• ...and so much more!
  • s-works

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I found this interesting. This was back in 2001

“If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”

Dalai Lama XIV

Now he does go on to say that one should aim for the leg or arm and not at the head or at other fatal areas. Kind of like being half pregnant.....

Full quote
    "Acts of violence should be remembered, and then forgiveness should be extended to the perpetrators.
    But if someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. Not at the head, where a fatal wound might result. But at some other body part, such as a leg."

I tired to find a Buddhist shooting target where ten points was allocated to the arm or leg and 0 for the head or chest but could not find any.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Text of the actual interview here:
    The Buddhist Blog: Buddhism and Violence

Dalai Lama: Individual case? For example, if mad dog coming, almost certain now bite you. Then if you say, non-violence, non-violence and compassion…

Hana Gartner: You get bitten!

Dalai Lama: That's kind of foolish! You have to take use of self-defence. But without harming, without serious harming another, I think that's the way I feel. If someone try to shoot on you, then there is no possibility to run away, then you have to hit back. Then possibly not on head, but leg or something like that. So that's not serious hit back, but more lenient way, more gentle way.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Thanks for posting this. I saw this a few years back and brought it up recently in a debate with a gun grabber. She was arguing that the mom beaten on nanny cam should not have used a gun to shoot the thug that was beating her (if she had had one).

Her argument was that guns are bad, killing is bad in all cases. I mentioned that even the Dahli Lama would have recommended fighting back but I didn't have the link to back me up.

Top Bottom