• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    i've owned a few of the production brands: taurus pt1911, RIA Tactical, Colt LWCommander, SA Loaded and Colt 1918. while all of them are great guns, my favorite by far is my Colt 1918. this may change once i get my Loaded modded to my liking though.

G McBride

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2008
    Centerville
    I have a Colt Defender that I absolutely love. I picked up a Colt Compact in Parkerized finnish but have not had it out to the range so I can't comment on it yet. Looks nice with the 3 1/2" barrel.

infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I like my colt

coltafter2.jpg

But am going to take a look at Springfield when I get a chance. Or another Colt. Maybe I'll just save up for a Wilson Combat. Great, I have the disease...:rockwoot:

So now the question is, is 1911 disease worse than black rifle disease? I hope not...

theturtle06

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Denver, CO
    But am going to take a look at Springfield when I get a chance. Or another Colt. Maybe I'll just save up for a Wilson Combat. Great, I have the disease...:rockwoot:

So now the question is, is 1911 disease worse than black rifle disease? I hope not...

For me it is. I want an EBR but have nowhere near as much of a desire for that as I do collecting 1911s. The most proven combat sidearm ever and IMO a huge mistake that our military stopped issuing them. 1911s have a habit of making my pants shrink :dunno: why is that? :cool:

PA080074.jpg

Any modern 1911 will likely suit you well. I don't have a great deal of 1911 experience but my Detonics is a great pistol. I have shot a few Kimbers, a top of the line Springfield, and an S&W. Out of those the Springfield was my favorite, but my Detonics still trumps every pistol I have shot. It's a 30 year old 1911 that is pristine and is a pure gem. Some of the newer mass production ones occasionaly have problems but you can find that in ANY weapon, be it 1911, Glocks, ect., so just find one that fits your budget and it will suit you well. 90% of issues with 1911s are magazine related so if you initally encounter issues, find a way to try different magazines, or buy new ones yourself. I give Wilson Combat magazines my wholehearted approval. They are pricey but they are excellent. I have been having problems with the Wilson ETM magazines I bought which were designed from the ground up to be 8 round magazines (rather than modified 7 rounders) and the Wilson customer service has told me to send them back for replacement magazines. You cannot beat that when it comes to customer service.

It's about time to get the barrel threaded and find a can. I need to find whether I can do this with the stock barrel or if I need a new one...I'm not sure if the stock barrel is too wide as is to accept any cans. Hmmm...

Last edited:

dubsac

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I like my colt

coltafter2.jpg

Everywhere I go I see this beauty. IGW did a unbelievable job im so jealous.

WIZZO499

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    I keep buying Springfields. I'm up to 4 now with plans for at least another GI, an MC Operator, and a TRP.After that, I think I'd like to get a Colt Series 70 and a Combat Commander.Other than that, I don't have a need for the real fancy ones......yet.

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    For what it is worth, most of the reputable manufacturers produce a superior product. Kimber, RIA, RRA, Wilson Combat, Colt (to some degree), Nighthawk, etc.

Sometimes the problem gets into pistol size. I have heard and experienced some feeding problems with the smaller 1911's such as the Officers' Model. That may be due to several things, but in my experience I am most happy with the standard or Government size. No alloy, just steel, hardchromed please and good sights and a manageable trigger.

Both of my 1911's are from D&L Sports, Gillette, WY. Dave Lauck is one of the masters of the 1911. Yes, his prices are steep, but not as much as Mark Morris of Morris Custom Pistols. We should not scream about prices because what we are buying are tools to protect our lives. The simple question is how much your life is worth, the rest is somewhat easier.

Good luck shopping. That is the fun of the procedure.

Lastshot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    United States of Merica
    Well to tell the truth, I have a springer SS milspec, that is just great. BUT I would like to have a Les Baer. I promise, Ill be good, stop drink beer, stop looking at starnge women, No more passing gas, .... well not that can be heard anyway. I have to figger a way to convince my wife that I NEED another 1911. :dunno:

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Well to tell the truth, I have a springer SS milspec, that is just great. BUT I would like to have a Les Baer. I promise, Ill be good, stop drink beer, stop looking at starnge women, No more passing gas, .... well not that can be heard anyway. I have to figger a way to convince my wife that I NEED another 1911. :dunno:
    I went down to the local PD and picked up the paperwork for the spousal unit to fill out...to bump his 4 year license to the lifetime one.
    He needs to start looking for a .45 [STRIKE]that I can play with, claim, get my grubby paws on and shoot to my heart's content[/STRIKE] for his own carry.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I have owned a few Kimbers. All were decent guns. Never owned a Springfield due to their sharp edges. Just something that always annoyed me. I really like Colt's. I really like Wilson's. So I have a SS Colt 1991 that went to Wilson for the CQB treatment. IMO a flawless ultra dependable,super accurate weapon. No sharp edges either:). The best of both worlds IMO:twocents:

LPD09-009014.jpg picture by 10A2_photos - Photobucket

Last edited:

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    Colts are my favorite flavor of 1911. Yeah, Kimber is OK, Springers are nice enough but lack something, STI is the same for me, "custom" guns? Well if you didn't have input, it ain't custom is it?

Colt is pretty much a no-brainer good out of the box and surpassed by none as a base to an actual customized gun.

Fish609

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Wilson Combat in 9mm right now. I think I creamed myself when I got to shoot it. But, alas, it is far outside of my price range.

FWIW I love the Night Hawk's also... Just for the decal in the grip lol

Top Bottom