• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    The above sounds like the law would support me getting reimbursed for saving his boat, but would not give me his boat. Am I reading it wrong?

Have you reas Ship of Gold about the USS Central America gold find? They talk quite a bit about the legal process to claim a "lost" vessel.

Correct! Salvage laws aren't "finders keepers", especially when there are vast sums of booty involved! Hell, they'll drag out maritime law books and precedents from the 1700' s if the state thinks they can [STRIKE]steal[/STRIKE] collect taxes from a large treasure find.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    So the tow company who never showed up apparently is part of a network. You pay annual fee and they promise to tow you in if you're in trouble. They clearly failed. The organization called a local contractor who then did not do what they were supposed to. Now supposedly $11,000 to get if off the beach. On FB captain said if you pay he'll sign boat over to you.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Nuttin' personal dude but if he takes anybody it'll probably be "tactically hot!"

I may not be as pretty as Kut, but my mom tells me I'm a handsome feller.

So he’s taking me?

You don't like Whiskey/Whisky. You can't go.

So the tow company who never showed up apparently is part of a network. You pay annual fee and they promise to tow you in if you're in trouble. They clearly failed. The organization called a local contractor who then did not do what they were supposed to. Now supposedly $11,000 to get if off the beach. On FB captain said if you pay he'll sign boat over to you.

I wonder what the captain's recourse from that service is...

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder

Funny you should bring this up; the GF and I were actually discussing selling everything, buying a sailboat and touring the Caribbean for the rest of our natural lives! (Actually I was dreaming of a simpler life and she was just acomodating my wistfulness.)

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Funny you should bring this up; the GF and I were actually discussing selling everything, buying a sailboat and touring the Caribbean for the rest of our natural lives! (Actually I was dreaming of a simpler life and she was just acomodating my wistfulness.)

wouldn't that be awesome? I have a friend whose uncle does boiler repair. Goes somewhere and works like a madman for three months, makes a ton of money, and then sails for nine

we're looking at doing a bareboat charter certification next summer

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Abandoned Vessel Claims Process FAQs

not according to Florida law. Interesting FAQ there. Plus it was pitching badly in waves, would have been tough to board. One guy did do so and got a sail up a bit briefly before dropping it and getting off. It drifted through as we were packing to leave.

An abandoned vessel and what you are describing are very different. In FL they have an ongoing issue with people that buy a 5k boat to live on and when it no longer is up to the task they just abandon it. Much different than the maritime law issues of salvaging a vessel in distress, such as this one.

M

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    An abandoned vessel and what you are describing are very different. In FL they have an ongoing issue with people that buy a 5k boat to live on and when it no longer is up to the task they just abandon it. Much different than the maritime law issues of salvaging a vessel in distress, such as this one.

M

All I know is what I read (regarding the law). I posted that i had the right to be repaid for my salavage efforts by the owner if I made an attempt to save the boat. I did not have the right to the boat.

but to be fair, he abandoned the boat and assumed it sank. It WAS abandanded, but also in distress. Probably a field day for maritime lawyers :):

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    It's scrap now. Too bad.

It's not scrap. That boat in the condition it is in is worth more than the costs to get it off the beach.

45' sailboat and I bet the interior is still in pretty good shape. Hull is obviously in pretty good shape to have not sunk, only washed ashore. Excavator did some damage but nothing too terrible. Could be a $100-150k boat depending on make and amenities. (with repairs/refurb)

Top Bottom