• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    Let this stand as a testament to the amount of money BRD causes you to spend. :laugh: And my condition is nothing compared to some of those afflicted here. :ar15:

Here is what I started with- an entry level DPMS Panther Lite-16
    pics1004.jpg

After learning more about the history of the platform and the different features availble, I decided I had to have a Colt. I chose the LE6920 and sold the DPMS shortly after.
    IMG_1279.jpg

But soon, I started browsing forums and learned about all the neat accessories (just like with guitars:dude:)

So the first thing I did was buy some cheap-o MIC POS reddot and a Magpul MBUS. I purchased the MBUS because I didn't want to shell out the cash for the Troys, but it turned out the MBUS is a reliable and accurate sight.
    IMG_1308.jpg

Soon, I realized that all the cool kids had rail systems, so I found a killer deal on a Knight's Armament Company RAS- the same rail the US military uses. Then I replaced the cheap RDS with an EoTech 512 I bought used from a forum. It came with one of those sweet vertical grips.
    IMG_1337.jpg

But then I realized I didn't really care for the EoTech, so when a phenomenal deal on a Trijicon Advanced Combat Optical Gunsight came my way, I sold my EoTech and my SG Standard to get it. I also replaced the KAC VG with a Grip-Pod- an enormous VG with a built in bi-pod.
    IMG00060-20100623-0835.jpg

By now I realized that in order to be a true internet operator, I needed an awesome sling setup. So I added the Magpul ASAP Sling Adapter and purchased a one point sling. But the Magpul bug is addicting, so this morning I dressed my lil Pony in new clothes. I replaced the stock with a CTR and the grip with a MIAD. Then i added replaced the original rail covers with the XT ones. The Grip-pod came off and a Magpul angled front grip went on.
    The only thing left is to swap the black MBUS for a FDE one, but I am trying hard to resist.
    20110518124847.jpg

20110518124858.jpg

And all of this doesn't include my new M16A4 clone, which is already being primed to get a set of Magpul MOE handguards.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    :spend:

Thanks for the breakdown! Its always interesting to see why different folks chose different things when it comes to ARs.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    :spend:

Thanks for the breakdown! Its always interesting to see why different folks chose different things when it comes to ARs.

most of mine were based on price or because i read about them on interwebz forums. :rolleyes::laugh: i bought the DPMS during the hysteria because it was the cheapest in the shop. I bought that BSA RDS because it was cheap and I figured it would be "good enough". And so on and so on.

while i was in bradis this morning, shooter and i were shooting the breeze while he modded my Colt. one of things we were talking about was the progression of our ARs and how different they become over time. His remarks prompted me to make this thread.

Last edited:

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    i completely forgot to ask shooter about a matching PMAG. I'm sure I'll be back; I think I might put a Magpul ladder cover on the top rail for a different look. And by that time, I will probably want to swap the black MBUS for a FDE one.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    LPMan59 and I were talking about how our rifles have evolved over the years; I mentioned I had found some pics of my very first AR from 1998. I still have it. It has been through 3 major configuration changes (and at least that many minor ones) since I originally built it, and the only original part left is the lower itself. :): Unfortunately I don't have a scanner at the moment to digitize the pics, but I've provided descriptions and a rough timeline below. The lower is currently upper-less, but will be reborn in yet another configuration later this year...

1998 - Bushmaster complete lower, A2 stock, M1S 16" HBAR A2 upper w/ naked muzzle (this was during the AWB years); cheap-o carry handle rail with Tasco ProPoint red dot

2001 - Flat-top upper with ARMS #40 BUIS, 16" HBAR w/ perm-attached YHM Mini-Y comp, pinned telestock :n00b:, RRA 2-stage trigger, OKO red dot sight

2004 - AWB Sunset!! :rockwoot: Flat-top upper w/ ARMS #40 BUIS, 16" 1x7 M4 barrel, VLTOR telestock, Samson free-float quad rail forearm, Aimpoint

2011 - :shady:

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    DSCF0457.jpg

and it needs a MOE!:rockwoot:
    A MOE stock? I thought about that on mine, to complete the look of a decked out rifle :) but instead I got a CAA cheek piece for like $20 to hold me over until I can afford a CTR. I don't see the point of spending good money on a new stock that doesn't clamp down on the buffer tube and stay in place. I understand it looks cool, but I am saving my money for a CTR. :twocents:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    1998 - Bushmaster complete lower, A2 stock, M1S 16" HBAR A2 upper w/ naked muzzle (this was during the AWB years); cheap-o carry handle rail with Tasco ProPoint red dot

Holy crap that is funny dude! :laugh:

BTW, I was in the 8th grade in '98. ;)

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    A MOE stock? I thought about that on mine, to complete the look of a decked out rifle :) but instead I got a CAA cheek piece for like $20 to hold me over until I can afford a CTR. I don't see the point of spending good money on a new stock that doesn't clamp down on the buffer tube and stay in place. I understand it looks cool, but I am saving my money for a CTR. :twocents:

Definitely spend the extra on the CTR! That's the first thing I usually purchase for my AR's. I'm currently running one on my SBR, Saiga 12, and M&P-15/22. I can't stand for things to rattle around on a quality rifle.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    definitely needed an FDE Pmag for the look:
    20110527113412.jpg

and then added this badboy this morning thanks to Mark at Bradis:
    20110527113546.jpg

20110527113517-1.jpg

for those of you interested in the Gunfighter Charging Handle, this is the "Large". Mark was sold out of the "Medium" this morning. After seeing it in person, the Large isn't as big as I though it would be. I think it will do nicely.

Top Bottom