• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Skoty

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Then there was a cop a few stalls over using a .357 revolver who tried to teach me how to "improve" my shooting when he placed four of his six rounds into the 6, 5, 4, and 7 rings of his target at 15 feet while his other two shots went rocketing down the range and ricocheting into the bullet trap. Yep, typical police grouping down here (South Florida's SWAT officers know how to shoot though). I was able to place nearly (around 80%) every shot I fired within the 10 and 9 innermost rings at a distance of 35 feet while any stray shots hit the 7 ring. My target was the farthest target out of all of the stalls. .

I mean not to sound like a bad batch of vinegar here but all of this came off to me as showboating. Police have to qualify with pretty decent shooting and having to re-qualify at least yearly. You speak of a target that goes from 10 down to 4, that sounds like a 200 yard rifle target to me. Most silouhette targets are only x-9-8-7. I do not know of the target type you or anyone were shooting at but it all just seems interesting. This post just comes off as "I'm better than you. And the police here are bad shots." As for civilians, i don't care, most shoot their pistol once in the term of owning it.

And as for shooting with SWAT... I don't really know of any SWAT shooting/training at local public ranges when they are open to the public. Yea they might be at a local range during their off duty time, but SWAT at a public open range.. fishy. They shut down Eagle Creek just for regular pistol stuff for LEO's.

All your posts seem to try and dig for a reaction to go against you, which I suppose I fell for it. Just seems like your threads are a "look, hey I'm here!!!! I know more about shooting that you, this gun is crap, that gun is crap, pump shotguns are crap etc etc."

I have nothing against you, I just see someone with Napoleon Syndrome. If I am wrong, please correct me.

alwalker84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Funny you said that. Because I sometimes think the same thing when i go to the range. I walk in and while walking to my stall looking at other peoples targets and bullets are EVERYWHERE!!! But when I shoot im consistantly in the 8, 9 or 10 ring.

Me and my buddy went to pop guns range last night and must have shoot around 400 rounds between 4 guns and only had like 3 rounds (btw the 2 of us) in the 7 rings at 20/25 feet. Everyone elses targets were just randomly litterd with bullets.

Now, anyone who has seen me shoot at FNS knows im no gunslinger....so I think im going to chalk it up as to most people can give a damn where they place the round, they just want to pull the trigger.

As for the post above me...

586Cover.jpg

Rollo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    North Central
    My issue is that I change up guns a lot. A carried a sigma for about 2 months. Could never get the hang of it so i got rid of it and got a Glock 19. Great gun and I got fairly accurate with it but I want something smaller. Now I'm looking at a Taurus slim. The only thing I shoot what I consider to be well is my Colt 1911. Unfortuanetly it gets the least range time.

Professor Thump

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2009
    Indy
    My issue is that I change up guns a lot. A carried a sigma for about 2 months. Could never get the hang of it so i got rid of it and got a Glock 19. Great gun and I got fairly accurate with it but I want something smaller. Now I'm looking at a Taurus slim. The only thing I shoot what I consider to be well is my Colt 1911. Unfortuanetly it gets the least range time.

Careful that trend can carry on to girlfriends or wives. I have that problem with guitars and guns also. Thank goodness that trend hasn't transferred to my 23 years of marriage.

jd3772000

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    Indy
    Am i good enough? This was yesterday wit xd-9sc and M&P .40 full size...Im beginning to see im getting better i guess..

100_2462.jpg

Adrenaline

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    North Carolina
    Careful that trend can carry on to girlfriends or wives. I have that problem with guitars and guns also. Thank goodness that trend hasn't transferred to my 23 years of marriage.
    :rockwoot:Congrats on having such a long relationship, hopefully I will be as blessed as you in that area. And about this tragic boating accident, was it involving a gunshot to the boat floor? WHY were all your guns on your boat? Sounds like you were placing all your eggs in one basket, no more boating with guns for you!

As for this thread, the gun range is a place for people to go practice, and I would gladly pay $100 to $300 for some accuracy training, but might just wait til my man gets home so he can train me up better/take classes with me (until then I will just try to practice and absorb what I can). And you will always get arrogant people who think they know everything trying to give you advice...but you will also find people who honestly know what they are talking about too (ok maybe not in Florida, but you never know).

deo62

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    perhaps in florida they would be better off throwing the firearm at the target( much larger projectile, increase accuracy)

IDCC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Orange County
    Stainless firearms and other corrosion resistant finishes are popular in Florida for the obvious reasons. You dont want to know how many rusted blued guns that I had to clean up at the shop I worked at.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    We get all kinds at Eagle Creek. A good majority of the folks that show up are good shots and good folks. Once in a while, we are treated to the occasional, "one hit wonder"....

I would not really regionalize it like that. I have shot in quite a few places in the nation, bad shots (and folks that shoot horrible, but they are "professionals") are everywhere.

My favorites are boyfriends that show up to "teach their girlfriend how to shoot". Either the girlfriend ends up shooting better than him (real fun car ride for a guy with that kind of ego) or the guy hurts his thumb from holding the gun improperly and has the slide come across his hand when it fires. Those are almost constant and classic!

The others are the "military" types that are there to show everyone how to shoot. They were spaceshuttledoorgunnertacticalninjadeathgaswielders in the past and blame their terrible (and I mean terrible, 7 yards looks like a blind man's shotgun target) shooting on "skill degradation". They usually bring a friend and are there to teach them that 9mm sucks, that gun you brought sucks and that you need (insert certain caliber/gun combination here).

Iceandfire

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2009
    7 miles from Medora, IN
    You're right about South Florida shooters, at least in my experience. I've only shot at one public range there, but it seemed everyone thought I was a great shooter. (I'm not a great shooter.)

Spectre.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    Hey Skoty, I'm not the best shooter, thank you. But I'm glad you make assumptions and take everything written too seriously. If you think it was your mistake to respond to my threads which aren't good enough, then it's my mistake thinking all of the people on this site actually have relaxed, informed thoughts on firearms. Take care.

Also, while the vast majority of Miami shooters (myself included, right Skoty?) aren't as skilled as many people up north who are able to embrace shooting without the desire of looking cool, there have been a few exceptions. One guy was using his Sharps rifle at an outdoor range and I was shocked at his abilities to adjust from long and short range targets. He let me fire a box of his ammo and I've gotta tell you, anyone who owns one of those incredible rifles has a truly amazing firearm. He was from Indiana and he used my shots on the paper as targets themselves. I was shocked. But other than the seemingly supernatural Sharps sharpshooter and the SWAT officers I've seen at the range, there really hasn't been many people I've wanted to walk up to and ask for any advice and tips.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    :laugh6: Including the rangemasters.
    The d**khead one always asks what you're going to be shooting. Twice he has asked "Is that a handgun" when I mention the Remington 870s :n00b:

Anybody notice how the 25 yrd range has some polls with chickenwire about 10 feet out from the red line on the first stand? Is that supposed to be a target holder or is that just for replacement clothespins?

Spectre.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    Waranglecometh, please don't get me started on the Florida drivers. Every simple ride on the road turns into a life or death situation where turn signals don't count, stop signs mean "beat the other person through it", and coming to a complete stop to make a right turn on a green light is common. I'm sorry you've had the experience of "driving" with these people. When you come down here on the road it's every man for himself.

Oh and IDCC, sorry it took so long to respond but I saw those SCG guys practicing at Trail Glades range down here. My only assumption is that they were just getting some practice trigger time.

Top Bottom