• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    What is the definition of republic? And do you know that a republic and a democracy are not mutually exclusive?
    • In a pure democracy, laws are made directly by the voting majority leaving the rights of the minority largely unprotected.
    • In a republic, laws are made by representatives chosen by the people and must comply with a constitution that specifically protects the rights of the minority from the will of the majority.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    Deficit relates to cash flow, indicating how much more is going out than is coming in for any given time period. Debt relates to net worth, the negative side. They are related, but different things. Run a deficit too long and you'll be forced in to debt, but you can have debt while running a surplus and you can run a deficit without accruing debt.

For example, due to medical bills I ran a *deficit* in a given month but I did not accrue *debt* because I drew down assets to make up the shortcoming in my cash flow for the month. I do not run a deficit the other 11 months of the year, but I still have debt those months because I have a mortgage.

Making the two things synonymous would be quite confusing.

In the specific case of the federal government, debt is also an asset, as different parts of the gov't hold that debt. Social Security is probably still the biggest holder of US gov't debt there is, but I haven't looked recently. If you own US Savings bonds or Treasuries, you own US debt as well.
    Well stated. But let's face it; most people think McCorporation makes a dollar in profit when they purchase a one dollar sandwich. As if there's no costs to serving billions.
    • In a pure democracy, laws are made directly by the voting majority leaving the rights of the minority largely unprotected.
    • In a republic, laws are made by representatives chosen by the people and must comply with a constitution that specifically protects the rights of the minority from the will of the majority.
    Hear, hear!

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    But we are NOT a democracy...
    We are a representative democracy in a Constitutional republic.
    You are correct about a pure democracy although the same can happen in a representative democracy as well.

Our Constitution and the make up of the representational body help prevent abuses by the majority.

In our govt laws must comply with the Constitution, that is not a requirement of being a Republic.

At its base a Republic is nothing more than a governing system that is not composed of royalty or to put it another way sovereignty is held by the people. Think of most of Europe at the time of the founding of the US vs our system of governance. Here is a decent breakdown on the definition of republic.

And does the US fit most if not all (except #3) of the definitions of democracy?

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    We are a representative democracy in a Constitutional republic.

You are correct about a pure democracy although the same can happen in a representative democracy as well.

Our Constitution and the make up of the representational body help prevent abuses by the majority.

In our govt laws must comply with the Constitution, that is not a requirement of being a Republic.

At its base a Republic is nothing more than a governing system that is not composed of royalty or to put it another way sovereignty is held by the people. Think of most of Europe at the time of the founding of the US vs our system of governance. Here is a decent breakdown on the definition of republic.

And does the US fit most if not all (except #3) of the definitions of democracy?
    You can play the semantics game, I will not. We are a constitutional republic. We are clearly not a democracy. Dance around this all you care to, I`m not going to play.

1903 Perfection

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2022
    St Petersburg Florida
    Argue about whether or not we are a D or a R....but remember, an old foolish puppet can cost you your JOB, and disrupt your financial survival if you choose not to have an unknown substance injected into your body. A few words is all it takes.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    MistyBowedEasternglasslizard-size_restricted.gif

You can play the semantics game, I will not. We are a constitutional republic. We are clearly not a democracy. Dance around this all you care to, I`m not going to play.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    No semantic games. We are a constitutional republic, I agree. We are also a representational democracy. Heck being a democracy is an almost intrinsic part of being a republic.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The reason we are a representative democracy is because of the system of government outlined in the constitution part of the "constitutional republic."

The same constitution is also the reason why there are limits placed on that representative democracy.

A different constitutional republic with a different constitution can have a wildly different form of government.

Top Bottom