• ...and so much more!
  • VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Jeezus, somebody needs a Snickers....:rolleyes:

Nope Broom is right. There was a panic and the flippers perpetuated the problem. Not sure if the enemy was us or not because I don't think it was the people who actually shoot guns causing the problems. I have zero problems with people buying as much of anything they want but my guess is millions of rounds of .22 are going to waste in the bottoms of closets and hidden in attics. In the mean time I see Boy Scout troops and Scholastic Pistol Program asking for donatations or contacting the ammunition manufacturers. I traded of several .22 pistols and invested in a Dillon press because I can roll 9mm plinking rounds for about the same price as .22.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Nope Broom is right. There was a panic and the flippers perpetuated the problem. Not sure if the enemy was us or not because I don't think it was the people who actually shoot guns causing the problems. I have zero problems with people buying as much of anything they want but my guess is millions of rounds of .22 are going to waste in the bottoms of closets and hidden in attics. In the mean time I see Boy Scout troops and Scholastic Pistol Program asking for donatations or contacting the ammunition manufacturers. I traded of several .22 pistols and invested in a Dillon press because I can roll 9mm plinking rounds for about the same price as .22.

Same here. Actually seen it back then in action. Was at Rural King looking for .22's they were out. Picked up some other things went to pay the people behind me had .22's along with several others with ammo in their cart. They were all limited out so I asked, like 20 minutes have went by, so go to to get some. The store dropped off the skid and the ammo was completely gone.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Nope Broom is right. There was a panic and the flippers perpetuated the problem.

This part is true. What is not correct is that people who stockpile BEFORE there are any shortages cause any problem. It's the people who don't have a stash to get them through shortages who then flip out and overreact who cause the problem. Someone who has enough on hand to last them through a shortage who therefore doesn't buy any during a shortage actually helps ease the shortage.

I have a large stash of .22, all of which was bought when there was plenty on the shelves. I could shoot for ten more years and not have to buy any. In the last three years I have bought well below the replacement rate for what I shoot and have sold a few boxes to friends at cost to keep them supplied. I'd like someone to tell me exactly how that makes the shortage worse. Broom's 1500 rounds would last me about three months.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Still working on the stuff I bought in the 80s, probably have to think about getting more in the future. The plastic yellow boxes are getting brittle as well.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Still working on the stuff I bought in the 80s, probably have to think about getting more in the future. The plastic yellow boxes are getting brittle as well.

Really! Back in them days I shot it as fast I got. Never even considered stocking up until The last 8 years.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    My Suppresed 22's like the CCI Standard Velocity and shoot them Subsonic. They are way cheaper at $6 per 100 than the Gemtech rounds so I just picked up another 20 boxes. My Grandkids will be shooting these up when it warms up.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Some people can't understand that a normal (to me) shooter would keep over 10,000 rounds of .22LR. Back in the days of Galyans, when my daughter was pre-college we would go out virtually every weekend and shoot at least two brick worth, which was one thousand rounds. The guys in Galyans new us and when they saw us coming almost immediately pulled out a case (5000 rounds) of .22LR. They also had a nice 10% discount for buying 10 boxes (one brick counted as a box so the ten in the case earned us the discount). Those cases set me back a whopping $60 plus tax back then. How times have changed.

After Galyan got stolen, I would buy by the case online. Once my daughter went off to college and my shooting days eased up, I wound up with what today would be considered a hoard, but by the amounts we used to shoot, it was only a couple of month's worth.

So if this guy truly wants to sell his .22LR, how about putting together a list of what he has, publish it here and watch the feeding frenzy begin. :D :D :D

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Really! Back in them days I shot it as fast I got. Never even considered stocking up until The last 8 years.

A wholesaler in Ohio went out of business back in 80s when I was an FFL and I went over there with a pickup truck and a lot of cash. Still working out of that pile of stuff today, some will likely be auctioned when I pass on.

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    A wholesaler in Ohio went out of business back in 80s when I was an FFL and I went over there with a pickup truck and a lot of cash. Still working out of that pile of stuff today, some will likely be auctioned when I pass on.

Leadeye, did you store it any special way for all those years? Any misfire issues starting to happen with it as it gets older?

bonkers1919

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Columbus
    Not FLIPPING ammo. Changing from .22LR to only WMR. He has various manufacturers, grains and bullet types. I didn't want him to walk into a LGS and sell the stuff. Just trying to get some money for an older friend.

Bsubtown

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 19, 2013
    Dekalb county
    Not FLIPPING ammo. Changing from .22LR to only WMR. He has various manufacturers, grains and bullet types. I didn't want him to walk into a LGS and sell the stuff. Just trying to get some money for an older friend.

This is IMPOSSIBLE. Anyone who would every want to sell their 22LR is a flipper through and through who deserves a Toshiba size loss on their folly. /sarc

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.

All the comments notwithstanding.

Start by listing it here on INGO and see how it goes. It seems to becoming a buyers market a little right now. Good luck to your friend.

:ingo:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour

Most LGS do not buy ammo from individuals, others might. Regardless they won't pay more then what the store can buy it for wholesale. Just like most people won't pay more then retail so long as ammo is on the shelf. Last time I was in my LGS they had plenty of .22 ammo and I even saw 5000 round cases online.

Bwframe and I have both expressed interest and we are local. I agree with the suggestion to get a round count and price then offer it up on INGO.

Top Bottom