The CZickness XIII: Lucky 13, we could all use some.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    And this.....I hope to have it done/tuned/shot in by the Gala spring event.

SCk5lvu.jpg

I love those classy cuts on the top of the slide !

JonProphet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Everyone must be out on the town tonight.

I put in my first order with CGW. New springs for the 75. I'm thinking about new springs for the mags as well. I don't want to pay shipping on $10 worth of springs and pay $8 shipping. =(

-JD-

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Everyone must be out on the town tonight.

I put in my first order with CGW. New springs for the 75. I'm thinking about new springs for the mags as well. I don't want to pay shipping on $10 worth of springs and pay $8 shipping. =(

-JD-
    Been lost in AR land lately. CGW ships fast. New mag springs is never a bad idea.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    I picked up my new CZ Shadow 2 Friday and put 100 rounds through it before leaving the store. When I field stripped it tonight my impression was that if was considerably cleaner inside the slide and frame than a Glock or 1911 typically would be.

Has anyone else noticed this or was it just my imagination?

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I picked up my new CZ Shadow 2 Friday and put 100 rounds through it before leaving the store. When I field stripped it tonight my impression was that if was considerably cleaner inside the slide and frame than a Glock or 1911 typically would be.

Has anyone else noticed this or was it just my imagination?

I've never noticed a difference like that between different guns, but I have with different ammo brands. You weren't shooting different ammo than normal were you? Tula, Aguila, WWB and Magtech all shoot really dirty, at least it seems that way to me. Dirtier than my normal Blazer Brass, Federal Champion, Federal American Eagle or Geco anyway.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    308 AR land?

Ban the fools, not the tools I say. wtburnette
    Of course. Ran the new rifle yesterday. Exceeded expectations. Shot 9 different brands, mostly mil-surp and Wolf steel case, 3 of those brands shot between 1.15" - 1.839" groups, the rest were 2 - 4" at 100yds with a 3.5x Acog using a moderate rate of fire. Ironically, the 2 brands that were over $0.50 per round (Fiocchi & PRVI) grouped the worst. I've got some Federal XM80C arriving tomorrow, so I will need to see how that does. My plan with this rifle is to mirror my 16" 5.56 AR, but in a bigger caliber and have combat accuracy while keeping ammo cost down. That's why I bought a selection of ammo with the lower cost (Wolf can be had for $0.34 per round).

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Of course. Ran the new rifle yesterday. Exceeded expectations. Shot 9 different brands, mostly mil-surp and Wolf steel case, 3 of those brands shot between 1.15" - 1.839" groups, the rest were 2 - 4" at 100yds with a 3.5x Acog using a moderate rate of fire. Ironically, the 2 brands that were over $0.50 per round (Fiocchi & PRVI) grouped the worst. I've got some Federal XM80C arriving tomorrow, so I will need to see how that does. My plan with this rifle is to mirror my 16" 5.56 AR, but in a bigger caliber and have combat accuracy while keeping ammo cost down. That's why I bought a selection of ammo with the lower cost (Wolf can be had for $0.34 per round).

I never run steel case in anything I own. Just me.
    I do zero with the lesser cost ammo and then find what the rifle really likes.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I never run steel case in anything I own. Just me.
    I do zero with the lesser cost ammo and then find what the rifle really likes.
    I completely understand that. I know it's drawbacks/shortcomings. I don't run it exclusively in my rifles, but I do use it frequently. I've had nothing but great results with Wolf rifle ammo over the years, zero malfunctions, good accuracy and greatly reduces costs for training. I would not use it for defense ammo though. I stay away from Tula steel case anything, had numerous problems with those including blown out primers and stuck cases that needed the hammer of Thor to remove. I also don't use Wolf pistol ammo, I had issues with and won't use that again either, but rifles yes.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I completely understand that. I know it's drawbacks/shortcomings. I don't run it exclusively in my rifles, but I do use it frequently. I've had nothing but great results with Wolf rifle ammo over the years, zero malfunctions, good accuracy and greatly reduces costs for training. I would not use it for defense ammo though. I stay away from Tula steel case anything, had numerous problems with those including blown out primers and stuck cases that needed the hammer of Thor to remove. I also don't use Wolf pistol ammo, I had issues with and won't use that again either, but rifles yes.

Makes perfect sense. I know way to many who will use steel case as you do and some exclusively due to costs. I get it.
    I have a box of steel case ammo (brand name eludes me this early/pre :coffee:) that a buddy uses on Varmints/Yotes and swears by it. He gave me a box to try. Not gotten there yet.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Makes perfect sense. I know way to many who will use steel case as you do and some exclusively due to costs. I get it.
    I have a box of steel case ammo (brand name eludes me this early/pre :coffee:) that a buddy uses on Varmints/Yotes and swears by it. He gave me a box to try. Not gotten there yet.
    I know Hornady makes some Match ammo that is steel cased, but I've never used it. The 3 main issues with steel case ammo in general, for those that don't know: 1) the steel casing does not expand as much as brass does, which eventually leads to build up in the chamber walls. 2) Most steel case ammo has a bi-metal jacket that is magnetic, this leads to increased barrel wear. Windham Weaponry (the brand 308 I bought) says it can reduce barrel life by 4k rounds if used exclusively in their rifles. That being said, I bought a box of Wolf .308 that is copper jacketed and not bi-metal that performed well, so I could run that and have better barrel life. That is the first Wolf steel case I've seen offered that way. 3) Generally the rounds are underpowered and can cause cycling issues in some guns. Windham says to run at least 100 rounds of brass case ammo through one of their new rifles before running steel case. They say until the gun is broke in, the rings in the bolt are seated, that cycling issues can occur. I can personally attest to that in a Ruger AR-556 that I previously had. That gun would not cycle steel cased ammo until I got a few hundred rounds through it. Also, I can easily hear and feel the difference when I'm running steel case in my AR's, it's quieter and softer recoiling.

Like I said, I am fully aware of what running steel case ammo brings to the table with it. I don't advocate for it and I don't blame others for not wanting to run it. I'm a cheap arse and I have great success with Wolf ammo so it works for me. YMMV.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Morning. Gave up on the tea experiment...back to coffee.

That el cheap Guardian ammo that I got off you actually groups pretty well. Still have a little if you want to try a box...my best factory ammo is Hornady Match BTHP 168 gr. Haven't tried any reloads.

Used to actually run 5/7 miles every morning before work.
    Not sure I miss those days.....:):

Oh, I sure miss running....missed the Winter Night Trail Marathon at Eagle Creek for the first in time since the started it. :-( Apparently, they have a weight limit I exceeded.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom