The best Metals to invest in are Brass and Lead.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The issue more likely would be what is the SHTF event...

That's true ! SHTF can mean different things to different people. To some, it could just be a prolonged period of rough economic times where PM's could have great value.

I can envision several scenario's where PM's could possibly come in handy, but I would never advocate anyone buying PM's until some simple basics were taken care of first.

The dilemma I have always struggled with is if I had to bug out, do I haul that extra 50-100 rounds or do I leave it behind and take that bag of 90%
    silver ?

tatertot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    This topic reminds me of a great quote from a friend. " If you have food and I have a gun, guess what? I now have food".

Richwon4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Northern IN
    I'd say Gold, and still feel that way in moderation, but look at what the gov. did with Gold a little ways back. So I'd have to say firearms are a good investment ;) There will never be a shortage of people wanting firearms, especially as restrictions become more demand goes up along with the price. My first hand gun was purchased for $390 Just before BO took office. It is now going for $570. That is a pretty radical jump and I know is not the norm, but just one example. Another thing, Ammo, when ammo became really hard to get after again BO took office. Just my thoughts...I have not opted out of Pension Plans...yet lol.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This topic reminds me of a great quote from a friend. " If you have food and I have a gun, guess what? I now have food".

That is the real truth in all of this. Barter, trade, wheel and deal. If a group sees you with plenty they will attempt to end you and take it. Human nature at its simplest.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    and when the economy turns sour before the true collapse and the government comes after you to take your house and land because you can't pay your taxes what then?

When the world rights itself somewhat and you want to buy 5 sheep and the other fella doesn't need your cows or what have you, what then?

Firearms, food, water, shelter are all necessities. Stock up on them most certainly. Just remember that the means to trade for them without having to lug around the items in question can be a lifesaver unto itself.

Kmcinnes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Hendricks County
    It all depends on the SHTF situation in my opinion, That being said.....being prepared is being prepared for any situation and covering as many bases for survival as I can for my family. I have not invested in gold, silver, lead, or Brass but I do keep around plenty of steel and aluminum (I work with these materials now so they wont go to waste) because I feel it will be useful for material, and my skills with it being even more valuable. The best value in my book is good ol' Knowledge and Knowhow! With that said, yes we have plenty of Ammo, food yada, yada, yada but my tax guy might not have any true skill set to get him through a long term financial collapse other than telling me we are screwed lol.

ocsdor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    As for myself, I am keeping my "portfolio" diversified. I don't know what the SHTF will be, so I try to prepare a little for several scenarios.

PMs, Guns & Ammo, ability to grow food, and legal claim to property are all worthy of having; and each has different values depending on the scenario.

Perhaps I read the wrong history books, but I didn't read anything about mass zombie attacks during the Great Depression. I did see pictures of many serfs standing in bread lines and going hungry.

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    The dilemma I have always struggled with is if I had to bug out, do I haul that extra 50-100 rounds or do I leave it behind and take that bag of 90% silver ?
    ... which just happens to be worth $30,000 at this point. You have poor perspective. I have recently bartered 20 gal. of gasoline for $1.00-Silver. And again, 20 rounds of Win. Silvertip .45acp for a tank of gas. Silver and bullets each have values based upon more than your apparent willingness to shoot-em-up in exchange for something else that you value.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I argued this very point several months ago and several people were very adamant that Gold & Silver are the only precious metals that you can reliably invest your money in to prep for SHTF. :dunno:

IMHO, copper, lead, tin are 3 very valuable metals that actually have a cost effective use. Gold is "valuable" because we place "value" on because it's always been "valuable". But when you break it down, it's only real value is it's rarity. Modern manufacturing techniques have come far beyond hammering things into shape by hand, and that was where the major value was placed on gold (it malleability).

These metals won't necessarily help you get through the shtf, but they will become very valuable as things start to rebuild and people attempt to return to some semblance of normal.

These metals are can be used to make ammo, electrical products/items, and many more things... their uses are nearly limitless, and they will be the ones that really pay off in the long run, IMHO.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    ... which just happens to be worth $30,000 at this point.

Wasn't referring to a 1000 face bag. Was comparing (weight) of 50-100 rounds of lets say 9mm to equal weight of silver.

100 rd 9mm in BOB = 42 oz... Value could very easily be priceless.

42 oz 90% silver = Much less than that $30,000. :)

Top Bottom