Not open for further replies.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Of course the premise of the test was to see what effect barrel length had on 22lr performance. It was not set up as an ammo test per se. I thought that as the testing was done over a week results may not be repeatable (one of the tenets of scientific method) and should have ideally been done in a controlled environment (indoor range). This authors testing suggests the 20.5” barrel may be the ideal but not for every ammo.

I just thought it interesting that during his testing the Blazer significantly outperformed everything else he used.

I was looking for objective data to decide between 16”, 20.5” or 24” barrels which I don’t think he definitively answered but I an leaning towards 20.5” for my 22lr (as long as Mrs B2V doesn't find out).
    My At-one is a 24". For two reasons (1) it was available and (2) its easy to cut it shorter than stretch it longer.

When I order a Kidd barrel for a tac-sol, I went with a 16.5" to keep it a little more mobile. It is now a part of Kidd build.

While a 22lr seems to have pretty much burned out its powder and pressure around 16", the stupid err insanely err very expensive bench guns seem to be 20-26".

Like everything 22, the conclusion is Yes, No and/or Maybe....

Last edited:

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    Of course the premise of the test was to see what effect barrel length had on 22lr performance. It was not set up as an ammo test per se. I thought that as the testing was done over a week results may not be repeatable (one of the tenets of scientific method) and should have ideally been done in a controlled environment (indoor range). This authors testing suggests the 20.5” barrel may be the ideal but not for every ammo.

I just thought it interesting that during his testing the Blazer significantly outperformed everything else he used.

I was looking for objective data to decide between 16”, 20.5” or 24” barrels which I don’t think he definitively answered but I an leaning towards 20.5” for my 22lr (as long as Mrs B2V doesn't find out).
    Google 2021 22lr brenchrest champions barrel length. Not to say 20.5 would be bad just that you might lean a little further in your barrel length decision.

I found the article you posted interesting too btw.

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    Barrel length seems like an intensely personal decision to some, LOL.

For a .22, they say that the powder’s burnt by about 16”, so that’s all you should need. But I think most 16” barrels look goofy in traditional stocks/chassis unless they also sport a suppressor. So I tend to lean towards 20” or so on my scoped .22s purely for aesthetics.

The other idea is that a shorter barrel leaves less time for the shooter to influence the shot. A shorter barrel means less time for the bullet to be in the bore, whereas longer means any movement you make after the primer’s ignited will have a greater impact on things.

The main area this seems to see an upset is when using irons. In that case, a longer sight radius is obviously a huge help, and one could argue the added weight of a longer barrel can help dampen movement.

None of this takes things like barrel whip, harmonics, and several other factors into account. There’s a lot of science to it, but for me, I don’t pay as much attention to it, LOL. All my .22s seem to shoot very well regardless of barrel length, so I say choose what works for you and the intended use of the rifle and go shoot!

Last edited:

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Schitt’s Creek starts off a tad rough. I struggled with how much Moira screamed at first, but the show quickly grew on me. It’s a top favorite in our house now, right up there with The Office, Parks&Rec, etc. Well worth watching, social and political undertones not withstanding, IMO.
    I'm re-watching it right now, great show.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I attended our graduation ceremony yesterday as a faculty member and we didn't have someone sing the national anthem but they played the music, it was nice to look around and see people singing it to themselves. I know a few colleges have stopped playing the anthem, i'm surprised more haven't done so.

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    Got the lawn mowed, visited my Dad and stepmother, then came home and made some Mexican sloppy joes washed down with a ice cold beer. Not the best day ever, but I'll take it... ;)
    So what is the difference between regular sloppy joes and the Mexican ones?

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    So what is the difference between regular sloppy joes and the Mexican ones?
    Chili powder?

I have no idea….

Chili powder, chipotle chili powder, some cayenne pepper and a couple dashes of tabasco sauce. I make an open face sandwich out of it and cover it with a shredded mexican cheese blend. Yummy with a cold beer... ;)

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    "East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg"...stuck in the middle again.

FWIW, google says you are at "F45 Training West Carmel".

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This thread is getting close to its end. It will be approx. 225,000 posts.
    Must think of a spiffy name for the next edition.

CKW and I did not do much for mother's day as the daughter and SIL put on a smoked turkey and all the trimmings. DIL brought desert. It was a good gathering.

I finished up installing the weather tight plug in receptacle on the front of the house for CKW's Christmas lights etc.
    We laid dawn most of the ground cover on the garden. Put together 4 tomater cages and got 4 tomater plants in the ground. Man that's work....:):

A good weekend over all.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom