• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kpt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 11, 2010
    Northeast Indy
    I had never seen or heard of this show until last night...
    What are the rules they have? I caught the 12 hour quarantine... can they not lock the gates?
    During most of the show I had this voice screaming in my head "SECURITY!"
    They will learn, or they will have their resources taken.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Just getting to the second batch of looters. DVRed it.

I'm surprised they let the artist have the knife. That's to valuable a resource to give to someone who isn't doing much work, and is a douchebag to boot.

I think it's a good thought exercise above all else. What would you do differently and such.

MarkM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    Brownsburg
    I kept remembering last season and didn't even bother with it. I guess ill have to watch the rerun when it comes on.

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    No spears? No homemade weaopns? No hidden traps after the 1st encounter? No formal security procedures? No stashing supplies in 4-5 different locations? Kill the 1st intruder, hang his body at the gate with a sign "Enter and this will be you". Yeah, I know that's a bit strong, but what a deterent!

I was getting more and more p#%@^*d the longer I watched it. Finally took the view "here's what not to do" and finished watching it.

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN
    No spears? No homemade weaopns? No hidden traps after the 1st encounter? No formal security procedures? No stashing supplies in 4-5 different locations? Kill the 1st intruder, hang his body at the gate with a sign "Enter and this will be you". Yeah, I know that's a bit strong, but what a deterent!

I was getting more and more p#%@^*d the longer I watched it. Finally took the view "here's what not to do" and finished watching it.

Not a bad idea...:D

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    it was a cool episode but really they are a joke. i mean i know they can't just haul off and crack boys with those metal pipes but they should have been swinging them a lot more. blah either way they definitely need to step up their game because really those looters would have took everything not just the medical supplies

Hellion_1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    Putnam County
    I didn't like the first one because of the people they had in it. To many technical people and not enough "everyday Joe" types. Both sides should be issued paintball weapons to simulate real weapons. That is a major part of what is missing I think. It is too easy to be lax in security, or be serious, when you know that your life and the lives of the people in your group won't "really" be in danger.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    I didn't like the first one because of the people they had in it. To many technical people and not enough "everyday Joe" types. Both sides should be issued paintball weapons to simulate real weapons. That is a major part of what is missing I think. It is too easy to be lax in security, or be serious, when you know that your life and the lives of the people in your group won't "really" be in danger.

That's a good idea.

Yeah, you could tell at the start of the "looting" that both sides were play acting, but towards the end you could see some individuals on both sides taking it a little further.

Not having a ready barricade for the door was their biggest mistake. Having to much gear outside another. Not having a signaling device, like banging on pots, or pipes, to bring everyone to alert. Not falling immediately back to inside, barricading the door, and then defending from the stair case. Not having an additional barricade at the stair case.

Spreading out their gear to other places would be a no-go. Remember they went back for the batteries and they were gone. I'm certain "looters" are sent in at random intervals, including at night. They may or may not get orders to interact with the "colony." I also have a feeling that the looters are getting tips on where things were. How did they know to go right upstairs to get the medicine?

Then there's the whole issue of not telling strangers that you have anything period. Sure, give them water because it's visible. But the rest should be inside as much as possible.

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    I would think stashing a few supplies at different SECURE locations would increase you odds of survival. If the looters found 1 stash, you've still got a few hidden. They may think they got it all and move on down the hiway or decide that you've got nothing left and it's not worth fighting over. Better to lose 20% of your stuff than 100%.

Of course, I would prefer not to lose anything. Take out a leader or 2 and a mob quickly loses steam.

ThePhantom86

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2010
    Columbus
    Remember these people are not survival experts. Learn what you can from it and yell at the screen when they are being stuipd. Maybe these people will learn security faster than last season. I don't think they ever did last season.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    Remember these people are not survival experts. Learn what you can from it and yell at the screen when they are being stuipd. Maybe these people will learn security faster than last season. I don't think they ever did last season.

+1 on this post. we ***** and moan about what they are doing wrong but they obviously don't think like most of us or have ever given survival a second thought past camping on the weekend. I just hope regular people can gleem something from the show and act accordingly or at least look into it a little more.

seanamus

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Remember these people are not survival experts.
    Neither am I but MY GOD they have no brains at all i mean "hey lets give them OUR food from OUR already extremely limited supplies yep sounds great"
    i also like how that girl tried to lock the door buy shoving the pipe under the door knob LOL what a joke and for gods sake at least split up the supplies i mean what if it catches on fire???

Ironsights

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Michigan City
    Last edited:

match14

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    South Central IN.
    Did you not see the footage of LA California back in 92? The mobs form quick, and the looting is violent. Be prepared for large numbers the moment something goes down.
    This year, in Oakland, on the day of an unpopular court verdict:
    Oakland 2010 riots, looting after manslaughter verdict in BART shooting trial (video, photos)

Although I do remember the Rodney King riots, I was in elementary school, so it didn't seem of high importance then. Somehow to me California always seems to be a far off place. That being said I purposely try not to live in any big cities so hopefully I'll be able to get out of dodge before a large gang of looters shows up. I think that they really need to post someone at a high vantage point as a lookout, in addition to fortifying.
    We'll see how the next episode goes.

Ironsights

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Michigan City
    You're surrounded by relatively large population centers. Just exactly how do you plan to bug out? The interstate will turn into an expressway of death.

That stack of 5 rail containers would be a much safer place to hole up in. Get the colony set up in the topmost container. It's a vantage point. It's metal, so it's safe, and you can pull the ladder up after you to make it defensible.
    You can even have your fire up there, since you won't burn down the structure.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom