Oh, man, I LOLd. That's great!

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    My son had a class even worse than just "new math". They had something like 5 different ways to multiply two numbers. He wasn't very good at math to start with, so I said "lets not add a layer of confusion" So I taught him how to do it the right way and told him to just get the right answer the right way. After a while they let up on them for the method most of the time. Sacrificing a few points here and there was better than trying to sit the poor kid down for a session of trying to teach him something I objected to. The money shows up in mathnausium (spelling intentional). We thought maybe they could help him with the math, and I asked the guy if the teaching could counteract the class, to which he replied that they're there to reinforce it. Hmm. If there hadn't been some crumb crunchers present, his vocabulary would have received an upgrade. Apparently they weasel this stupidity into schools in order to create a need for the mathnauseum. Heads up, this is called "Everyday Mathematics".

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    My son had a class even worse than just "new math". They had something like 5 different ways to multiply two numbers. He wasn't very good at math to start with, so I said "lets not add a layer of confusion" So I taught him how to do it the right way and told him to just get the right answer the right way. After a while they let up on them for the method most of the time. Sacrificing a few points here and there was better than trying to sit the poor kid down for a session of trying to teach him something I objected to. The money shows up in mathnausium (spelling intentional). We thought maybe they could help him with the math, and I asked the guy if the teaching could counteract the class, to which he replied that they're there to reinforce it. Hmm. If there hadn't been some crumb crunchers present, his vocabulary would have received an upgrade. Apparently they weasel this stupidity into schools in order to create a need for the mathnauseum. Heads up, this is called "Everyday Mathematics".

So is that the new, brilliant replacement for "Common Core"?

First Common Core High School Grads Worst-Prepared For College In 15 Years

GrinderCB

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2017
    Greendale

I've seen both male and female new shooters at gun ranges. Why is it that only the girls lean back instead of leaning forward or at least standing straight? My nephew and I went to a range once and he brought his girlfriend, who'd never shot before. Even after I instructed her to lean into the shot, toward the target, she still leaned back.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I've seen both male and female new shooters at gun ranges. Why is it that only the girls lean back instead of leaning forward or at least standing straight? My nephew and I went to a range once and he brought his girlfriend, who'd never shot before. Even after I instructed her to lean into the shot, toward the target, she still leaned back.

I've noticed the same thing. I think it has to do with physiology and instincts. It appears to be at least a little about balance. Men have more upper body strength. With a rifle, when you lean into it there's a lot more weight forward. Perhaps with males' upper body strength it's less noticeable. With females, it may be that the instinct is to lean back to balance the weight so that it's not so far forward. If it's about upper body strength, balance, and instinct, I wonder if a male with insufficient upper-body strength would instinctively do the same thing.

As an experiment, we could possibly get this guy to hold a rifle in a firing stance and see if zhe leans back too.

pajama-boy-screenshot.jpg

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I've noticed the same thing. I think it has to do with physiology and instincts. It appears to be at least a little about balance. Men have more upper body strength. With a rifle, when you lean into it there's a lot more weight forward. Perhaps with males' upper body strength it's less noticeable. With females, it may be that the instinct is to lean back to balance the weight so that it's not so far forward. If it's about upper body strength, balance, and instinct, I wonder if a male with insufficient upper-body strength would instinctively do the same thing.

As an experiment, we could possibly get this guy to hold a rifle in a firing stance and see if zhe leans back too.

pajama-boy-screenshot.jpg

I was thinking the same thing.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom