• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BuddieReigns

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Muncie
    I have a bout 2 years worth and put it out for my job. I love it and it is very interesting to me when people send in what they do and how they do it, but lately they've had like interviews with Les Stroud and things, and that doesn't interest me. I just want to read what old guys know about things and maybe how they did them back in the day or how to make stuff.

deanr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Kendallville, Indiana
    I've picked that one up a few times, but I prefer Backwoods Home. While the magazine is not really marketed toward preppers but more so to those that want to live a self-sufficient life, which I believe any prepper worth his/her preps should strive to.

Massad Ayoob has a regular column and in the current issue they have articles on bartering basics and suturing wounds.

Check it out, if you want, self-reliance | homesteading | canning | backwoods | magazine

aka-kesler

Plinker
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Aug 18, 2012
    I have been a long time subscriber!!! Some issues are better than others.. Alot of info in their back issues too!! I would suggest a subscription to anybody that wants to gain knowlege of old methods and new twists on old ideas!!!

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    Best mag ever, followed extremely close by Backwoods Home (In truth I buy both so I can't love either less). These used to be the things that older men would teach younger men in the barber shops, bait stores and at the scouting meetings. Our world could do with a revival of that.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    There's an ad in the classifieds for a number of back issues...

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/non_firearms_related/240849-backwoodsman_magazines.html

I got it for a year...very interesting but it seems more geared to how to live a mountain-man lifestyle...even so, there are some good bits of info in there.

I would have to agree that, for me, Backwoods Home is a far better resource for self sufficiency. I've subscribed to that one for 6 years or more, have purchased several of their books, and hope to start buying the back-issue anthologies as finances allow.

If you're also thinking about raising animals, Countryside and Small Stock Journal (http://www.countrysidemag.com/) is another good one to look at.

Barnes and Noble has all of these on their magazine racks, and I believe Amazon has free trials of Backwoods Home for Kindle (here's one: [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Backwoods-Home-Magazine-2009-ebook/dp/B0093HL028/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1350942602&sr=8-2&keywords=backwoods+home+kindle[/ame]).

Last edited:

mrtdrew

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 22, 2011
    NW Indy
    Ive been getting the magazine for about two years now and honestly its kind of hit or miss they have some awesome articles and ideas for little projects but some of their issues leave alot to be desired. overall there is a lot of knowledge to be gained through them i feel though thats why i continue to read them

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    Backwoodsman, Backwoods Home, and Fish Fur and Game

I get all three and have been for years. They are full if knowledge and I always mention them to people that are new to prepping.

Spanky46151

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Martinsville
    Don't know how outdated this post is, but I just received my first issue. So far, I love it. Lots of good information, articles & entertainment.

Top Bottom