• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • garlic_b

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Bloomington
    What would Sun Tzu suggest gives the most tactical advantage, openly displaying your weapons available for offense/defense or keeping information concerning those weapons and abilities concealed from your enemies until you are ready to use them?

If you are strong appear weak. If you are weak appear strong. Know your enemy, know yourself, know the victor, then fight the battle.

DemolitionMan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Avon, IN
    I first read Sun Tzu while at Engineer OBC. I remember a Major giving me a hard time about it. "How can such an old book apply to modern warfare?" he asked. I gave him a sincere response about basic principles not changing but he didn't seem to buy it. I'm still not sure if he was testing me or honestly thought there was no point to reading it.

What would Sun Tzu suggest gives the most tactical advantage, openly displaying your weapons available for offense/defense or keeping information concerning those weapons and abilities concealed from your enemies until you are ready to use them?

Others have mentioned the "deception" quote so I won't repeat it other than to agree that it could apply in a few different ways.

A lot of what Sun Tzu preached was knowing and outthinking your enemy - so I think he would say that you should base your OC/CC decision on what you know of the enemy.

Unfortuantely we face a lot of different possible enemies. Sun Tzu was writing about strategy when confronting a known foe. Jack, I think you are asking a tactical question about being prepared for almost any kind of foe. They are similar but different problems. It seems to me all you can do is determine who your likely threats are and prepare for them accordingly.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Jack, I think you are asking a tactical question about being prepared for almost any kind of foe. They are similar but different problems. It seems to me all you can do is determine who your likely threats are and prepare for them accordingly.

I like to give myself many options and a potential opponent few regardless of the situation, business, labor negotiations, or armed conflict.

I would prefer an opponent offer me what I want than to have no choice but to take it from them. If he never learns I was prepared to take it, so much the better. If I have to reveal my ability, I want it to be obvious to my enemy he has NO other choice but capitulation.

It's been stated several times on this board and yet so many still do not really understand the meaning, "If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.":dunno:

My gun cocked and finger on the trigger resting against the back of my enemy's head with full knowledge of any accomplices would be my ultimate goal. Not facing my enemy with my weapon holstered and his drawn. The good guy is nearly always at a disadvantage as the enemy of good decides the time and place of conflict. Good should not give away any other knowledge with out exacting a cost on his opponent.

EPD1102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Evansville
    It was required reading for me when I was in the military. I also have a copy on my iPhone that I read occasionally when I'm bored.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I have a couple. Also, 'The Book of Five Rings'. It's also worth finding and reading anything regarding John Boyd. He's the originator of the OODA loop and reading his stuff, as well as stuff written by those close to him is very enlightening.

patandhisruger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    if you can relate it to modern times, it is a great set of rules and guidelines for keeping your ass out of trouble and if in trouble how to come out on top or get away....great piece of literature...oh, yea i have it...

Top Bottom