• ...and so much more!
  • Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    According to whom? HundK fanboy boards?:D

M16/M4 represents waaaay too much sunk costs.

Phasers will replace the M16/M4.

this was along time ago, saw it on mail call with gunny, also saw it on the military channel and also talk around post at atterbury. sources at atterbury are impeccable (even posted years before everyone else knew about what is going on with the range and everyone said it wont happen and i didnt know what is was talking about and then the news came to the public and everyone was shocked and i had the pleasure of saying TOLD YA SO, there are updates and all i can say is post is all messed up and the state wants nothing to do with atterbury anymore and wants to turn it over to the federal gvt so it will save the state money and the fed gvt wants to keep it as a reserve post and all the title 10 troops on post got their orders cut because the new post commander and Mitch daniels wants to bring in active troops to help force atterbury to be a full active base.)

Last edited:

HogDaddy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    s indy
    too much money to replace all m4/m16. They may add other rifles or calibers, different AR uppers. But too many weapons and money already spent to change. Not including magazines and web gear to carry AR mags.

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    too much money to replace all m4/m16. They may add other rifles or calibers, different AR uppers. But too many weapons and money already spent to change. Not including magazines and web gear to carry AR mags.

thats why they will raise taxes even more

shake1155

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2010
    old news

This isn't news I hear news about them changinging up our rifles every 3 months in the army times ... One month will be new rifles the next new uniforms and the next month will be pay freezes .. The last I heard was one m14 per squad in Afghanistan because 5.56 didn't have the range of the old soviet sniper rifles haji has (usually 7.62x54). About 5 months ago I did read an article about bringing back full auto to our m16/m4s ... But like everything in the military I believe it when I see it and I haven't seen any change yet.

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    They'll replace the M16/M4 when they design a weapon that is SIGNIFICANTLY better and still cost effective. The 5.56x45 isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought NATO wanted a common cartrige. So if the 5.56x45 is replaced, then the majority of the 20-something members of NATO will have to support the switch.

shake1155

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2010
    They'll replace the M16/M4 when they design a weapon that is SIGNIFICANTLY better and still cost effective. The 5.56x45 isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought NATO wanted a common cartrige. So if the 5.56x45 is replaced, then the majority of the 20-something members of NATO will have to support the switch.
    . All I ever saw was 5.56 in iraq .. We had m4/m16 the Germans had the g36 and the Australians had... Something I'm not sure what it was. The only exceptions was security forces (Ugandans) they had AKs ... But standardizing is hard cause our m14s and 240b shoots 308 for extra range not to mention our 12gage shotguns for close quarters

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    There was something to be said about the m14 and m1 garand in the 30 caliber rounds. That 30 cal dispatched alot of bad guys (especially the '06). That said, who knows and I agree that it is doubtful the m4/m16 is going anywhere anytime soon.

Mordred

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    The M4's are going nowhere. The only thing that might change is the caliber to a 6.8 because it adds some more short range stopping power. Though i do know they are adding a bit more SBR's to the mix with special forces and calling them M6s.

Trevlan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Franklin Township
    for a while it was supposed to be the xm8

Yup, the xm8 with the Airburst tech. I remember that, that was like 6 years ago. Such a big deal about the gun, and how futeristic it was. It looked plain ugly to me. If they swap it, I hope it's the ACR. But my main question is, what's wrong with the M4 carbine? It's an excellent gun with a pleathora of attachments.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    Yup, the xm8 with the Airburst tech. I remember that, that was like 6 years ago. Such a big deal about the gun, and how futeristic it was. It looked plain ugly to me. If they swap it, I hope it's the ACR. But my main question is, what's wrong with the M4 carbine? It's an excellent gun with a pleathora of attachments.

At one point every M4 in the field must be replaced. We can either continue to produce more M4's, or we can decide to start using something else. While the M4 is leaps and bounds better than it was when it was originally developed, we can do better. Those times you do get misfires at the range with your ar15 are one thing.. but misfires in the field are of a totally different scope and importance.

The xm8 has a lot of well documented issues. For one, the handle melts when the weapon is put through hard firing drills.

In my opinion the HK416 is a more reliable weapon system than the M4, and utilizes the same ammunition... The fact that it is a German produced gun is a negative in my mind though... Many forces are already utilizing the HK416 and claim that it as an improvement over the M4.

If the Army decides to move away from 5.56 like many want, then that opens up its own can of worms and changes everything. In my opinion, it is unlikely that that will happen.

Trevlan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Franklin Township
    At one point every M4 in the field must be replaced. We can either continue to produce more M4's, or we can decide to start using something else. While the M4 is leaps and bounds better than it was when it was originally developed, we can do better. Those times you do get misfires at the range with your ar15 are one thing.. but misfires in the field are of a totally different scope and importance.

The xm8 has a lot of well documented issues. For one, the handle melts when the weapon is put through hard firing drills.

In my opinion the HK416 is a more reliable weapon system than the M4, and utilizes the same ammunition... The fact that it is a German produced gun is a negative in my mind though... Many forces are already utilizing the HK416 and claim that it as an improvement over the M4.

If the Army decides to move away from 5.56 like many want, then that opens up its own can of worms and changes everything. In my opinion, it is unlikely that that will happen.

What like bumping up to a 7.62 round? LoL. I'll look up the HK416 right now to see it's specs. But H&K have always been great manufacturers. I love the G36c although I only have an air gun replica of it. LMFAO. BRB.

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010

How much of an improvement is the HK416? What is the cost per each M4 and each HK416? Do the HK416's additional capabilities make for its additional cost?

Trevlan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Franklin Township
    How much of an improvement is the HK416? What is the cost per each M4 and each HK416? Do the HK416's additional capabilities make for its additional cost?

Ok, after reading about the 416. It's main selling point is the weight and reliability. It uses a piston-operated action, which replaces the gas-operated system in the M4 and M16 series. It's easier to clean and dismantle, and it also has less buildup. It looks like the M4, they said it was built off the xm8 platform. A pretty decent gun.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville

Hard questions to answer without the government contract information onhand.

The HK416 is not only more reliable, but it also has a longer expected life cycle due to its design.

By the way, for those interested in 7.62, check out the HK417. I would bet they will stay with 5.56, buy I guess we will see.

As far as stoppages, in a test of firing the M4 had 882 stoppages compared to the HK416's 233 stoppages. The XM8 had only 127, and the FN SCAR Light had 226. This was a 60,000 round test.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    this was along time ago, saw it on mail call with gunny, also saw it on the military channel and also talk around post at atterbury. sources at atterbury are impeccable (even posted years before everyone else knew about what is going on with the range and everyone said it wont happen and i didnt know what is was talking about and then the news came to the public and everyone was shocked and i had the pleasure of saying TOLD YA SO, there are updates and all i can say is post is all messed up and the state wants nothing to do with atterbury anymore and wants to turn it over to the federal gvt so it will save the state money and the fed gvt wants to keep it as a reserve post and all the title 10 troops on post got their orders cut because the new post commander and Mitch daniels wants to bring in active troops to help force atterbury to be a full active base.)

Period's, comma's, etc are a good thing! :D As with Atterbury, they can not make up their minds to save their own hides. The last I heard, they are going to down size. Before that, it was going to be one of the largest pre-deployment training centers. Some of our idiot politicians do not realize how many civilians they employ. Downsize, and more people loose their jobs. Increase size, and jobs are created.

Top Bottom