• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I would have to argue that it had a hold long before that.
    I'm not sure how to properly phrase it but didn't the Founding Fathers scribe our Constitution to where there wouldn't be "Mob Rule"??

I think it has always been around but it hit the front lines in Chicago. The movement has been in constant motion since then. Or I just became aware of it around then. Remember the Dems were not the same party they are now coming into the 60's. Towards the end of the 60's changes were in the works. A new breed of cat was coming into play.

I grew up in a lever pulling Dem party family. I had a serious struggle to actually change my views when the light hit me square in the eyes. And I really did not care for those people so how could they possibly be right.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    The old party of working people, the democrats have moved on. As an old man I can drive around Indiana and see all the places that once employed masses of working people in factories now gone. Those people now see the party as having more concern with illegal aliens, college professors, and foreign business people than them and it was reflected in the last presidential election. Back in the 70s could anyone imagine people working at Chrysler foundry, Western Electric, Guide, or many other places and voting for a loud, vulgar, rich kid like Donald Trump for president? The fact that so many of those people voted for him in 2016 instead of the DNC's standard bearer shows you just how far things have come. Those folks do feel like they have been left out and if President Trump is perceived as having helped them they'll vote for him again no matter how bad his personal image is.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    If we are talking about dead parties that aren't what they used to be, then the republican party is the clear zombie in this one.

Years ago the republican party was about small government and less taxes. They didn't really do it, but the party candidates did talk about it all the time.

Then came W. with with neoconservatives and compassionate conservatism and spending blew through the roof, kindof stabbing the old republicans in the back. But hey, military spending was up, jobs were up, economy full steam ahead, so the griping was smothered.

Then comes, late in the W. years and into the Obama years the Tea Party, which pushed fiscal responsibility - FOR REAL! So they then smashed the neoconservatives and brought the republicans hard right, very hard. So hard that it went way beyond the old guard republicans who only talked the talk but never walked the walk.

Now comes the Trump. There is ABSOLUTELY NO, NONE, ZERO, NADA, NYET government philosophy attached to this man. He pulls the party into a war with the democrats (ok, fine) and has a basic philosophy of "This is what I want and I want it now!" What he wants and what a portion of his base wants are the same thing so things are somewhat copacetic, for now. What happens in 2020 or 2024 when Trump leaves? Seriously? This is a genuine question.

The republican party has been so spun around for the last quarter of a century that I don't think there will be a stable unified republican stance on governing philosophy for decades to come. There is no clear leader, no unified message, just...?

Regards,

Doug

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    If we are talking about dead parties that aren't what they used to be, then the republican party is the clear zombie in this one.

Years ago the republican party was about small government and less taxes. They didn't really do it, but the party candidates did talk about it all the time.

Then came W. with with neoconservatives and compassionate conservatism and spending blew through the roof, kindof stabbing the old republicans in the back. But hey, military spending was up, jobs were up, economy full steam ahead, so the griping was smothered.

Then comes, late in the W. years and into the Obama years the Tea Party, which pushed fiscal responsibility - FOR REAL! So they then smashed the neoconservatives and brought the republicans hard right, very hard. So hard that it went way beyond the old guard republicans who only talked the talk but never walked the walk.

Now comes the Trump. There is ABSOLUTELY NO, NONE, ZERO, NADA, NYET government philosophy attached to this man. He pulls the party into a war with the democrats (ok, fine) and has a basic philosophy of "This is what I want and I want it now!" What he wants and what a portion of his base wants are the same thing so things are somewhat copacetic, for now.
    What happens in 2020 or 2024 when Trump leaves? Seriously? This is a genuine question.

The republican party has been so spun around for the last quarter of a century that I don't think there will be a stable unified republican stance on governing philosophy for decades to come. There is no clear leader, no unified message, just...?

Regards,

Doug

In 2024, when Donald Trump finishes his second term, Ted Cruz will be 54 and have been a successful senator from Texas for 12 years, and Ron DeSantis will be only 46 and have been the successful governor of Florida for six years. Either man will have enough gravitas and experience with which to run, just to name two

Virtually all the squish Republicans will be writing for the NYT or WaPo except George Will, who will be a consultant to CNN; by then having had more and more difficulty getting anyone right of Sherrod Brown to take him seriously or care about his yacht club swell vision of conservatism (small 'c'). John Kasich will be a trivia question on Jeopardy

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    In 2024, when Donald Trump finishes his second term, Ted Cruz will be 54 and have been a successful senator from Texas for 12 years, and Ron DeSantis will be only 46 and have been the successful governor of Florida for six years. Either man will have enough gravitas and experience with which to run, just to name two

Virtually all the squish Republicans will be writing for the NYT or WaPo except George Will, who will be a consultant to CNN; by then having had more and more difficulty getting anyone right of Sherrod Brown to take him seriously or care about his yacht club swell vision of conservatism (small 'c'). John Kasich will be a trivia question on Jeopardy

You're right, as usual. But I do see a more fundamental conservative Repub party forming from the ashes of the current RINO party. I see many young people who are productive in their lives and looking for answers. They're smart enough to see through the bs, if we can hold out a little longer.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Alexandria.jpg

The future looks bright.

AHHHHHHH! WTF?! Knock it off ! This isn't Halloween!

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    You're right, as usual. But I do see a more fundamental conservative Repub party forming from the ashes of the current RINO party. I see many young people who are productive in their lives and looking for answers. They're smart enough to see through the bs, if we can hold out a little longer.

If Ted Cruz ends up as a serious candidate for president, after the way he got down on his knees for Trump, the GOP will officially become the party of cucks.
    ANY man, that lets another talk about his wife and father, and takes it like a dog, isn't deserving of respect. For the record, I liked Cruz, but after the comments Trump made about his family, and his willingness to "take it," he forever lost my respect. I would hope that would be true for most of the membership here, who while a bit "off base," I think generally have manly traits.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    If Ted Cruz ends up as a serious candidate for president, after the way he got down on his knees for Trump, the GOP will officially become the party of cucks.
    ANY man, that lets another talk about his wife and father, and takes it like a dog, isn't deserving of respect. For the record, I liked Cruz, but after the comments Trump made about his family, and his willingness to "take it," he forever lost my respect. I would hope that would be true for most of the membership here, who while a bit "off base," I think generally have manly traits.

Besides, for kissing the Ring Cruz is going to be nominated to replace RBG.;)

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Yawn. Whining about God in schools and Christmas was old news in 1970. Get over it, granddad, not everyone believes in sky fairies. But we still believe in the part of the Constitution that says the government cannot use schools to teach religious indoctrination.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Every time I see Occasional Cortex it makes me think about the red headed commie on I Love Lucy.:dunno:

But about the DNC of today, the commie ploy (doctrine might be a better term for it) of dividing up a populace into disparate groups of victims and selecting out of the populace the parts that can be made into a "popular front" is exactly what the nation is faced with. They do it that way because people are to a large extent gullible, because it provides good controlability and it is extremely difficult to counteract. Looking not so far back in history it's the same as what colonial powers did with indigenous people, tribes, whatever groups were there to be diddled.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The old party of working people, the democrats have moved on. As an old man I can drive around Indiana and see all the places that once employed masses of working people in factories now gone. Those people now see the party as having more concern with illegal aliens, college professors, and foreign business people than them and it was reflected in the last presidential election. Back in the 70s could anyone imagine people working at Chrysler foundry, Western Electric, Guide, or many other places and voting for a loud, vulgar, rich kid like Donald Trump for president? The fact that so many of those people voted for him in 2016 instead of the DNC's standard bearer shows you just how far things have come. Those folks do feel like they have been left out and if President Trump is perceived as having helped them they'll vote for him again no matter how bad his personal image is.

And the left is going full "Monti" on tarnishing that image.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Yawn. Whining about God in schools and Christmas was old news in 1970. Get over it, granddad, not everyone believes in sky fairies. But we still believe in the part of the Constitution that says the government cannot use schools to teach religious indoctrination.

The most telling part of your quote is how you believe in 'parts' of the Constitution. Trust us, we never doubted it. SJWs of any stripe always believe in the 'parts' of the Constitution they like, or find useful, or had activist judges make up

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

Well, Trump doesn't have your respect either; and he's doing quite a good job despite that 'deficit'.

Frankly, I'm surprised that anyone who wants to be taken seriously on INGO or any other forum (short of the Breitbart comments section) would actually use the short form of cuckold as a pejorative! I can only assume that a similarly facile post over on, say, JustPut would get you eaten alive

Since I am constructing an overarching opinion based on one action/situation, while ignoring nuance, you should be fine with it, no?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Well, Trump doesn't have your respect either; and he's doing quite a good job despite that 'deficit'.

Frankly, I'm surprised that anyone who wants to be taken seriously on INGO or any other forum (short of the Breitbart comments section) would actually use the short form of cuckold as a pejorative! I can only assume that a similarly facile post over on, say, JustPut would get you eaten alive

Since I am constructing an overarching opinion based on one action/situation, while ignoring nuance, you should be fine with it, no?

Oh undoubtedly, but those guys are able to understand and convey ideas a tad bit better than most other places.
    The shortened version of cuckold, "cuck," is supposed to be a pejorative... well at least to every one who isn't one.... :dunno:

Oh and Putin agrees. Trump is doing a good job.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Oh undoubtedly, but those guys are able to understand and convey ideas a tad bit better than most other places.
    The shortened version of cuckold, "cuck," is supposed to be a pejorative... well at least to every one who isn't one.... :dunno:

Oh and Putin agrees. Trump is doing a good job.

Oh, I understand that 'cuck' is supposed to be pejorative, I was commenting on the relevance and sagacity (or lack thereof) of the people I've seen use it (in print, I've never heard anyone actually utter the word - possibly because I don't hang with Steve Bannon or Milo admirers. Possibly because those I do associate with would relentlessly ridicule anyone small-minded enough to actually assay such a playground level insult)

And a 'Russia, Russia, Russia' reference, how droll. If your account hasn't been hacked by a lesser mind, perhaps you can still use that excuse

Top Bottom