• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Captianbullseye

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jul 31, 2014
    Indianapolis
    To start off I would like to give the biggest thanks to my uncle, Bobjones223, for guiding me on this trip. On the morning of 11/20/16 around 7 am, I was just settling into a double stand with my uncle. Waking up and walking outside around 5:30, I was surprised to notice that the predicted winds of near 18 miles an hour were not gusting. Instead, I was very happy that the morning was calm, especially in the stand. As the minutes passed and the cold seeped in I occupied myself by listening to the coyotes in the distance, watching the birds wake, and the sun rise. After an hour of shivering I start getting urgently nudged in my right side, and I hear "Grab the gun, grab the gun." I grab the gun and look over to the right to see a buck walking straight at our stand, he was on a mission too. With the gun shouldered and the cross hairs on my target I wait for the shot, anxiously following my deer strut towards me. As soon as he was broadside I hear my uncle grunt, see the deer stop,and I pulled the trigger. I am not ashamed to tell you that I made a bad shot, cause I did. I hit him too far back, a gut shot, and my practice will continue for next season. We wait for a half an hour for the deer to hopefully pass, and start to track. With the first sign of blood my nerves start to calm, it was a good amount, but when the trail started to get less and less(down to a droplet every 10 feet) I started to get worried more and more. But after an hour of my uncles tracking, I look over into a ravine and see a set of antlers...and then the body of my buck. He passed in a tiny creek, 400 yards away from the stand. To say I was happy would be saying the least, but that is the story of my best deer, which is also my first ever. I am 15 years old.
    IMG_20161120_091440307_zpsrvvaxdus.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    He did well and the timing was right....I think we may have left a couple of hand warmers along the way through..... Sorry but I love using them to mark the blood spots you find to keep track of direction. He did a great job helping me track him and I was glad to help him get his first deer.

I did tell him I ruined him for life with that being his first deer!!!

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    He did well and the timing was right....I think we may have left a couple of hand warmers along the way through..... Sorry but I love using them to mark the blood spots you find to keep track of direction. He did a great job helping me track him and I was glad to help him get his first deer.

I did tell him I ruined him for life with that being his first deer!!!

It's hard to tell by the pic but that looks like a very big bodied deer with a solid rack on him. It's going to be very hard to duplicate that chore.
    On the other hand.... I've got a buddy that's a BIG deer magnet. It's common for him to be walking back to the truck and a dumb big buck will walk in range of him.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    You learned that the shooting skill dictates the tracking job. Aim small, miss small. 50yd tracking job after a heart shot is much preferred to 400 yds, or worse, all day and no deer at the end. Done that once or twice. It sux.

Top Bottom