• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stickfight

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Dountoun ND
    I read the Constitution and didn't find any mention of these procedural tricks Republicans are using to prevent ratified law from being enforced. I wish we could have politicians that respected the Constitution.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    O.P. Don't try to tell us that the left has never tried anything like this.
    It sucks when ANYONE circumvents the constitution, right, left, or independent.

Stickfight

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Dountoun ND
    After they re-wrote the law and called a penalty a tax & ignored that it didn't originate in the house.

Can you think of anything else that is unconstitutional that SCOTUS found constitutional, then reversed itself?

So what I know, from reading the Constitution, is that the judicial branch decides these things. Saw no mention of any INGO tribunal, or partisans on TV, or anything like that. Some people like to follow the Constitution when it suits them and ignore it when it doesn't, but I'm not among them.

Bummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    West side of Indy
    So what I know, from reading the Constitution, is that the judicial branch decides these things. Saw no mention of any INGO tribunal, or partisans on TV, or anything like that. Some people like to follow the Constitution when it suits them and ignore it when it doesn't, but I'm not among them.

Since you clearly have your copy of the Constitution handy, can you be so good as to tell me where the Federal Government is authorized to order any US Citizen to buy insurance? Then perhaps you could tell me where it says the Federal Government is authorized to use a tax to punish We The People for not complying. If these things exist they should be found in Article 1, Section 8, which spells out those things the Congress is authorized to do.

Thanks ever so much.

GunsNstuff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN

...and if the SCOTUS decides that killing rich people is Constitutional, or Slavery is pretty cool and totally Constitutional, does that make either of them Constitutional? No, it does not. SCOTUS does decide these things, but that does not mean everything they decide is correct or Constitutional.

The SCOTUS also decided that every time you exhale you're polluting the Earth and the Federal Government can regulate your breath. Constitutional? No, not at all.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    After they re-wrote the law and called a penalty a tax & ignored that it didn't originate in the house.

Can you think of anything else that is unconstitutional that SCOTUS found constitutional, then reversed itself?

Same courts? No. But future courts have certainly acknowledge errors of former courts.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County

Heh. Another one of these "it's constitutional because the supreme court says so". What a stupid argument.

The constitution, as it was written and intended, did not authorize the federal government to do 90% of the crap that it does. That is why I call it 'unconstitutional'.

If you define it differently, as in 'whatever the partisan judicial branch says', then fair enough. But let's not pretend that we are arguing on the same plane at all.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Heh. Another one of these "it's constitutional because the supreme court says so". What a stupid argument.

The constitution, as it was written and intended
    , did not authorize the federal government to do 90% of the crap that it does. That is why I call it 'unconstitutional'.

If you define it differently, as in 'whatever the partisan judicial branch says', then fair enough. But let's not pretend that we are arguing on the same plane at all.

I'm not sure I agree. If the Constitution was that black and white, there'd be no reason for the existence of the Supreme Court. The genius of the Constitution was that it's interepretation could grow with changing times. Nothing in the Constitution will ever be only "this way,"and "not another." That may trouble some, but at least the way our history has unfound since the very begining, that's simply the way it is.

Streak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Since you clearly have your copy of the Constitution handy, can you be so good as to tell me where the Federal Government is authorized to order any US Citizen to buy insurance? Then perhaps you could tell me where it says the Federal Government is authorized to use a tax to punish We The People for not complying. If these things exist they should be found in Article 1, Section 8, which spells out those things the Congress is authorized to do.

Thanks ever so much.

He may not, but the SCOTUS did and they supported the Individual Mandate. So You The Person has no right, at this point, to complain. The legal process is done and the Individual Mandate is Constitutional. Sorry.

Stickfight

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Dountoun ND

Thanks ever so much.

As soon as you show me where it says INGO partisans decide what is or is not Constitutional.

A whole wide variety of stuff has been found Constitutional over the years that isn't explicitly mentioned, as per the process described in the Cobstitution. Again, a lot of people only like the Constitution when it produces they outcome they want and I understand you guys, being self serving is hard to give up. But I prefer to follow it all the time.

Streak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013

The constitution, as it was written and intended, did not authorize the federal government to do 90% of the crap that it does. That is why I call it 'unconstitutional'.

So you don't care about the authority the Constitution gave the Judicial branch? I guess the Constitution is only valid if it results in things YOU believe in?

Top Bottom