• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Interesting article on how the tribal leaders of Pakistan are banning vaccinations on the revelation that doctor Shakil Afridi was a CIA asset.
    I really hadn't given much thought to it beforehand.

"“Medical neutrality is outlined in the Hippocratic Oath and is delineated in the Geneva Conventions,” said a Johns Hopkins press release that accompanied a letter to Obama from 12 prominent public health officials this past January."

I assume most here are, get Bin Laden no matter what it takes, but interesting to see which moral principles we're willing to suspend, medical neutrality and the cost it could potentially have,in the pursuit of justice.

Inside the CIA's Role in Pakistan's Polio Outbreak | Motherboard

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Just another fine example of the US government screwing things up for people. Too bad the doctor didn't tell them to get bent when they approached him. The blowback from this has already cost the lives not just of the kids who've contracted polio, but a number of health workers who've been murdered by the Taliban and similar groups.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I see Al Jazzera is an advertiser on this site...great minds think a like, I'm betting.

For the sake of argument, let's assume the article is correct...the only problems I see is the allegiance of tribal leaders to an enemy of the USA over the health and well being of the people they supposedly lead.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I see Al Jazzera is an advertiser on this site...great minds think a like, I'm betting.

For the sake of argument, let's assume the article is correct...the only problems I see is the allegiance of tribal leaders to an enemy of the USA over the health and well being of the people they supposedly lead.

My question is about the disregard for medical neutrality.

Also Vice is one of the best news sources around

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County

For international and foreign policy related news, especially as it relates to the ME I'll take Al Jazeera over Faux or MSNBC any day of the week. I've found AJ to be spot on with many of their pieces and they get there before most of the ones you might trust. Give them a shot and see if your preconceptions don't get overturned.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    For international and foreign policy related news, especially as it relates to the ME I'll take Al Jazeera over Faux or MSNBC any day of the week. I've found AJ to be spot on with many of their pieces and they get there before most of the ones you might trust. Give them a shot and see if your preconceptions don't get overturned.

It's one of them muslim names though, don't trust em. The muslims are taking over the country, they're already here. According to my fox news obsessed grandparents at least. hah

yepthatsme

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Right Here
    My question is about the disregard for medical neutrality.

I'm sure that this isn't the first time that this has happened, especially during wartime situations. It's a shame that it happens, but refusing all vaccinations due to this situation is the real tragedy. That tragedy is their choice, not ours. Just my :twocents: for what it is worth.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    The kids chose? My question, as I've said many times already, is whether people think violating the Geneva convention and medical neutrality was ok. Basically if sliding on your morals is alright in the pursuit of justice.

Those in charge made the choice. The people they govern have to deal with the consequences of those choices. Like usual. That's how it works.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Those in charge made the choice. The people they govern have to deal with the consequences of those choices. Like usual. That's how it works.

My question, as I've said many times already, is whether people think violating the Geneva convention and medical neutrality was ok. Basically if sliding on your morals is alright in the pursuit of justice.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    My question, as I've said many times already, is whether people think violating the Geneva convention and medical neutrality was ok. Basically if sliding on your morals is alright in the pursuit of justice.

I don't care what your question is, and I'm not addressing it. I'm not a doctor, have never taken the Hippocratic Oath, don't know squat about it, and it doesn't apply to me. The Pakistanis have the right to accept or decline medical treatment for any reason they want, or no reason at all. They chose to decline. Now they get to deal with the ramifications of their decision.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Imagine if the KGB were sneaking around in the United States harvesting DNA and pulling their covert ops on unsuspecting people. Imagine if they launched covert raids and landed soldiers on our soil to disappear somebody.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Imagine if the KGB were sneaking around in the United States harvesting DNA and pulling their covert ops on unsuspecting people. Imagine if they launched covert raids and landed soldiers on our soil to disappear somebody.

What makes you so sure they haven't done just that?

The drug cartels get away with it regularly.

The Mexican military has come across the border and fired on our people.

And the KGB has surely had a presence in this country as well. You'd be a fool if you think they haven't.

Top Bottom