The Food Snobbery of Politics: Whole Foods Liberals vs Fast Food Conservatives.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I didn't know that eating good or bad was a political thing.
    I just don't like people telling me what to eat.
    I try to eat somewhat healthy, but don't need a nanny to look over my shoulder.
    And I don't like the health food snobs.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    Everyone should be able to eat whatever he or she wants. Those who are annoying are those who try to push their views (vegan, ect...) on others. But it does seem those who do that tend to belong to the Dem. party.

Archaic_Entity

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    I like this article. It does point out some of the shortcomings that we, as singular people, can face. It's true that we, as conservatives, general espouse self-reliant ideals. I like that it's pointed out that a lot of us seem to fail in that department when it comes to food. I don't think it's a causation of being conservative, however, just a correlation. I personally attempt to eat as healthy as possible. I cook as many meals as I have time to cook and don't indulge on sweets generally. I think that's mostly because I don't have much of a sweet tooth, though.

Either way, the author does point out that Bloomberg's attempts to regulate NYC beverages was poorly executed, which is a good call. I wouldn't say that Mrs. Obama's attempt to get people eating healthier is a bad thing at all. Every First Lady has done something, has had some sort of crusade, it just sucks that people have to call her out for hers, but that's politics.

And I don't like the health food snobs.

+1 on Designer's question. The article is about the perception of who/what a food snob is and why you think that. I'd like to hear your response.

Everyone should be able to eat whatever he or she wants. Those who are annoying are those who try to push their views (vegan, ect...) on others. But it does seem those who do that tend to belong to the Dem. party.

Well, again, that's what the article points out. Sure they do, but many conservatives eat unhealthily, it seems, to spite the "whole foods" agenda. Making legislation to force people to eat healthy is wrong, but what's wrong with a friend asking you to try out what they eat? It seems that conservatives are generally intolerant of attempting to try what a liberal would want them to, even if they may like it better.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County

Yup. If they want to change habits, they need to change minds through a long term education campaign, not by dictating what we eat through law, or by sending Jamie Oliver out for a week. That's not how this country, or human nature, works. Typical liberals, they think they can dictate everything, and because of their superior mental status, people will bow down and thank them as heros for leading the way.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Everybody's going to die of something. This foolish pursuit of extended life through self-deprivation is just another example of the misplaced sense that we can live forever if we just try thisandthat. It doesn't help that standards for "obesity" and other health factors have been increased (or downgraded, depending upon how you look at it) as the medical community attempts to save us from ourselves. And how often have their pronouncements, made with all the benefits of scientific studies, turned out in the long run NOT to be completely true. Various attempts to stem "heart disease" come to mind.

Screw 'em.

Archaic_Entity

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Everybody's going to die of something. This foolish pursuit of extended life through self-deprivation is just another example of the misplaced sense that we can live forever if we just try thisandthat. It doesn't help that standards for "obesity" and other health factors have been increased (or downgraded, depending upon how you look at it) as the medical community attempts to save us from ourselves. And how often have their pronouncements, made with all the benefits of scientific studies, turned out in the long run NOT to be completely true. Various attempts to stem "heart disease" come to mind.

Screw 'em.

I think there's a misconception that a lot of folks have that "healthy" equates to "yucky." I only vaguely understand where that comes from. A person grows up eating sweets and fatty foods all their lives then tries to switch to something their body has never had and they can't stand it. Makes sense. But there's nothing inherently disgusting about healthy foods. In fact, I enjoy fresh peanut butter more than processed peanut butter. I enjoy local wildflower honey more than whatever comes in that bear, wherever it comes from. I enjoy grass-fed, free-range beef more than the stuff I find at Kroger. Moderately more expensive? Sure. But it tastes better.

I'm not sacrificing anything when it comes to taste by eating this stuff. I simply think it's better, and as a plus happens to be better for me.

I think it has more to do with social class/education levels than political preferences.

I would agree. I think I stated that the correlation isn't causation here. It just so happens that uppity liberals are more likely to be vocal about pushing their ideals on others for "the good of the children." Poor urban areas are largely Democrat voters and often eat just as unhealthily as their conservative counterparts. More wealthy conservative families probably (but I have no evidence to back this up) eat the same or similar healthy foods as their liberal counterparts.

Yup. If they want to change habits, they need to change minds through a long term education campaign, not by dictating what we eat through law, or by sending Jamie Oliver out for a week. That's not how this country, or human nature, works. Typical liberals, they think they can dictate everything, and because of their superior mental status, people will bow down and thank them as heros for leading the way.

Agreed. The only part I'd ask you about, do you think that Michelle Obama's attempts to act as a role-model and openly talk about healthier eating falls into "dictating" or "education campaign?" And how would you propose doing one over the other?

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010

Screw 'em.

Not sure I've ever seen a more blatant anti-intellectual post on this forum.

Nothing is more important to health than diet, yet we spend trillions on health care rather than reform ours.

I have no clue what the ideal diet is, and I bet many others don't, either, if for no other reason than there's not much individualized profit in getting people to eat healthier.

Increases in health would lead to lower taxes and cheaper insurance premiums and thus there's something in this debate for everyone. We just need to take it seriously.

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Interesting article on how what we eat has turned into an issue of political class and culture. The stereotypical "liberal" who only buys from Whole Foods vs the fast food "conservative." Especially timely since Indiana is now in the top 10 most obese states (up from 15th last year.)

What's your take?

Porky Populism | The American Conservative

No we conservatives do not waste our money buying the high priced crap from Whole Foods. Trader Joe is far more afordable, even less expensive than Krogers in many cases.

Or we grow our own food in gardens then can it.

The leftwingers are insecure thus like to be seen as "smarter". Look at the bike freaks who think that they are somehow better just because they cycle. The left is clueless, can not fix anything and generally has to have us conservatives make things work for them.

Designer99

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I work right next to a Whole Foods and stop in to grab something for dinner at least 2-3 times a week. Usually a package of Indiana raised chicken and some locally grown vegetables. I like that it supports local, instead of fast-food corporate global and willing to pay more for it.

Yes, it costs more. But, the way I see it is I can either pay more for healthy food now or pay a lot more in health care from eating crap food later. I'd rather eat good, healthy food now and avoid the side-effects and disease of a fast food diet + health expenses.

Also as stated in the article: For some people, cooking is their hobby. Enjoying good food with friends is meaningful to them. When you look at it that way, the extra cost for your food hobby and entertainment is probably cheaper than a fast-food diet + hobbies.

I'm a big fan of hitting up the farmer's markets on saturdays too.

Designer99

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    Indianapolis
    The leftwingers are insecure thus like to be seen as "smarter". Look at the bike freaks who think that they are somehow better just because they cycle. The left is clueless, can not fix anything and generally has to have us conservatives make things work for them.

I know a lot of foodies and bikers. Not once have I heard any of them give a rats a** about what other people think of what they're doing. In fact, its quite the opposite. They are almost entirely focused on themselves...like a training athlete.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I don't know about the whole issue. We eat out a couple times a week. I would say we go to a "fast food" 6 times a year. We grow a lot of the food we eat. Just like last night we had corn, potatoes and call right out of the garden. We only bought the skinless, boneless chicken breasts that I baked.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    If you bought a Chik-Fil-A sandwich last week, you should certainly be shopping at Whole Foods. :)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1d6eQF5b15s[/ame]

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You just illustrated the point this article is trying to make. So do you consider locally grown meat and vegetables to be "crap food?"

Why spend more buying it from Whole Foods when I can purchase directly from the farmer? I have friends who raise cattle. I can split a butchering job with a friend and get a half of beef at a lot less than buying it from Whole Foods. That is what a chest freezer is for. Have my own garden (half acre) and do canning. It was the same way I was raised (mom fed six kids that way).

Frankly the yuppies think that they have discovered something new. But we rural folks have been living this way for generations.

BTW, I have a EE degree from Purdue and a Masters from George Mason.

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I know a lot of foodies and bikers. Not once have I heard any of them give a rats a** about what other people think of what they're doing. In fact, its quite the opposite. They are almost entirely focused on themselves...like a training athlete.

Well try getting around West Lafayette or Bloomington. The cyclists, like the one in SF, like to yell at those in cars, will hog the road by riding five across and love to tell everyone that they need to get rid of cars in favor of bikes and mass transit. There is a similar group here in Indy. The Star has articles, as does NUVO, about how superior cyclists are in comparison to the rest of us.

Lets see these idiots do some real work. Like baling hay for a summer. Or digging a ditch with pick and shovel.

Look I was a long distance runner for decades. Even now my colesterol count is 114 and BP is 118/66. And I did combat tour right before I turned 60. I know about the self disciplined lifestyle as I have lived it. It is part of being a conservative.

If anyone is fat, it is the lower class democrat voter.

Archaic_Entity

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Well try getting around West Lafayette or Bloomington. The cyclists, like the one in SF, like to yell at those in cars, will hog the road by riding five across and love to tell everyone that they need to get rid of cars in favor of bikes and mass transit. There is a similar group here in Indy. The Star has articles, as does NUVO, about how superior cyclists are in comparison to the rest of us.

Lets see these idiots do some real work. Like baling hay for a summer. Or digging a ditch with pick and shovel.

Look I was a long distance runner for decades. Even now my colesterol count is 114 and BP is 118/66. And I did combat tour right before I turned 60. I know about the self disciplined lifestyle as I have lived it. It is part of being a conservative.

If anyone is fat, it is the lower class democrat voter.

Without arguing your particular case, what makes you assume that these people don't know what "real work" feels like? I'm not arguing for them, but I will point out that the stereotypes come from both sides of the aisle. They assume you're some fat guy who wouldn't walk to his mailbox if he could get away with it, and you assume they're liberal freeloaders with a superiority issue.

Both sides of the aisle are fat, and it comes from how they were raised. If I was raised on KFC and McD's, then when it comes to how I eat as an adult, you can believe it probably isn't salads and baked fish. It comes from a willingness to eat healthy, not from your political agenda.

Top Bottom