• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    "We know that the air marshals have a very high attrition rate, they have a very high burnout rate, and many of the air marshals who have been tasked with being detailed to multiple flights within a week's time can burn out quite quickly,"

Multiple flights within a week's time... that doesn't sound like very much, but it is a statement that is open to interpretation. How often do they actually fly?

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Well, he did get a paycheck from the Excise police and he did have a badge, but . . .

............but, according to a very reliable source, was widely considering the laughing-stock of the Excise Police. He "earned" that position by being Julia's grandson. He does like to refer to his "career" in Law Enforcement.

Everything he knows about Air Marshals could be inscribed on the head of a pin with a dull shovel!

On topic, if the job is that stressful, why would anybody want it?

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    ............but, according to a very reliable source, was widely considering the laughing-stock of the Excise Police. He "earned" that position by being Julia's grandson. He does like to refer to his "career" in Law Enforcement.

Everything he knows about Air Marshals could be inscribed on the head of a pin with a dull shovel!

I seem to recall hearing that Andre lost his gun as an excise copper? Good to be related to Julia...

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    But I thought the "don't remove yor weapon from its holster UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES" (unless it's to use) crowd said to leave where it dangles even when completing a major transaction . There were even in use photos posted on how to do it!:dunno:

I was chastised by the same crowd once for stating that I take my duty weapon out of it's holster when I get home every day and put it in a different one. :n00b:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

Agreed on all counts. I was actually just making a snarky remark about his "service."

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    You get what you pay for. It would be interesting to know what the qualification standards are. On the other hand if they hire from the same pool as the gate inspectors what can be expected.

I'm no expert but I personally know several former co workers that left DOJ when the FAM's program expanded in 2001. There were high standards on shooting and after the initial rush where they drained the other agencies the standards (other than Shooting) started to I'll say take a step back.

There was a retired Secret Service director appointmented to run FAMS at the beginning but his Hitler type persona dictating little boy haircuts and tourist type fanny packs we're a giveaway. Several DOJ guys came back. Another couple co workers left in 2005 ish and they love it. Different director and no more little boy haircuts.

The FAMS do have an extensive interview an background check process and the academy isn't a joke. Pretty physical but that's about all they could disclose. They are not even allowed to comment on forums and their FB and other social.media status is looked at.

If your in your early 30's and don't mind flying not a bad gig now

As far as the gun issue. While sad when you have those numbers sometimes a couple get through. Remember in any class someone finnished last!

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    A Henderson Kentucky city police officer (on the swat team no less)had his city owned ar15 stolen out of his personal unlocked vehicle about 2 weeks ago, he lives in Evansville and had his department issued gun in his unlocked (personal) vehicle while living in an area the vanderburgh county sheriff was all over the media telling people to make sure they lock their doors due to a rash of cars being burgled, and only unlocked cars were being hit!

as of last week the officer is on “desk patrol” and the rifle hasn’t been found yet, an arrest has been made and the batfe is involved (there were lots of guns stolen during the crime spree) but They still haven’t recovered the department owned doublestar ar15 (since it’s a doublestar i assume it’s an ar15 not a m16)

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009

I seem to recall hearing that Andre lost his gun as an excise copper? Good to be related to Julia...

A bigger laughingstock than good old Ronald McDonald? (I s*!t you not, Evansville had an excise “officer” named Ronald McDonald) this id10t was sutpid enough to ticket the fop bar in Evansville! Yes the feternal order of police!
    he got into a fight and got his gun taken away from him!, I understand his job was to ticket and arrest underage drinkers and smokers, but come on, Ronald McDonald raiding an fop bar??? I know Carson is a head but worse than Ronald McDonald!

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    Off and on I have shot competition for 35 years. In three states.For a fact I know some were local and state LEO also a number were DEA, and FBI. If you want to grade there shooting ability's with the USPSA scoring system there were a few master class shooters. But a whole lot more D class.

This is not about shooting ability this is about public safety and the type of people they hire. If they can't remember there gun they don't belong in that job. And yes I realize people make mistakes.

With the number of forgotten firearms this needs to be address in the training to weed out the forgetful ones. It is one thing when someone forgets a gun in a restaurant bathroom something else in an airport.

How many times have we read about law enforcement officers complain about the lowering of standards for diversity or the fact they can't find recruits to pass the test for one reason or another. Can any one for sure say the TSA is immune to this.

What I see of the TSA there are some good qualified people working there. But also a lot of filler bodies too. I also realize my experience with airports is also very limited.

With the problems they are having my opinion a top to bottom look needs to be taken at the whole agency.

Top Bottom