The Bullet Bubble: Is Ammo The Next Bitcoin, Or Gold In The 1970s?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Colarmel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2013
    Greater Fort Wayne Area
    I love his disclaimer at the end.

Also it's great to hear reputable sources claiming the end of the shortage is nigh (ish) Nothing terribly surprising in the content though. I doubt it does anything to slow the aluminum shortage of 2013.

:tinfoil:

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Wow. -1 on that article for quoting Federal (never thought I would type that) for the FAQ entry:

What is the shelf life of ammo and storage?

Store reloading components and ammunition in a cool, dry place, protected from direct exposure to sunlight. If stored properly there is a 10-year shelf life on loaded ammunition.

PapaScout

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 30, 2008
    Live in Wilbur, Work in Indy
    I had a couple of friends come over this past weekend and we shot around 100 each of .40 and 762x39, plus about 20 .357.

It was a great time but I felt kinda sick after not knowing when I'll be able to replace it.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I had a couple of friends come over this past weekend and we shot around 100 each of .40 and 762x39, plus about 20 .357.

It was a great time but I felt kinda sick after not knowing when I'll be able to replace it.

I've seen all of that in stock at several LGS. Indy Trading Post, Beech Grove Firearms, and 256 Sport & Garden could restock you and they haven't went into panic pricing mode.

The only calibers that people seem to be totally out of locally is 9mm and .22LR.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    A few issues with the writer - 22 longs are NOT 22 Long Rifle. I have had many firearms since the 1950's - had a couple semi-auto rifles that would shoot both 22 long and long rifle, but not shorts. One was a Remington that had a knurled knob on the rear of the receiver to adjust the spring pressure to shoot short, long and long rifle, never would function semi-auto with shorts.

Second, don't know what nitwit gives a 10 year storage life for ammo! This might (maybe) be true if they were stored in a shipwreck at 200 ft down. I routinely shoot ammo over 50 years old! Don't know for sure when the 30-06 Greek ammo sold by the CMP was produced for the Garand, but pretty sure it was over 10 years ago - shot a few rounds a couple weeks ago - wouldn't have wanted to be in front of the Garand's my son and I were shooting with the "old, bad" ammo!

The only rounds that we have had any duds was some surplus 7.62 X 25. (Probably stored improperly). Heck I have had a lot of ammo that was old when I purchased it 20 years ago, still chronographs at the same speed as rated and never misfires.

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    A few issues with the writer - 22 longs are NOT 22 Long Rifle. I have had many firearms since the 1950's - had a couple semi-auto rifles that would shoot both 22 long and long rifle, but not shorts. One was a Remington that had a knurled knob on the rear of the receiver to adjust the spring pressure to shoot short, long and long rifle, never would function semi-auto with shorts.

Second, don't know what nitwit gives a 10 year storage life for ammo! This might (maybe) be true if they were stored in a shipwreck at 200 ft down. I routinely shoot ammo over 50 years old! Don't know for sure when the 30-06 Greek ammo sold by the CMP was produced for the Garand, but pretty sure it was over 10 years ago - shot a few rounds a couple weeks ago - wouldn't have wanted to be in front of the Garand's my son and I were shooting with the "old, bad" ammo!

The only rounds that we have had any duds was some surplus 7.62 X 25. (Probably stored improperly). Heck I have had a lot of ammo that was old when I purchased it 20 years ago, still chronographs at the same speed as rated and never misfires.

All that CMP ammo has the date stamped on the casing. Most of the stuff I have in my cache is from the early or mid 70s and is from Greek Powder and Cartridge Company (HXP). I have had one single round that did not fire out of the many hundreds I have shot over the years.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Bradis wanted $27 for a 50 round box of 9mm makarov!! Uh, no thanks. I love bradis and have been a customer the whole time they have been a shop but I can't pay those prices. I ca do better online.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Why does anyone believe it is a bubble? Is it really just Normalcy Bias applied to ammo? I think so.

Ammo prices haven't gone parabolic and the guy on the street isn't going out and cashing out his IRA to buy ammo.

BTW, Gold wasn't a bubble in the 1970's. It had been priced suppressed and moved up to market price. Very different from bubble.

Bitcoin......man that's another topic. Can currency be in a bubble? I'm not sure.

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    I've seen all of that in stock at several LGS. Indy Trading Post, Beech Grove Firearms, and 256 Sport & Garden could restock you and they haven't went into panic pricing mode.

The only calibers that people seem to be totally out of locally is 9mm and .22LR.

I know sport n garden is gtg but I wouldnt try ace's gun counter in scottsburg, last time I was there I seen 9mm going for $49.99 a box , if your looking for mags though, try cabin fever, he has a ton in stock for most popular models, even pmags.

Top Bottom