• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gaudard

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    Terre Haute
    I've seen various discussions about using these so I'd like to see some discussion about them.

I've seen that they are useful when you need a place to store odds and ends, half used magazines or magazines that don't fit in a carrier that you have. The primary argument I see for this is you should make getting something you need from a pouch that has a little of everything in it. In a fight the orientation of the item you pull out matters, and getting the right item for the task is important.

It makes since to me that you don't want a jumble of items to get confused during a fight.

I've also seen people say they are used for dropping used mags rather than dumping them on the ground. The opposite view says that during a fight or SHTF you drop them on the ground and pick them up later after the shooting has stopped.

Having no background, I may be talking out of my ass but it would seem that if you can drop it in the bag almost as fast as you could drop it on the ground it would be a lot less effort to go back and get it. No maybe from a Mil or LE prospective you can safely assume a steady supply of mags, but what about a SHTF? Wouldn't mags become a scarce resource? If you are dropping a mag that is almost empty during a lull in the fighting, those few rounds could be a scarce resource.

If you are a or hope to be a competition shooter, I can see where you don't want to create the habit of dropping them in a pouch because those seconds can be the difference between first and second.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Dump pouches are most useful when you are moving. Like you said, if you're in a static position, dropping the ground and retrieving later will work just as well (unless you have a bad back). On the other hand, if you're moving (like you should be), you may no longer be close enough to whatever you dropped on the ground tor retrieve it easily.

Magazine retention is probably only an issue if you have a limited supply of magazines with no immediate source of resupply. One example would be those people who were in the water in New Orleans after the Katrina-related floods. Dropping a mag into that water meant perhaps losing it permanently, and resupply was limited. A good dump pouch would make sense in that kind of scenario.

However, you can do the same thing by dropping stuff into the open front of your shirt or keep an extra cargo pocket empty for that reason.

Retrieving items from a dump pouch is something I would not expect to be able to do quickly under stress unless you're careful about what you place in there and how you place it. To me, that kind of defeats the purpose, though.

For most of us, dump pouches are a matter of convenience.

On the other hand, you could wear a rolypoly on your belt all the time. You could use if for a lot non-gun related things, but if you need to grab your rifle and go, I think it would be of more use as a way to carry your spare ammunition more than as a dump pouch.

Fireaxes

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2010
    Wabash County
    99% of the time I don't feel like I would need a dump pouch. If there ever comes a time I feel like I need a rifle and extra mags, I decided on this setup.
    Mine is a "battlebag" or whatever you want to call it. I took a fold up dump pouch, hooked it through a carabiner on the front of the bag.
    x012.jpg

x009.jpg

Now I have a dump pouch easily available if I feel I need it. Odds are, if I'm running around shooting multiple mags, I may want to keep my partials and empties.

Grizhicks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    Rhino hit the 'nail on the head'; my old platoon sergeant taught us to never drop a mag (or try not to) (& with 3 SF tours in Nam, he should know), you have to have something to reload. Learned to stuff down front of shirt, but like the idea of the dump bag better. -- Greg

BTW, even at IDPA matches, I try not to drop empties (but do some time).

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I had one on my belt during the recent PD Carbine training. I actually bought it the week before the training as I wasn't really familiar with the concept.

During the training I found that I used it to store empty / partial mags after a mag change, but only AFTER I had picked them up off the ground at the completion of a particular excersize. It was a convenient way to gather up all of the magazines and carry them back to the truck. During the live fire I was dropping free to the ground, and replacing quickly.

My thinking is that if I was in a firefight that drove me to doing a very quick mag change (i.e. no or very little cover, no buddy to cover me) I wouldn't even worry about trying to recover the mag and my focus would be on speed. I think the same would be true in a timed competition.

If I was in a situation where I had more time, such as firing from cover, or having a buddy to cover me, I would consider dropping into the dump pouch to allow me to continue to have a supply of mags.

I see a lot of folks keep one on their war belts, so I'm interested as to the thoughts of others as well.

jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    When I was on the SWAT team 03-05, they either weren't "en vogue" or the concept just hadn't reached us yet. We trained to drop to the ground and load from the vest. It's been amazing to watch the development of new tactics and gear based on T & E overseas. Based on the gear and training that's out there, one has to decide what works best for them. I'm a training nut, so learning and implementing some of these great new paradigms isn't so bad....

I'm thinking about incorporating one into my loadout, but probably only in a fashion similar to JB's post above. Plus it's one of those handy dandy little things that falls under the category of "better to have and not need, than need and not have..."

This looks like a good thread to bring back this one: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo.../67658-lets_see_your_web_gear_-_pictures.html

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    I always wear my dump pouch on my left thigh (drop down type rig), it takes a bit of training to get used to transitioning away from simply dropping the mags at your feet, but it makes keeping track of empty magazines much much easier & so far I haven't lost any of my magazines during training exercises since adding the dump pouch to my load out.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    When I'm in a class where I'll need a lot of magazines each time I go to the line, I usually wear my rolypoly over my belt buckle. It gives me a kangarhino pouch to put loaded mags. I refill my belt carriers from it.

If I use a bag to dump stuff, I put it where I can reach it the easiest with my support hand (left hip), since that's the hand that will be putting things in there.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    I keep my dump pouch affixed to my side just above my waist. It's a definite time saver, i can dump on the move or discreetly while having a conversation at dinner. most of us don't like the term "dump pouch" we prefer "colostomy bag", its the same as a "poop balloon" but you get the idea. I appreciate whomever started this thread to bring my affliction to light, and i'm glad most of you embrace the concept with open arms. I've ninja pooped twice in the time it's taken me to type this and no one noticed.

Top Bottom