The Czickness LII….it is the grey time of year. Tungsten Grey that is…

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Ok...you know me not to be a professional and its been years, uh decades, since I painted cars but....

I remember working out ratios for products. Like 1.5 turns on paint knob for 1 turn on air knob. That, of course, isn't the correct ratio - just an example. Would also work out the correct spray on a white board before hitting the car. Different paints would spray differently.

We worked in an old wood barn with crappy ventilation and inconsistent air QC...but we got it done. On a breezy day, we would have to wet the floor to keep dust out.

Maybe @Bennettjh can chime in if the pros actually do something like this?
    We have 24psi from the regulator in the booth after the water trap. We also use a Hi-Flow hose to the gun. I keep the fluid needle fully open to allow as much product as possible. For fan control, usually have full fan. For base and clear we use a 1.4 tip. High-build primer and epoxy is 1.8.

All that said, you'll know when it feels right. Definitely go by what the TDS says as well.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I don't know how to measure thickness. Gravity feed gun.

I've never worked with Cerakote, but have made two part systems for everything under the sun. All finishes and spray equipment have an optimum viscosity at which they produce the best and easiest results. Does Cerakote list some solvents for their product? Rough application out of a gravity fed gun usually means the material is too thick.

Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    I've been catching up on everything I missed last week.

T-Dogg, I think the 1911 you cerekoted looked good. Also congrats on the Stribog and MP5. The MP5 is on my someday list.

Congrats to everyone else on the new guns as well.

That Canik TTI looks cool.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Range report from today. Started off running 20rds through my carry gun (P365XL), something I always forget to do.

Remington 1911 with a correct height Dawson front sight. Need to make a slight windage adjustment, otherwise good to go.

1000006437.jpg

Stribog fired 105 rounds of various ammo, including 25 rounds with my Sig 45 can and 150 Fed Syntech ammo. Zero failures, great accuracy, very mild recoil and stupid quiet suppressed. Bushnell TRS-25 red dot for testing purposes.

1000006438.jpg

AP5 fired 146 rounds of various ammo including 25 rounds of 150 Fed Syntech with my Sig 45 can. Had 1 failure around the 95 round mark with some bulk Fed FMJ ammo. The bolt locked open and I had to smack the upper receiver to correct it. Wife does the same thing to correct me on occasion. Anyways, stupid soft recoil (like damn near .22 soft) and super fun to shoot, very accurate, super quiet with the can on. It's a softer shooter than the Stribog, but the Stribog is not unpleasant by any means.

As evidenced by my paper target, my eyes struggled getting the front sight post in focus, even tried changing rear diopter size.

1000006439.jpg

Here is 5 rounds from each gun on a 10" plate from 15 yards using 150 Fed Syntech and suppressed. I was trying to determine which gun was quieter, which I was not able to determine.

1000006440.jpg

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Range report from today. Started off running 20rds through my carry gun (P365XL), something I always forget to do.

Remington 1911 with a correct height Dawson front sight. Need to make a slight windage adjustment, otherwise good to go.

View attachment 351178

Stribog fired 105 rounds of various ammo, including 25 rounds with my Sig 45 can and 150 Fed Syntech ammo. Zero failures, great accuracy, very mild recoil and stupid quiet suppressed. Bushnell TRS-25 red dot for testing purposes.

View attachment 351180

AP5 fired 146 rounds of various ammo including 25 rounds of 150 Fed Syntech with my Sig 45 can. Had 1 failure around the 95 round mark with some bulk Fed FMJ ammo. The bolt locked open and I had to smack the upper receiver to correct it. Wife does the same thing to correct me on occasion. Anyways, stupid soft recoil (like damn near .22 soft) and super fun to shoot, very accurate, super quiet with the can on. It's a softer shooter than the Stribog, but the Stribog is not unpleasant by any means.

As evidenced by my paper target, my eyes struggled getting the front sight post in focus, even tried changing rear diopter size.

View attachment 351181

Here is 5 rounds from each gun on a 10" plate from 15 yards using 150 Fed Syntech and suppressed. I was trying to determine which gun was quieter, which I was not able to determine.

View attachment 351183
    Just curious as I'm waiting for my first suppressor which is on backorder, what type of mount are you using, since you mention moving the can between the guns at the range? Direct mount, tri-lug,?

Last edited:

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I've never worked with Cerakote, but have made two part systems for everything under the sun. All finishes and spray equipment have an optimum viscosity at which they produce the best and easiest results. Does Cerakote list some solvents for their product? Rough application out of a gravity fed gun usually means the material is too thick.
    This is the info sheet on H-series Cerakote.

https://images.nicindustries.com/ce...TX*MTcxNTA0MDU2Ni45LjEuMTcxNTA0MDk1OS43LjAuMA..

Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    Just curious as I'm waiting for my first suppressor which is on backorder, what type of mount are you using, since you mention moving the. An between the guns at the range? Direct mount, tri-lug,?
    Great question, I was going to ask the same thing. As I keep thinking about getting a can for my Scorpion.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Just curious as I'm waiting for my first suppressor which is on backorder, what type of mount are you using, since you mention moving the. An between the guns at the range? Direct mount, tri-lug,?
    Direct mount, however, I should mention that the 1/2-28 piston in my SRD45 is modified for use on guns with a "rifle length" threaded muzzle. Unlike most handgun barrels, I have found the threaded section of several PCC type guns to have a "rifle" length threaded section (Palmetto AK-V, Stribog and AP5). This will cause the suppressor piston to index off the end of the muzzle versus indexing off the shoulder. It's possible for a suppressor index off the muzzle end and have good alignment, but I personally like indexing off the shoulder of the barrel. The Sig SRD45 piston is quite robust and I reamed out the center to allow it to fully thread onto the longer rifle length threads and seat against the shoulder instead. I first did this for the AK-V that I had years ago.

For my AAC Ti-Rant9M suppressor, because it has a less robust piston design (less meat in the middle) I'm going to use a thread spacer from SilencerCo.

https://www.silencershop.com/rifle-thread-spacer-1-2x28-silencerco.html

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    We have 24psi from the regulator in the booth after the water trap. We also use a Hi-Flow hose to the gun. I keep the fluid needle fully open to allow as much product as possible. For fan control, usually have full fan. For base and clear we use a 1.4 tip. High-build primer and epoxy is 1.8.

All that said, you'll know when it feels right. Definitely go by what the TDS says as well.
    Full Paint - Full Fan.

The painter of equivalent of "Hell, yeah, send it!".

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    They don't have a suggested reduction solvent on the TDS? Usually a manufacturer will have one that they sell along with the product. When you mix it and put it in the cup it should be pretty thin.
    Oh yeah, the catalyst! Sorry, I wasn't following. It comes with H-series when you order it. They recommend an 18:1 mix ratio, but can also use 12:1 or 24:1 for a different gloss level. I've been using 18:1.

https://www.cerakote.com/shop/cerakote-coating/H-100/part-b-catalyst

https://images.nicindustries.com/ce...X*MTcxNTA0MDU2Ni45LjEuMTcxNTA0MjIzNS4zMy4wLjA.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Oh yeah, the catalyst! Sorry, I wasn't following. It comes with H-series when you order it. They recommend an 18:1 mix ratio, but can also use 12:1 or 24:1 for a different gloss level. I've been using 18:1.

https://www.cerakote.com/shop/cerakote-coating/H-100/part-b-catalyst

https://images.nicindustries.com/ce...X*MTcxNTA0MDU2Ni45LjEuMTcxNTA0MjIzNS4zMy4wLjA.

That's the catalyst that makes it set up. A reduction solvent leaves when you spray, it's only job is to reduce the viscosity to improve atomization and flow out on the part. They are almost always clear, or if the material is water based, that's what is used.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    That's the catalyst that makes it set up. A reduction solvent leaves when you spray, it's only job is to reduce the viscosity to improve atomization and flow out on the part. They are almost always clear, or if the material is water based, that's what is used.
    About 15 years ago, when I was more involved in automotive paint, I would have picked up what you said, sorry about that. I don't know of a reducer for H-series cerakote and have not seen one mentioned before.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Great question, I was going to ask the same thing. As I keep thinking about getting a can for my Scorpion.
    I've got a Rugged Obsidian 9 on order with Asz. I'm thinking tri-lug to be able to swap it (eventually) to the FX-9 from the Scorpion, and just for general ease of removal.

Tri-lug mount and adapter not cheap though.

Not knowing much about suppressors, figured I'd ask.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom