was a blast.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    In high school, I was trying to convince the parents to let me buy something not so practical as my first car. I came found some magazine articles about the AMC AMX/3 when I was trying to narrow down a list. An AMX and a nice Charger with a 383 were on the list as well as a 1950s fire truck...unfortunately I realized it would be more practical (and cheaper) to buy a used pickup. The AMX made the list because it was ugly and different. I still like them.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    The AMX and Javelin were decent cars back in the day. There was also a Gremlin that was pretty badass in my neighborhood. He could pull wheelies with cheater slicks on. We used to race out on Shadeland between Washington St and 52.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    AMC are my other hobby. First car was a 70 AMX 390 4bbl. 4speed 3:56 posi would run 13 flat at 105mph in quarter mile spinning first 60 feet. Dad had a 73 Gremlin with the same engine and trans but had a 3:91 posi and it would run 12.50's. We would just uncork the headers put on the slicks when we got to the track. Race all day, button it up and drive it home. It was his daily driver until it was rear ended. I will have to post some pictures of that car it was a blast.

Is that where you get your screen name? I bought a new hatchback Spirit in 1979. It was a 258 six with a 4 wide ratio four speed (4th felt like overdrive). Even with the smog motor, the car was pretty fun to drive. I got rid of it because it was not a good car for baby seats. They also had the black amx one with red and orange stripes, but I am pretty sure that was only a six also. I'll bet with a V-8 and fat sway bars, those old Spirits would be old school fun.

spirit390

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Is that where you get your screen name? I bought a new hatchback Spirit in 1979. It was a 258 six with a 4 wide ratio four speed (4th felt like overdrive). Even with the smog motor, the car was pretty fun to drive. I got rid of it because it was not a good car for baby seats. They also had the black amx one with red and orange stripes, but I am pretty sure that was only a six also. I'll bet with a V-8 and fat sway bars, those old Spirits would be old school fun.

Sorry I missed this but yeah thats where I took my screen name I have always loved AMC. Before I had a relapse(MS) I was building a Spirit drag races car and I had to put it on the back burner until finances get better. Not to mention that hopey changey thing thats happened twice has really screwd my plans. If you ever spot AMC's/ Rambler's I do pay finders fee's for parts cars.

~Jeff~

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I knew a guy in Kansas City who had his dads old AMX Super Stock car he drag raced. It was pretty awesome, unrestored and just like it was back in the day. He just sold it a couple years ago I think. Some of those old AMC's were pretty cool really. They had a style all their own.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Hard to believe they had a prototype like that but marketed the Gremlin, Javelin & Pacer.

Shouldn't **** on AMC products, there were more than a few 401 powered gremlins (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMC_Gremlin#Randall_401-XR) that hit the roads in the early years of production that could more than hold their own against Detroit.

On a side; I had a '70 AMX until about 8 years ago, 390 4 sp go pak car, mildly warmed over engine. Short version some kid in a probably 92 5.0 'stang pulled up and started talking smack about my "gremlin" while his gf told him not to race me. At the end of it all he rolled up next to me and his gf was laughing at him telling him "I told you not to race him, my dad used to have one of those"!:rockwoot:

Hell, I wasn't even trying!!:patriot:

And yes I knew from the outset it wasn't even a contest but sometimes you just gotta show the "kids" what a real car is.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    This makes me think of the old Javelin commercial from the late 60's or early 70's.

(Haven't seen it since, so this is from memory)

A guy had a Javelin in the driveway with a REAL blower sticking out of the hood, and the car would barely idle it was so hopped up.

The guy's dad came out and in conversation referred to his son's car as a "toy".

The kid revs it up a few times, and you could see the torque lift one side if the car a little bit, and it sounded like a drag race car.

Then the kid says "dad, this isn't a toy..."

I would love to have a video of that commercial, but I can't find it anywhere.

spirit390

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    With 79 AMX I put alot of the 5oohs and irocks to shame in the 1/4 mile. When I lived in indy(late 70s early 80s)I would run autocross and even had the datson and porshe guys doing a wtf is that. Cars were cool cause not everyone had one and you only had one if you wanted to be different! Go figure

Top Bottom