• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Members here often talk about "What would you do?" scenarios. I have learned a great deal from such threads. In the interest of sharing information and enabling folks to think wisely about intervening in a situation, I am posting a piece written by the friend of a friend. I do not know the original source. If that is a problem, the mods can remove this.

Stay safe, folks. Stay safe and make it home tonight.

[h=2]The dangers of intervention[/h]
    The following is a commentary carrying the same title as this thread. It was written by my good friend Evan Marshall. Evan was my mentor when I got into gun writing back in the late '70's. He spent years on the Detroit PD both on patrol and in the Homicide Division. He's been there and done that. I pulled this from his website and he graciously allowed me to reproduce it here.

"There has been a lot of space devoted in the Stopping Power Message Board and other message boards to the presentation of hypothetical situations and a request for solutions. The problem with such imaginary situations is that there is none of the untidiness and ambiguity that exists in the real world.

Please understand that I’m not ridiculing those who present such situations or those who attempt to solve them. I consider those who post on this board as friends I haven’t met yet. As your friend I feel a moral responsibility to share my observations based on my actual experiences in real incidents. I don’t want to see good guys and gals get their selves in a jam by jumping into situations that are unclear and fraught with danger.
    Let me be perfectly frank. Those who think that intervention will bring fame, honors, glory, etc., are delusional. I once prevented the rape of a woman by butt stroking her attacker with a shotgun while he was in the act of penetrating her. Weeks later she made an excessive force complaint against me. She thought I should have been more restrained in my behavior! On another occasion, my partner and I chased a holdup man into a store where he took a woman hostage. He then threatened to kill her (he had just shot two people in a bank and we believed him!). My partner shot the bad guys three times. One of those bullets slightly grazed the woman’s finger and she sued us for endangering her!

If the rescued individual doesn’t make life miserable for you in the courts, they just might kill you. I’m aware of four instances where officers responded to a domestic violence situation and when the wife realized the breadwinner was going to jail she assaulted and killed her would-be rescuers.

My Tac Unit partner and I backed up a precinct unit on a domestic assault arrest. As the husband was being handcuffed the wife disappeared down the hallway. I motioned to my partner and we followed her down the hall with guns drawn. We found her in the bedroom loading a Winchester .30-.30 lever action rifle. We quickly disarmed and cuffed her. As we brought her into the living room a precinct sergeant ordered us to let her go. When we refused to do so, he attempted to remove her from our custody. When told him that if he didn’t back off we would arrest him, he left to complain to our supervisors.

If ingratitude isn’t enough we need to understand that things are almost never what they seem. What appears to be a car jacking may be the attempt by a father to recover a child from a noncustodial mother. Our intervention may not only be ill advised but we may be acting in violation of a court order. The fact that we are unaware of a court order will not save the day.

Even if the situation is exactly as it appears and you’re even in accordance with the law, you need to understand one simple fact-the law is what the local prosecutor says it is. Do you really want to spend 7 years in jail waiting for an appeal to be heard and your conviction overturned?
    I once got sued for in excess of $100,000 for handcuffing a suspect. The city settled out of court even though my actions were totally legal. Anybody who read about this settlement in the paper would assume I was guilty of inappropriate behavior or some illegality. The city paid the settlement and provided legal counsel. Had I been acting as a private citizen I would have subjected my family to decades of poverty in order to pay the judgment and attorney fees.

Situations that involve significant injury or death are frightenly expensive. My partners and I were sued for $17.5 million dollars in the fatal shooting of a holdup man. The legal fees alone would have run into seven figures. We were accused of being blood thirsty, trigger-happy racist cops. The media conveniently forgot we had intervened in the severe beating and robbery of an elderly woman.

All that being said and experienced, I continued to intervene. However, people should be reminded I was a cop-it was my job. I spent 20 years going in harms way for total strangers. Would I do that today? Probably not. I no longer have the deep pockets of the City of Detroit behind me. Sound callous? Well, would you be willing to jeopardize everything you own and your family’s security for a total stranger? Would you be willing to lose your home, your cars, and your retirement to play Knight of the Round Table?

Apparently some people are certainly willing to fantasize about intervening in a hypothetical situation. Some may consider this harmless musing, but I find it troubling. Tactical planning involves assessing all the potential problems carefully and realistically looking at the cost of such intervention. Role-playing or gaming looks at it through rose colored glasses and ignores the cold hard reality of a person’s involvement in a deadly force event.
    I carry a gun to protect myself and the people I love from the Monsters that roam the earth. When I’m away from those that mean everything to me, I carry so I can return to them. Are there circumstances where I would intervene to help a stranger? Yes, but such intervention would be on my terms at my pace. I am not going to jump into a situation with gun drawn.
    Rather I would seek cover and carefully evaluate the totality of the circumstance. When I was convinced I knew what is really going on I would respond with the minimum amount of force necessary whether that required drawing my cell phone or my pistol. If all we have is a pistol we have severely limited options. I carry three pistols, oc, cell phone, and a flashlight, and I am a PPCT Defensive Tactics Instructor. I am willing and trained to respond with the appropriate level of force even if that is “only” a command voice. I understand the force continuum and know what the appropriate level force is in a given situation. Ignorance of such critical parameters can have horrific consequences.

Those who think the mere display of a weapon will stop hostilities are naïve in the extreme. The same people we will be confronting know what an appropriate level of force is and when we make outlandish or unjustified threats we’ll show our true colors. These people can tell when we’re serious and we will quickly find ourselves disarmed and in real trouble.

Again, we need to avoid rushing in where Angels fear to tread. Remember the most endangered species is good guys and gals. Go with God."​

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    See! That's why you jump in both feet, guns blazing!!!!:ar15: Kill anything that moves then curb stomp them just for safety's sake! Zombies come in all shapes and sizes so make sure they don't come back to get you!!:bash:

Purple off.

Good read with many valid points that are rarely considered from the safety of mommy's basement!

dirtybird

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2015
    Morgan Co.
    Did he say the deep pockets of the city of Detroit behind him? :dunno:

Seriously tho, great post. Makes you appreciate everything our LEO's face every time they put on the uniform. Thank you to all our current and former LEO on here, nobody should have to face the dangers within our society to keep us safe, then face possible suits and convictions for doing so.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    It's often easy to be a keyboard commando in the safety of a hypothetical message board scenario. This was a fantastic read, with some unsettling real-world examples. I think the post from singlesix about "every bullet has a lawyer attached to it" is a good line. And, as my father was known to say, not everything is always as it appears to be, all the time.

Excellent post.

sidewinder27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Plainfield
    My old room mate and I learned the hard way about not always coming to the rescue. We came home one night after repo'ing cars for the evening. We got out of the truck and hear a woman arguing with a man, we didn't really pay attention until he got louder and more aggressive and then started saying he was going to kill her. By the time we got over there just to try and separate them to get them to walk away he had hit her a few times. He sees us coming and takes off running. We get the lady and start checking on her and she was thankful as can be. Then the Marion County Sheriffs shows up and we start talking to him. She talked to him and he goes to look for the guy. He wasn't able to find him and said "well if he comes back give us a call" and went about taking the report and left. The next day we get a knock on our door, my roommate opens it and sees a different Deputy saying that we need to come with him. We actually were handcuffed and placed in cars. Come to find out the husband came home shortly after everyone left and they made up and then worked to make up the story they were going to tell the Deputies. The first story was that he came home to catch my roommate and I in bed with his wife and that we chased after him to beat the crap out of him. She even backed up his story. My roommate and I are both dumbfounded, as we have never met or probably seen this women in our life and she's easily six months pregnant. So they start all the test on us and doing a rape kit on the woman. Then he claimed that we were the father of the older son from when one us raped her 3 years prior to that. Thankfully the stories fell apart within the first two days and we were cleared of any wrongdoing. Then our trucks started getting keyed, sugar in the gas. After I got mine fixed Someone loosened the oil plug and then filled my tank with water. The apartments maintaince room was broken into and some acid was stolen and we found it a day later in my roommates truck engine and cab. The cops went to look for the guy and lady and they moved out over night. The only positive thing is be we both got brand new pickups. Now days I take care to get my family to safety and let happen happen.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    My old room mate and I learned the hard way about not always coming to the rescue. We came home one night after repo'ing cars for the evening. We got out of the truck and hear a woman arguing with a man, we didn't really pay attention until he got louder and more aggressive and then started saying he was going to kill her. By the time we got over there just to try and separate them to get them to walk away he had hit her a few times. He sees us coming and takes off running. We get the lady and start checking on her and she was thankful as can be. Then the Marion County Sheriffs shows up and we start talking to him. She talked to him and he goes to look for the guy. He wasn't able to find him and said "well if he comes back give us a call" and went about taking the report and left. The next day we get a knock on our door, my roommate opens it and sees a different Deputy saying that we need to come with him. We actually were handcuffed and placed in cars. Come to find out the husband came home shortly after everyone left and they made up and then worked to make up the story they were going to tell the Deputies. The first story was that he came home to catch my roommate and I in bed with his wife and that we chased after him to beat the crap out of him. She even backed up his story. My roommate and I are both dumbfounded, as we have never met or probably seen this women in our life and she's easily six months pregnant. So they start all the test on us and doing a rape kit on the woman. Then he claimed that we were the father of the older son from when one us raped her 3 years prior to that. Thankfully the stories fell apart within the first two days and we were cleared of any wrongdoing. Then our trucks started getting keyed, sugar in the gas. After I got mine fixed Someone loosened the oil plug and then filled my tank with water. The apartments maintaince room was broken into and some acid was stolen and we found it a day later in my roommates truck engine and cab. The cops went to look for the guy and lady and they moved out over night. The only positive thing is be we both got brand new pickups. Now days I take care to get my family to safety and let happen happen.

Sounds like someone(s) needs to accidentally step into traffic and not look both ways.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    That is a dang fine read. I have a LEO friend who was recently involved in a shooting and things are starting to get stupid.

Lil Bob

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    Crown Point, Indiian
    One heck of a read. I have not fully considered the possibility of helping someone out and have them turn it against you, but I have heard all of the stories about domestic cases and the battered party getting involved after the batterer has been arrested. This posting reinforces the need to fully evaluate the situation before you get involved. It may ultimately not end well for those of us that chooses to get involved.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I don't mean to be rude but I would like the input from some of our local and reasonable LEO's to comment on the authors stories. How many of our LEOs know people that have been sued this many times? Had this many complaints filed against them.

There is an olde saying, "Where there is smoke there is fire." Maybe the author of this article WAS overly excessive in a JBT way of big city Detroit...? Perhaps he earned those suits against him? Perhaps they were not unreasonable complaints?

I don't mean to diminish the intent of the story, but a large part of the story includes anecdotal tales of woe along the lines of, "Poor me. I was just trying to help and I really, really didn't overreact, but I got sued SO much that I want to share the evils of helping."

Maybe I am wrong. I hope I am wrong. But consider reading it as though a jack booted thug who was in the habit of crackin' skulls when he wanted to wrote the article trying to justify his perception. As for me, I will await the input from the good LEO's who post here to let us know their thoughts.

Regards,

Doug

ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    Thank you sir for a superb post, I doubt anyone could have better explained the almost immeasurable risks associated with helping strangers in a potentially violent situation. More times than I care to recall have I advised people who are new at CC to try to run a way at all costs if confronted and call 911 if witnessing a crime and DO NOT become physically involved if at all humanly possible. A similar thread was recently started here asking what would one do in a situation based on a machete attack in a restaurant. I replied I would most likely do nothing unless the attacker posed a imminent threat to my loved ones lives or was actually about to attack us, I would feel ashamed and like a coward for not helping the strangers under attack beyond dialing 911, but that's the way it is today. As a former police officer I'm sure you have all to often experienced situations where after you interviewed multiple eye witnesses to a crime, you ended up with as many different accounts of what happened as you had so called eye witnesses. I personally am simply unwilling to put my freedom as well as my financial life in the hands of complete strangers in present day America where there are few things more despised by the judicial system and society as a whole anymore than a man actually acting like a man.

It would seem these days the road to the penitentiary is paved with good intentions.

Color me a coward by way of litigation unless those I love are in danger, sorry strangers your SOL except for government sponsored dial-a-prayer AKA 911.

Top Bottom