• ...and so much more!
  • PatMcGroyne

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Honey Creek
    Ignorant BATFE?

Are you telling us that the second amendment, according to the BATFE, does not carry behyond the property line of the State, over and onto the property of a STATE school?? It MAY be wise to conceal, but that's neither the point nor the law. The Constitution, "...entire and whole..." is the law of the land. ALL land. That this opinion came out after the VaTech massacre makes no difference. It "came out" AFTER the Constitution was ratified. Ergo it cannot change nor trump the Constitution. INDIANA is NOT a "CCW" (whateverrthe43LL THAT is!). We have a "license" to own, possess, and control a firearm. It is NOT "permission" nor registration. Our "PERMISSION" is the 2A. Yes, maybe ACORN "volunteers" may come around, before 2012, asking to see the gun we have licensed. But we need only point out "The Tragic Boating Accident On Lake Michigan" to them. Pat

So I've been researching gun laws on campuses lately and during this research I ran across this article that came out after the VA Tech shootings. Seems like the ATF doesn't know what the gun laws are for Indiana:

The Exponent - Purdue's Student Newspaper

Open carry is NOT permitted without a license.

Last edited:

INGunGuy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Jeffersonville, Indiana
    After the shootings at Virginia Tech, a government agent and a Purdue administrator have explained gun regulations in Indiana and on Purdue's campus.

College-aged students have the ability to purchase firearms in Indiana legally as long as they pass a background check.

Not true, PERIOD!

When purchasing a firearm, the buyer must fill out a government form with questions that may disqualify the person from gun ownership.
    "There are nine items that are prohibiting and those are kind of what the background checks are for," said Kaye Newby, special agent and criminal investigation for the ATF.
    Newby said although purchasing a firearm requires special effort, regulations monitoring possession of a weapon are less stringent.

Indiana residents are legally able to carry an unconcealed firearm without a permit.

What are they trying to do get students arrested?

"The actual permit in the state of Indiana is to carry (a firearm) concealed," she said.

The ACTUAL permit is a License To Carry a Handgun(LTCH) open, concealed, however you choose to carry.

"Technically, it's like the wild, wild west here."
    Despite the availability of guns, Capt. John Cox of the Purdue Police Department said reports to police concerning firearms are sparse.
    "It is a rare occurrence," Cox wrote in an e-mail. "In 2006 we had three incidents involving handguns with only one resulting in arrest. The few times we receive reports of someone possibly in possession or carrying a handgun, it turns out to be some type of BB or airsoft gun."
    Purdue University maintains a zero tolerance policy for firearms on campus. Tom Paczolt, director of residential life with University Residences, expressed that even BB and airsoft guns are considered weapons and prohibited. Paczolt said there have been occurrences in the past of students having deadly firearms in residence halls.
    "We have had a few violations of this policy over the past several years, but mostly these are individuals using pellet guns," he said. "There have been one or two situations where someone had a handgun in the building, but in these situations the police assisted in removing the weapon and we dealt with the person through our conduct process."
    Trae Mitten, assistant dean of student rights and responsibilities, said aside from the ROTC and shooting clubs, firearms are not allowed on campus. The results of firearm infractions are usually serious.
    "We're going to take it on a case by case basis," he said. "A weapons violation can result in suspension or expulsion. We're going to look very seriously at the situation and see what the circumstances are."

THis article is full or BS... And the author needs to be notified they are giving out BAD, BAD information!

INGunGuy

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    The article is from 2007. When it appeared in the Exponent, I contacted ATFE to locate the source of the misstatement.

From talking with the agent, who advised that she understood how Indiana law read as to manner of carry, I believe that the ATF quotation is rooted in confusion over firearms and firearms law by the author of the story.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Not to drift off subject here but,The ATF can only enforce FEDERAL laws. Most ATF agents are familiar with most state laws it's the FEDERAL statutes that they are taught and that they enforce!
    If an ATF agent arressts someone on federal charges and they are violating a state law at the same time it's up to the state to bring charges up. thats why they have alot of joint task forces on alot of things from guns to drugs to white collar crime (ATF,State police, US Marshals, FBI etc) unless it is illegal in both. In most cases the Feds will just take the case because in federal prison they will do 85% of their time minimum (at least 8 1/2 years on a 10 year sentence)

andrewheath

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Wow. I actually had to read that again to be sure of what I was reading. I've drafted an email up but I'm gonna take a few hours to send it. I actually got a little heated after reading that. I guess its been one of those wrong side of the bed days.

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    Are we really surprised that the BATFE does not know Indiana law? Remember folks, they are a federal entity, familiar with only federal laws, and probably not many of them.

Hells Bells folks, there are enough gun ignorant State Troopers, Sheriff's Deputies, City Police and Town Marshals to go around. Why would we want more?

Top Bottom