• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    In 1967 I worked at Hires Auto Parts in Ft Wayne. Bob Hire (one of the owners) taught me a valuable lesson. The customer is not always right, but they are always the Customer. Sell them what they want, they'll be back to buy what they need. Be Polite even when they are wrong, it saves you a lot of headaches.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I delivered a fridge to an er doctor and his wife. They said they had purchased a fridge (side be side) at Best Buy and the doors won't shut so it is broke.
    I looked at the fridge and told them I could save them some money because their fridge was not broke and did not need a new one. -All that had to be done was swap the bottom door hinges (pins). They put the left one on the right and right on left.

When I told the guy this, he got upset with me and said it's broke, I can fix it, and he doesn't want it.

I've had the fridge for 7 years now.

Some people have more money than brains. I hate retail. I've done it in a few different types of businesses and it is not for me. My hat is off to anyone who can deal with people on a daily basis. It has made me a much more understanding and respectful customer though.

dbrier

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Indianapolis IN
    I've always thought that every person should have a low level service job at one point in their life. I don't care if it's a cashier at Wal-Mart or server at a restaurant. It makes you appreciate those people that do it.

BJoe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2013
    Indy
    Well actually it is WalMart that started this whole " THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS...ALWAYS...ALWAYS RIGHT." That, sadly, has carried over into the attitude that a lot of Americans now have. Gee. Thanks Sam!

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I delivered a fridge to an er doctor and his wife. They said they had purchased a fridge (side be side) at Best Buy and the doors won't shut so it is broke.
    I looked at the fridge and told them I could save them some money because their fridge was not broke and did not need a new one. -All that had to be done was swap the bottom door hinges (pins). They put the left one on the right and right on left.

When I told the guy this, he got upset with me and said it's broke, I can fix it, and he doesn't want it.

I've had the fridge for 7 years now.

Was his wife a dentist?

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I've always thought that every person should have a low level service job at one point in their life. I don't care if it's a cashier at Wal-Mart or server at a restaurant. It makes you appreciate those people that do it.

I agree with this - to an extent.

"my list" of jobs kids need to have at least once: Detassling corn, fast food, or being a server. General retail is also a good one. I've done all but be a server.

-J-

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    Customers can be a pain in the arse. I go into people's homes every day as a gas man for the utility company. Damn near every one of them does not know squat about the National Fuel Gas Code and gets pissed off when you have to shut their gas off because they called in a leak that can not be isolated with shut off valves. Either that or their venting is screwed up to the point CO will kill them. I hear it all the time, "it's been like that for years".

Who give a Sh(! if it's been like that for years. You called in a problem and I'm going to do what I have to do to make it safe. Just yesterday I told one "would you rather have your tootsies a little cold or blow up"? I'm not going to sit in a room full of lawyers for 2 hours being questioned because something happened to an idiot and I am the person of record as last being there.

I worked customer service for a gas company for years and all I can say is I jumped for joy like a giddy school girl when I switched departments and never looked back. I will say that I learned a lot about dealing with people and now have a ton of respect who do it for a living day in day out. The problem is all someone has to do these days to get what they want is throw a fit like a four year old and someone gives them what they want. Well not this guy. Appeasement of an immature adult is a bad policy and has got us where we are today.

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    Some people have a hard time saying they're wrong, don't take it personal. Same with the I'm sorry deal also. After so long I've made "I'm sorry" and "I'm wrong" a art form. But you can't argue with a guy who never thinks he's wrong. Bless you people who work in dealing with the public. You tried, can't do more then that!

newdumdum9825

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Seymour, IN
    You sound like a worker that more walmart stores need in their sporting goods dept.Most I have been to are very lacking and dont care.
    Ha I've used tht argument to try to transfer over there several times. But yet I'm still freezing my but off in the dairy/frozen dpt. I'm always over there and I'm usually the go to guy with questions when it comes to guns and ammo, I've sold a mossberg 500, ruger 10/22, and several ARs on lunch and break quicker than some of these guys can on the clock

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I worked at walmart in the sporting goods section... Never really saw it much.. spent most of my time stocking stationary and pets
    I worked at wal-mart for a couple of years as a trailer unloader... I did more stocking and cashiering than I'd have liked during that timeframe.

Worked at a Taco Bell and managed a KFC for a few years too. Then at KYB in Franklin and NicePak in Plainfield [warehouse shipping+receiving not the factory].

Now I work for myself from home :). Still deal with customers daily though.

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    Well actually it is WalMart that started this whole " THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS...ALWAYS...ALWAYS RIGHT." That, sadly, has carried over into the attitude that a lot of Americans now have. Gee. Thanks Sam!

Funny, I learned that at my first job way back in 1959 working retail at our local hardware.

Wal-Mart was founded in 1962!

Top Bottom