The government is all up in my salad, nannying my sprouts.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    So who here on INGO grows their own sprouts? I've been looking into it. If you use beans, do you have to buy the ones for sprouting? i always have dried organic beans in the pantry and would like to just try some of those first. I have heard not to use kidney beans.

You can sprout darned near anything. Most "bean sprouts" are from mung beans (the Chinese style). I have not tried to sprout any other kind of beans, but I guess it's possible. Most folks use, as JetGirl stated, specific sprouting seeds. These are all tried and true and won't have chemicals added to them as coatings, as some seeds do. Seed mixtures are also available for spicy mixes (like radish and others). Get you a few Mason jars and some sprout lids and go for it! It's really pretty easy and oh, so yummy!

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Ok, sprouts are what grows into food. I think I ate sprouts this morning. Chicken sprouts and sausage.

Did I do it right?

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    You can sprout darned near anything. Most "bean sprouts" are from mung beans (the Chinese style). I have not tried to sprout any other kind of beans, but I guess it's possible. Most folks use, as JetGirl stated, specific sprouting seeds. These are all tried and true and won't have chemicals added to them as coatings, as some seeds do. Seed mixtures are also available for spicy mixes (like radish and others). Get you a few Mason jars and some sprout lids and go for it! It's really pretty easy and oh, so yummy!

i plan on trying some of the sprouting mixes, but does anyone know of a reason why i couldn't try something like organic dried beans, like the ones we eat, as long as i research and don't use a variety that would make me sick, like kidney beans? i'm just thinking i'd "practice" a couple of times to see how i like it.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    i plan on trying some of the sprouting mixes, but does anyone know of a reason why i couldn't try something like organic dried beans, like the ones we eat, as long as i research and don't use a variety that would make me sick, like kidney beans? i'm just thinking i'd "practice" a couple of times to see how i like it.

I'd say there's nothing stopping you. If they're sold as an eating bean, try it out. Just don't use seed stock. Too many of those have crap sprayed on them. Pea sprouts should be rather tasty, I've seen them on some restaurant menus. Corn sprouts, too. I'd think you'd have to keep a close eye on some of the beans, though. They may go from sprout to plant fairly quickly.

Top Bottom