Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Nice read here:
    The Box O' Truth #16 - Level IIIA Armor - Page 1

Look at what the 7.62x39 round does. Ouch!

--From the article---
    Lessons learned:
    1. Level IIIA armor stopped the handgun bullets tested, just as designed. Either JHPs or Ball.

2. Once again, "Rifles are rifles and pistols are pistols". Rifles went right through, just as expected.

3. The armor stopped 00 Buck and Rifled Slugs.

4. If your adversery is wearing armor, don't depend on pistols or shotguns. Go for a rifle. As Clint Smith says, "The only purpose for a pistol is to fight your way back to the rifle you should have never laid down".

5. And, as always, shooting stuff is fun.
    smile.gif

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Ha.. but look at this one Shooter521.

Rifle against 2 hard plates and a soft one and it still does not work (at range but at close up yes).

Those are just "trauma plates," which are designed to reduce the blunt trauma from a gunshot by further dispersing the impact energy. They are not themselves ballistically rated, do not improve the protection level of a soft armor vest, and are NOT the same thing as a rifle plate (i.e. hard armor).

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    Just goes to show that there is always something that will get through and kill ya. If you don't want to get killed use some cover and advance under a screen of suppressing fire, preferably coming from a pack of circling A-10s dropping 500pnd JDAMs and using there 30mm cannons. :yesway:

Soft armor is almost useless once rifles are introduced to the fight. Which brings up the point that you shouldn't bring a pistol to a gun fight.

GetA2J

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Terre Haute,Indiana
    I understand the concept of "punching through" the vests to provide a "kill". however the "big dents" in the clay would produce some stopping effect and provide time for officials to make a move while the suspect with the vest is catching his breath.

Am I right?
    or am I misguided?

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I understand the concept of "punching through" the vests to provide a "kill". however the "big dents" in the clay would produce some stopping effect and provide time for officials to make a move while the suspect with the vest is catching his breath.

Am I right?
    or am I misguided?

A hit to the vest that does not penetrate may cause some blunt trauma but is unlikely to effect a stop. Look at the North Hollywood robbers; each of them took multiple hits in the armor but were still able to move and shoot.

IMO, the big dents in the clay are misleading; clay does not bounce back like human flesh and organs.

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008

Am I right?
    or am I misguided?

The hits to the body armor would have about the same impact on you as the butt of the gun has on your shoulder or the grip has on your hand.

Ie, not much.

Certainly not enough to stop a determined attacker.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    So you are 30 yrds away from your vest wearing adversary and your rifle has a major malfunction. Are you going to transition to your handgun or take the time to do some work on your jacked up rifle?

Same as above but you are with a buddy and he yells "Cover" Transition or un-Jack your rifle?

Top Bottom