The Czickness LII….it is the grey time of year. Tungsten Grey that is…

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    I was in a mood to trade when I stumbled across this 455. CZ 455 Varmint Evolution with 3 barrels; .22 LR, .22 WMR, and .17 HMR. Fortunately, my trade goods covered this rifle and a Henry H001M.

I plan to top the 455 with a Vortex Viper PST-II (3-15x44 FFP) and start shooting teeny tiny groups.

Now, rather than make me go back through all the old CZ threads, would those of you who are into this sort of shooting, please repost your current bench rest rig? Maybe even your less expensive rigs that would be a solid starting point?

View attachment 340499
    I started out with a wooden 1 piece rest my dad made, then to a cheap two piece poly rest set, then to a Rock BR front rest and Protektor rear rest, then to a aluminum Protekor model front rest a Protektor rear rest, then thanks to a awesome CZicko brother I was fortunate enough to move to a Hybrid X front and a Protektor rear rest. They all get used with the Hybrid X as my favorite.
    If you want to stay budget oriented, the 2 piece poly set works great, my gkids do very well with the setup. I'll get you better info and a better pic later today but here it is.

Screenshot_20230505_081813_Photos.jpg

Last edited:

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Curious, what are you guys using (if anything) for boresighting (primarily 9mm)? I've seen this one

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CN17HHF...nr6fabFEsRYy-caTp28amvton-lHZChSxfuYfkKk&th=1

but curious what folks are using. I've never used one before, but then I am also notoriously bad at sighting in optics.

I assume you just line up the dot to the point that the boresighter projects?

Ignorant questions, I know.
    If you want my honest opinion, for pistol caliber stuff, you don't need a bore sighting tool. Start off shooting the gun at close range like 7 yards, adjust. Go back to desired distance and do final sight in.

Rifles might be a different story, depending on caliber and range rules. If I can pull the bolt and look down the barrel, I will go old school and mount the barreled receiver on a rest, align the barrel bore and scope reticle to same point of aim. I have gotten multiple rifles to first shot bullseye using this method at 50 yards.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    Curious, what are you guys using (if anything) for boresighting (primarily 9mm)? I've seen this one

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CN17HHF...nr6fabFEsRYy-caTp28amvton-lHZChSxfuYfkKk&th=1

but curious what folks are using. I've never used one before, but then I am also notoriously bad at sighting in optics.

I assume you just line up the dot to the point that the boresighter projects?

Ignorant questions, I know.
    I have something like this:

and this:

The SiteLite is very visible even in most daylight conditions and very well made BUT the end result is about the same with either laser - gets you on paper.

With an open breech gun - I can get the same results by eyeballing (and I can't see well).

How you use it comes with a little trial and error. Simply aligning the dot and the sight doesn't account for height over bore and can sometime leads to pretty low initial POI. The SiteLite comes with a 25' target that is pretty darn spot - except when it is not.

1710777684385.png

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    If you want my honest opinion, for pistol caliber stuff, you don't need a bore sighting tool. Start off shooting the gun at close range like 7 yards, adjust. Go back to desired distance and do final sight in.

Rifles might be a different story, depending on caliber and range rules. If I can pull the bolt and look down the barrel, I will go old school and mount the barreled receiver on a rest, align the barrel bore and scope reticle to same point of aim. I have gotten multiple rifles to first shot bullseye using this method at 50 yards.
    +1

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana

Plus '2' !

ChrisK

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Starke County
    I don't trust that website. ;) I had it open yesterday and just sitting there. All of sudden, my wife got a credit card notification for a charge.

I told her it must be a mistake because but I would would be sure to "take care of it".

Unrelated question: How long do spouses remember what we tell them?
    If it’s firearms related….FOREVER!!

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Been having fun with the Colt Dragoon conversion. It needs better sights for sure, but it's a hoot for plinking. Getting a Walker out and looking at it I thought why doesn't somebody do a conversion cylinder on this and bore it for 460 S&W, plenty of length in the cylinder to fill that case with 3F and get up to the Walker's power.

Checking out the internet I find people are already working on getting something like this for the old horse killer, the 45-55 cartridge.;)

wkdrg.jpg 45_BPM.jpg

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom