Not open for further replies.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Act my apologies for mis correcting your spelling queue was incorrect the proper word is cue, which you merely fat thumbed an extra e on.

I hate admitting when I am wrong.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    So what color is good?

500 different shades of grey.
    a few shades of white.
    Some greens.

Lighter shades tend to be preferred over darker shades.

Blues tend to cause more sleepiness, or inattention.
    Reds tend to increase the number of fights between crewmembers.
    a765f2f0f00e07cc65de2f388d3dacf8.1000x1000x1.jpg

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Nooo.

50 shades of grey. Kind of a dominatrix movie.

That's so grey.

There are at least 100 shades:
    https://www.december.com/html/spec/color0.html

Really depends on your bit depth, though.

I started printing in 1984, and i'm still in the industry, I cant tell you now many times ive had to ask "just what color blue?" I have a book that's 2.25 inches thick that shows almost every color of ink that's possible (both pre mixed, and mixable) and every color is listed 2 times, once on coated (glossy) and once on uncoated, and just about everybody picks a color that ends in "c" and tries to print in on a uncoated sheet of paper, and believe me, it looks different!, and that's not just from people off the street, people who should know better do it too!, and then they get upset that the red they picked, looks different when it was printed on a green sheet of paper! (even though I explained it when they placed the order!)

luckily for me (and my sanity) a few years ago, we made a switch in our focus, and now we print full color ad inserts only (so no picking paper or ink colors)

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Mine is always reflex blue on grey 60# linen.

I once had a printer, in Hammond, run 500 flyers. He ran them w/o washing out the black from the prior run.

I told him to trash them and do it right. He did.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Mine is always reflex blue on grey 60# linen.

I once had a printer, in Hammond, run 500 flyers. He ran them w/o washing out the black from the prior run.

I told him to trash them and do it right. He did.

3 stories jump to mind

1st, fresh out of high school (within my first year in the industry) we had a local car dealer want us to print the stickers that go on the back of a new car (before dealers started using plastic license plates) and they wanted white ink, on clear stickers, now washing up a press is time consuming because any color you don't get off will effect the other color, now you get some "flexibility" going from black to reflex blue, so you don't have to get all 100% of the black off, but if theres ANY speck of color when you go to white ink, all you get is a tinted white!, I spent 1/2 the day making sure every roller was clean, the ink tray was so clean you could eat off of!!!, and being that we were printing on a clear sticker that had a white backing, we had to peal off the sheet to check color and density...only to realize that we couldn't use that ink because it wouldn't dry on the nonporous plastic!

2nd we used to print "rainbow" colors on paper floormats for cars (like repair shops use) and desk pads, you you'd clean the press, and add red, blue, and yellow, they'd mix and you'd get 5 colors...for about 500 sheets!, then you had to wash the rollers, and start again, every 500 sheets you had to wash up, because all the ink would mix together, and youd get this nasty solid color all across the image area...we didn't offer "rainbow" ink for very long!

3rd we had a employee who liked to...um "partake of the herb", and every Thursday we printed a flyer for a local grocery store, orange ink on white paper...every week, 52 weeks a year, year in year out, orange on white...one day "smoky mcsmokeface" started out running orange...and during the run...started adding brown ink to the press...so sheet 1 was bright orange...and sheet 9000 was poop brown!... he boxed the job as he ran, so we didn't know till the store manager called asking what happened?...shortly after that, on a Friday, he left for lunch, and never came back...the reason, he quit to sell drugs...the night he quit was "Pablo Escobar's" first drug deal...to a...yep you guessed it...undercover police officer!

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    PMS specified colors that won't reproduce in a CMYK run is beyond the comprehension of most people.
    Then when you tell them to get their "correct" logo color it will require an additional spot color and cost run they look at you like you have 2 heads.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    PMS specified colors that won't reproduce in a CMYK run is beyond the comprehension of most people.
    Then when you tell them to get their "correct" logo color it will require an additional spot color and cost run they look at you like you have 2 heads.

in the course of 33 years at the same printshop we've been owned by 6 or 7 different companies (hell ive lost count!) and at 1 time we were owned by a newspaper corporation and their corporate logo was black and pms 286 blue, we printed the envelopes, letterhead and business cards for the "local" newspaper's and corporate sent a "specification" book to me, that had rules for signs, jackets pencils, and more

included in that were printing specifics (logo placement, type styles, paper types) and included was their custom full color "pms 286" built out of cmyk, their internal "graphic designers" could never understand that we couldn't use their "cmyk" built art to make 286, I cant tell you how many "conversations" ended with my head in my hands uttering the phrase "you mindless pancake!" (and even the marketing people couldn't understand it!)

but for the last 15 years, we've been basically a "internal" printshop, printing for a "select" few external customers, and newspaper inserts internally, it's gotten better and worse, everything designed by "corporate" is for the most part fine, but its when the end user designs the art is where most problem come from (all the newspaper does is forward the art) so we call the newspaper "salesman" and they call the end user to get things fixed.

as of today, the biggest issue is we use "corporate" design centers, of the 125 locations, there are 3 or 4 design centers, so location 1 might create something this time, and center 3 might design the next one, and with turnover in the industry, just about the time someone finally starts understanding...they quit or get laid off

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    The shop I have used most recently has certain days that they run certain colors, so when I needed a job in a maroon on grey linen I picked out the color on the chart and he gave me the price.

Since it was a color they did not use regularly it was a bit more pricey than my regular Reflex blue run.

He told me that they had a run every Thursday of a color that was only a few shades off and would cost about half of the bid.

ETA I should have just asked what the most popular maroon was in the first place.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom