• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thumperdogg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Hartford City
    Definitely not my first gun, I have owned a lot of the above mentioned. G17, XD, LCR, TCP, PF9, LC9, SR40. The thing I wanted to find out was if there was a gun under a $1,000 that was far superior to any other and for what reason? I wish XDM had a 9mm that was purely left handed and then I would definitely be sold on it, but with all of the other options you guys have thrown at me, I see I will have to do more hands on research on some of these. A gen 3 G17 in OD green as a left handed model (which do not exist) would be friggin sweet!! (Giggity, Giggity!!)

Glock, if you're listening, make a pure left handed G17, then ship it to me, and I will be your test pilot!! PLEASE!!

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I own a XD and shot the XDm, but the CZ-75 I own is the best. More accurate than my XD .45. It's heavier, has and external hammer and just feels great in my palm.

The CZ-85 is the ambi version.

Specialized

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 97.8%
    87   2   1
    Jan 26, 2011
    Highland, IN
    Okay, I'm left handed. And I've been working through this same conundrum for the last 3-4 years. So, I'll let you know what I've figured out and what I've tried, and you can hopefully find a few gun shops and try the feel of some of these pistols yourself. Here we go.

First, while I like the feel of the HK's (USP's, P30, P2000, and variants), I've always found the same issues to be true: the ambi slide releases are huge and in my way, and the triggers on HK's are awful. Long travel, okay-but-not-great reset, etc. Spring jobs help, and I've done several variants to see what I liked (LEM included), and I can't get used to them. Same with Sig's, the triggers in all their incarnations don't work for me. I'm too big a fan of 1911's and I love triggers with very little movement. So that's been it for HK's and Sig's for me.

Had an XD and while I liked the feel okay, still didn't care for the trigger lever and the basic geometry, somehow. That one's a pure personal preference thing. I'd certainly use one, and they're great guns, but I can't get used to the geometry. Same issue for the Glocks, but for a different reason: can't get used to the grip angle, and the harsher recoil feel. Just doesn't work for me, though it works for everybody else in the universe. Even if you can reverse the mag release on the Gen 4's.

I don't like the fit of the Kahr full-size guns, the grips just don't do anything for me. Great guns though, and my PM9 is one of my go-to carry guns. Trigger pull is long, but smooth. Mag release isn't reversible, I don't think.

So here's where it gets interesting. I liked the feel of the old Walther P99's, but didn't care for the trigger. Lo and behold, I stumbled upon a Walther PPQ recently, and found the ergonomics had been improved, the controls to be ambi, and the trigger to be light-years beyond other tupperware guns. I like this one a lot, and will be shooting one in IDPA this weekend in Wisconsin. Lots of good to say about it. Only issues for me are that the ambi slide release levers are large and in my way, and the trigger, while really good with short reset, is still just a bit sloppy for my tastes. And the gun is snappy, with quite a bit of rise upon firing. I have found that it doesn't bother me, though, so I'm continuing to shoot it regularly. Like this gun, and a lot.

The latest gun I've bought is a Smith M&P 9, which I love. Solves the ambi slide release issue (levers are small but very usable), the reversible mag release is there, the ergonomics are first-rate, but still not crazy about the stock trigger. So, I bought and installed Apex Tactical's Forward Set Sear (FSS) & Trigger kit. What I got when I was done is nothing short of spectacular -- this gun has a trigger very much like a 1911's, and is lightning fast and comfortable to boot. It solves all my lefty issues, as well as my pet peeve, the traditional tupperware trigger. It's fast, accurate, and seems solid in everything I've done with it. If you're serious about a polymer-framed gun with a good trigger, this is as good as you're going to get, hands down. As soon as I get more competition trigger time with it in practice, I'll be shooting it in competition, and I'm looking forward to doing well with it.

That's what my experience has been so far. Hope this helps -- good luck in your search.

Specialized

mrfjones

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Chico
    Sig p226, I am not a lefty but I haven't found a gun to fire more accurately than that on. I wish I had the short reset trigger on it but it still shoots great and with minimal practice I have been able to put many rounds (multipal mags) in a very small area. Oh yeah, it has 20 round mags if you like.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Whichever $600 firearm that fits your hand best.

Add $100 of ammo and $300 on safety and skill training from a professional instructor.

Buy a $400 firearm and $200 more instruction if possible - in the long run you will be safer, more accurate, and less obsessed with toys. All of which are a good thing.

seamus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    CZ 75 or, if you want the ambi version, the CZ 85 pistols are clearly superior to the XDm.

CZ 75 is the most popular pistol for military and police of any handgun in use today anywhere in the world. That says something about the quality.
    Now you can get one in highly polished stainless steel too!:rockwoot:

GoBoilers!

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    Heck, if you want a truly ambi pistol, buy "THE TANK" = Ruger P95. LOL

The safety/decocker and mag release are both sides. I like the fact I can shoot it with right or left hand and have full access to controls. I even practice this drill too just in case.

For $1000 you can buy two - so you can have some color variations and still money left for ammo and holsters. But I do like the SA's too. Good luck on the search.
    ---
    GB!

Last edited:

Mordred

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    3 guns you must look at first before buying.
    Beretta 92a1
    S&W M&P 9mm Pro
    and of course
    The Glock 19...what can't you do with this gun (besides cock the hammer)

Not saying you'll like them more, but you have to at least give them a look see.

Top Bottom