• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    Ayup...had a buddy a few years back who got a Colt SAA from their custom shop. It was a POS. A trip back to Colt did not resolve the issues of poor workmanship. He took the thing to a gun show where a rep for American Western Arms traded him THREE new SAA's for his Colt.

My delighted pal announced he was going to do an "action job" on one of them. The next day he came in and said that parts were breaking on the gun.

I said, "By any chance did you use your Dremel on those parts?"

The look on his face answered my question. I gave a brief explanation of heat treating and that his use of the Dremel had turned the affected parts into metallic potato chips. I advised him to send to Brownell's for replacement parts and to order a set of hand hones if he wanted to monkey with "action jobs".

I don't even allow my Dremel in the same room with my guns.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Forgot to post pics of end result....
    8eef8dc0658706dea009122a4145d1b9.jpg
    Looks good. Certain tools have their place in capable hands

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    It's the fool not the tool.
    I haven't been in a gunsmithing shop that didn't have a dremel tool of some kind.
    I use one regularly in my shop and spent 30 years using a die grinder(air powered Dremel basically) on dies that were worth 100's of thousands of dollars.
    A good Dremel/Die grinder operator can do a lot of the things a mill and lathe can do just not as fast.
    Some people shouldn't be allowed to use tools and never on guns.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Dremel's and Glocks do not go together……………..just saying.

I put the whole 3.5# trigger parts in my 19, connector, springs, safety plunger, and I did a light polish with a Dremel (cloth wheel with flitz)on all the moving parts, trigger pull was about 3 pounds, nice crisp reset, and felt better than most drop in triggers

took it to the range, and it double tapped! pulled the trigger 9 times and emptied all 18 rounds (plus 3 mag extension)...was kinda fun!...but also it was a machine gun!, I went home, pulled all the parts out and made it stock again, carried it a few months, and thought try it again, so I put the parts back in, took it to the range again and no more double taps, but its got a 3.14# trigger according to my gauge!

when I do my own trigger jobs I use a Dremel with a cloth polishing wheel and flitz, not to lighten the pull, but to remove the grit, to smooth it out.

so a Dremel can be a heck of a tool to a gunsmith...but it can also butcher a gun in the wrong hands!

Top Bottom