• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    LET ME BE CLEAR (in my best Barack voice) I don't like law enforcement of the government in any respect using your own devices to track you.

My question is, what is the difference between them putting a GPS device on your car (as the original post said) and just a good old fashioned stakeout?

I'm just wondering.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Bunch of paranoid people. Obama cares for all of us and will make sure the government only uses this tool for good. Sheesh. Look at AG Holder's record, now that is a man we can all put our trust in. I think I can officially say, we have nothing to worry about. Move along now.... I said move along.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    LET ME BE CLEAR (in my best Barack voice) I don't like law enforcement of the government in any respect using your own devices to track you.

My question is, what is the difference between them putting a GPS device on your car (as the original post said) and just a good old fashioned stakeout?

I'm just wondering.

Manpower and data mining.

The "end game" as I see it for tracking movement, is to create a database, and then analyze it for "suspicious" patterns, and arrest you based solely on where you've been (don't worry, they'll make a law saying it's ok to do that, it's for safety and all so it's ok, because who's against safety?!)

For instance, if you were seen to spend quite a bit of time at gun shops, attending "anti-government" rallies, meeting up with similar folks, and posting on a gun website, you're obviously a threat to society and Uncle Sugar will be there momentarily to "re-eduate" you.

Obviously that's a pretty far out there tin-hatter kind of theory, but why else would you want to know where someone is 24/7 without a warrant? The very idea implies that you want to know where someone has been who isn't even a suspect.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    All you have to do is turn it off. I've done it on my phone.

Turning OFF the phone is NOT enough. As the phone is still "on" just like any other "power" device. You have to TAKE THE BATTERY OUT so that the device does not have a power source to ensure it can not be used.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

I'm just wondering.

ATOMonkey has given the "future long term answer" even if some of you may think it's the tin-foil one.

Re-focusing on the case above the issue here is one of privacy. The homeowner is under the assumption that his driveway is private property and as such "off limits" to the police unless they have a warrant.

When doing a stakeout the police are on "public property" and can only "see" into the private property but they can not STEP onto it. In this case the homeowner's car was on the driveway doing nothing ILLEAGL so the police without a warrant cannot walk onto the property and put a tracker without a warrant on the car. Now if the car was on the street parked the police could add the GPS device since that is not private property and anything goes.

Consider if the car was in the garage. Would the police be able to break into teh garage and plant the bug? Nope. Same concept with the drive way which is private property even though you can clearly see the car.

---
    NWI INGO MEMBERS
    Get the latest news by joining the NWI INGO group here:
    INGunOwners - Northwest Indiana

The next MEET & EAT is on 28 AUG 10 (sign up!)
    See here for more info:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ngo_meet_and_eat_oc_cc_-_sat_28_aug_10_a.html

The next MEET & SHOOT is on 18 SEP 10 (sign up!)
    See here for more info:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo..._ingo_meet_and_shoot_-_sat_18_sep_2010_a.html

Appleseed for NWI
    Need help on finding a location see here for more info:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...d_for_nwi_lake_porter_county.html#post1216426

Ranges in NWI
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break_room/106004-nwi_ingo_general_post-3.html#post1252132

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010

I didn't quote it as authoritative. The website to which I quoted contains empirical facts that you can verify yourself. I didn't quote it for their opinion. I linked to it so you can look at the number of cases SCOTUS has heard that came from the 9th Circuit, and how many were overturned.

If you'd like to refute my point, my suggestion is that you show that the facts in what I linked to are incorrect. I also suggest that you don't waste your time. The notion that the 9th Circuit, whose Chief Judge is one of the most conservative on the federal bench, is some progressive rogue court that is more likely to be overturned than the other circuits is not supported by the empirical facts. If you have evidence of anything else, I'm all ears

Turning OFF the phone is NOT enough. As the phone is still "on" just like any other "power" device. You have to TAKE THE BATTERY OUT so that the device does not have a power source to ensure it can not be used.

I didn't say turn off the phone. There is a setting, at least in my phone, that shuts off the power to the GPS unit. One could still use the unique electronic identifier to see what towers your phone has hit, but once you turn the GPS' power off, I'm pretty sure that it won't take any action.

That's not saying that it couldn't be activated remotely, or even in the background. I'm not familiar enough with phone software to say.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    maybe i will attach one to a cop car and see how they like it? Im sure if i attached enough that I eventualy would catch one of them doing something wrong. would it be admissable???

the govt needs to be put back in its place. will the supreme court do it?? who knows

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    I didn't say turn off the phone. There is a setting, at least in my phone, that shuts off the power to the GPS unit. One could still use the unique electronic identifier to see what towers your phone has hit, but once you turn the GPS' power off, I'm pretty sure that it won't take any action.

That's not saying that it couldn't be activated remotely, or even in the background. I'm not familiar enough with phone software to say.

you dont even need to turn it off or take out the battery. throw your phone in a foil mylar bag and talk away. no signal is getting in, and none is getting out. safe room.

you all can try it for yourselves. take your cell and throw it in a foil chip bag and roll up the top of the bag. now call your phone and .......... WHAHAHAHAHA it doesnt work, amazing, magic.

theres always a way to beat technology. I hate technology. I hope all this electronic mumbo jumbo goes away

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    you dont even need to turn it off or take out the battery. throw your phone in a foil mylar bag and talk away. no signal is getting in, and none is getting out. safe room.

you all can try it for yourselves. take your cell and throw it in a foil chip bag and roll up the top of the bag. now call your phone and .......... WHAHAHAHAHA it doesnt work, amazing, magic.

theres always a way to beat technology. I hate technology. I hope all this electronic mumbo jumbo goes away

downzero this method above also will work.
    Basically all our cellphones are always "on" even when you power them down (ie turn off). As long as the cellphone is connected to it's power supply (battery or wall charger) the device is "on" from an electrical current point of view. If "on" in this way remotely the phone can be turned on or parts of it can be made to work (ie. tracking it's geo-location by which cell towers it's talking to, turning on the mic on the cellphone even if the phone is OFF.

Thus the only way to ensure that the phone is DEAD is to remove the battery so no "electrical current" is avaliable to the phone or as Ranger advised "jailing" the phone so that it can NOT communicate with any cellphone tower and thus while it's on (ie has electrical current) it's in jail since it can not get a signal in/out.

The taking the battery out is "safer" IMO since inside the static bag you still run the risk of it falling out of the bag. But either method will work to keep the phone off the grid. the only better method is NO PHONE AT ALL.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Bunch of paranoid people. Obama cares for all of us and will make sure the government only uses this tool for good. Sheesh. Look at AG Holder's record, now that is a man we can all put our trust in. I think I can officially say, we have nothing to worry about. Move along now.... I said move along.

Add the previous administration to the list as well seeing as this went down in 2007!

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Didn't read all the threads, but this has already been to the courts an the courts ruled it is ok for the police to do this. They judged this by what the current law allows an it allows this. The law will have to be changed before the courts would rule against it.

POC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 17, 2010
    West Baden, IN
    Didn't read all the threads, but this has already been to the courts an the courts ruled it is ok for the police to do this. They judged this by what the current law allows an it allows this. The law will have to be changed before the courts would rule against it.
    Try reading the whole thing.....:rolleyes:

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Reynolds must be having a banner year!

I have GPS enabled on my phone 24/7 and I also have OnStar in my car and love it! I could care less who knows where I'm at any given time of the day. Last time I looked my mug wasn't on display at the post office or police station and I seriously doubt the FBI is interested in a 55 year old gravedigging grandpa!

Reality check people. Unless you've done something really bad or are planning on doing something really bad, the Govt could care less about YOU!

:)

Last edited:

WWIIIDefender

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Saudi Arabia
    Top Bottom