The best disaster preparedness website I have ever seen!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shftn6

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    NW Monroe Co.
    I just wanted to turn you guys on to this site. It is without a doubt the best, most exhaustive cookbook approach I have ever seen. Not just for TEOTWAWKI, but for lesser events that we would be more likely to encounter.

HURRICANE KATRINA

This guy lived through the Katrina debacle, made lots of mistakes, and then took what he learned and did something about it, including investing countless hours in a free website so that others might benefit from what he learned. It's called "Listening to Katrina". It's a step-by-step guide to working through the process, with copious links, a workbook and worksheets, projects, video links to some of the craziness that went on with Katrina, etc. I thought it was just excellent! Take a little time to work through the links on the left side of the page, starting with "How to use this site", and then work through HYST (Have Your S**t Together) step by step. It has literally caused a major change in my thinking on how to prep since I started reading it! Enjoy!

TheDude

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Southeast Kentuckiana.
    Nice common sense site, thanks. Rep'd

A tidbit of that common sense,

Bugging out sucks. If 'sucks' is a little vague, then let me just say that bugging out is a wonderful theory that works out less than optimally in actual practice, to the point of being a very bad option in many circumstances. Large scale evacuations generally turn into unworkable nightmares quickly.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I have been a prep-per for a good many years.I can say THANK YOU.That is truly one of the absolute best sites I have ever visited.No hysteria,real applications,and very useful knowledge from some people who had to put themselves to the test(and what they learned).Thank you very much for the link.And you get a very well earned rep from me.
    HYST!

ratboy32

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2009
    I read his story. It is scary about how much sense he makes and how we just take a lot basic things for granted. It also shows a lot of things about how the government runs during a disaster and how we need to take care of our family and ourselves better.

shftn6

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    NW Monroe Co.
    I would also like to take the liberty of linking to the one page that completely changed my thinking as it pertains to prepping-

HURRICANE KATRINA

BOBs, BOVs, how many mags to carry on your war belt, and the most expeditious methods to slay the zombie hordes are all good things to consider, but each of us is FAR more likely to suffer a personal disaster in the form of a home fire. Most of us have no idea how much hassle and time is involved just trying to rebuild your life after such an event, assuming you still have your life! Shaun's concept of HYST (Having Your S**t Together) in the form of essential personal documents (social security card, scanned family photographs, etc) is something all of us can do, with very little cash outlay. It covers your vulnerabilities in reference to your most likely personal disaster (fire) and is completely necessary and useful in other less likely scenarios (tornados being #2, and earthquakes being #3 in Indiana). You'll need all of this info to begin REBUILDING YOUR LIFE AFTER the big event, whether it's a home fire, or TEOTWAWKI. His 60 second plan helps make sure you get this stuff, as well as you and yours to safety quickly. The nature of these "biggest three" emergencies that we Hoosiers face DEMANDS a response in 60 seconds or less!

This site in general and this page in particular persuaded me to refocus my efforts on preparing for the most likely events FIRST, and then once that is in place, give some thought to nuclear disaster and those zombie hordes.

17Chap

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Thanks for the link. Great resource. I've only scanned it but have saved it and will look more carefully as time allows.

I live in tornado country. We are also susceptible to power outages due to ice storms. These are the things top of my list. Also a several months ago there was a small accident involving an anhydrous tanker upwind of us. It was not serious, but it could have been. We could have had to grab everything and run. Plans are good.

Thanks again,

Jess

Top Bottom