• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SMHurt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    The Black Talon would have been "better than apple butter" or "the cats meow" but the name included black which scared the police policy makers. This hurt or killed LE bullet sales. Had they used a different name, I was told this bullet would have been used by the majority of law enforcement. I actually remember when this bullet came out.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    BEHOLD!!

0714002234a.jpg

What's is like holding these you ask?!...............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCaf3n3n86U

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    Bad press was the only thing that killed the Black Talon. They still use the coating on their hunting bullets to reduce friction in the barrel, and increase velocity. Apparently its ok to use them on 4 legged animals and not 2 legged ones. Winchester will still not sell individuals Ranger ammo, they have restricted themselves from selling it to non LEO. This is just their policy, which is why you can buy it at some gun shops. I guess since the design of the bullet is the same they thought the anti-gun media might come after them again. They should of known better to think that the anti-gunners were smart enough to know it is the same bullet minus the black coating.

Armed Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Several months ago I was at a gun store that I don't normally shop, just looking around. There was an "Old Timer" behind the counter and an older guy standing there talking to him. I heard the customer ask the counter guy if he was interested in buying some ammo, the customer pulled out a purple booze bootle bag and placed three boxes of ammo on the counter. The counter guy acted like they were laced with cooties and told him to get them out of his store. The customer asked why and the counter guy said "those are Black Talons, cop killers and are illegal and if he wanted to get rid of them he would have to bury them in the ground". The customer than took his stuff and left. The "Old Timer" looked at me and said "that guy is asking for trouble". At that time I did not know enough about these bullets but I had heard all the myths, so I did not want to engage in conversation with the counter guy.
    But this is an honest to God true story!
    I wish I had known now what I didn't know then, Cause I could have bought three boxes of them, probably cheap.

Top Bottom