• ...and so much more!
  • zebov

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    Got an idea for an event. Need some feedback to see if there's interest:

It seems that the best advice for someone looking to purchase their first (second? third? twentieth?) handgun is for them to "try out as many as you can and then decide." The trouble is, this is much easier said than done, especially for someone who does not already own a handgun or have "connections" with others who do. They can go to a gun shop a hold some and even dry-fire them, but that, in my opinion, doesn't really help as much as we would think it should. To really know what you want, especially if it's your first gun, you really need to give it a real go at the range. Thus my idea...

I'm interested in organizing what I'll dub the Great American Handgun Try-before-you-buy. Basically it would be a get-together of as many people as possible bringing their arsenal of handguns to the range one day and inviting those who are looking to buy so they can try them out. It would be organized to directly address the concerns of first-time handgun purchasers:
    1) a safety lesson
    2) brief overview of types of handguns, their advantages/disadvantages, etc. (basically a show-and-tell for us to talk about what each of us carry and why)
    3) range time where they can try:
    a) different calibers (as this ALWAYS is a question for first-timers, and if its not it should be)
    b) different types (DA/SA, single action only, revolver, semi-auto, etc.)
    4) holsters!
    5) whatever else people can think of that would be pertinent

It'd be great if this could be an almost-free event (like they don't have to pay for anything except ammo or something like that). If we could get rid of the expense of trying out a bazillion guns, then maybe people would and it would help them make a more-educated decision.

So, what do you guys think? Would anyone be interested in helping plan this or is this just not a good idea (or something that is already done, etc.) I'm in the Lafayette area and think it would go over quite well here. Feedback?

1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    I think it's a good idea and would be willing to bring my handguns for others to try out..........keep me posted if it turns into a real event

infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I'm sure I don't have any handguns nobody else on here has, but I'd be glad to let people shoot them. There's a few I'd like to shoot as well.

Six Forty-Two

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    W. Lafayette
    Sounds like a good idea to me. I would be interested in participating if it is in the Lafayette vicinity.

I'm sure something like this has been done before. Maybe someone can give you suggestions on how to get the event organized.

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    Im in once I get back to IN. I can bring my assortment of S&W handguns. I would probely request specific ammo be shot through some of my guns. As long as everyone can keep it professional and it doesn't turn into a giant peeing match over whos gun is better I think this is a great idea.

malachi_s

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 30, 2010
    North Central Indian
    I think it is a wonderful idea. I am not selling at the moment but someone could try my M&P40, SP101 or my LCP to see if it would be something they were interested in. Also, I would like to try a few 9's, looking to find the right one for me. Cool idea, let me know if this comes together.

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    Zzzzzzzz

This is not how you do it.

THe whole point of the interweb is to tell everyone that asks for advice how wise your selection was. Further trial or discussion is. Pointless because you have already found the perfect weapon for everyone. Anyone that doesn't agree the 40 watt plasma hand grenade perfection is not the final solution is a troll and should be banned promptly after flaming and negative repping dissenting to oblivion.

Er ummm you could try your idea with a small ammo contribution or coin for each shooter.
    Call out all the major players in the industry of the gun community asking for sales reps and demos. Film it and allow the sponsors to use the results for advertising or market study.

An interesting idea as small or as big as you can make it.

Goodluck. I am sure with the right pitch you could get at least one mfg to sponsor the event.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    If this materializes, I would be interested, I could bring about 7 handguns, and some ammo, and would like to try other handguns, that I have never shot before... a Sunday afternoon, would be perfect for me....

abrumlev

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    NE Indy
    I'd be willing to come and shoot all of your guns!:evilangel:

Contacting some Indiana gun shops or even some manufacturers would be a great idea. If any help is needed doing that I'd love to help.

feriil

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    West Lafayette, IN
    I've only got one handgun and am in the market for my 2nd. I'd love to attend if it's with reasonable distance of Lafayette as well.

Really would love to handle a CZ 75B, Beretta 92 FS, Kel-Tec PF9, and any Khar 9mm.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    This sounds like a great event, albeit a large one that would require some serious planning to keep things safe.

You will need a range that can accommodate pistol calibers. You will need enough space to accommodate several shooters on the line, as well space for folks not immediately shooting. In the Indy area, ECPR and MCFG come first to mind.

I would recommend at least one range safety officer to oversee the overall safety, with the owners acting as ROs of their own guns.

Logistics of who shoots what and when could get interesting.

Since venue is your first hurdle, I'd contact sjstill at ECPR or VUPDblue at MCFG.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    In the Indy area, ECPR and MCFG come first to mind.

Might also be a nice event to launch Beech Grove Firearms' new range.

Logistics of who shoots what and when could get interesting.

To say the least! Loosely following the NFA Day organization model might not be a bad idea. Compile a list of available guns/calibers beforehand; that way you can avoid duplicates, and participants can bring their own ammo for the guns they wish to shoot. If the interest level is WAY high, you could separate the day into blocks for certain calibers (.380 and smaller, 9mm/.38/.357/.40, and .45/10mm/.44Mag/etc).

Last edited:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I'd be willing to participate, too. I don't have anything uncommon, though.

The un-commonest things I have are a Steyr M9-A1, BHP, and CZ-75B

zebov

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    Excellent. So it sounds like there is some interest in this. As everyone has mentioned, logistics will be the largest issue. Anyone interested in assisting with this, please PM me.

Since it seems I'll be spearheading (unless someone else really has the desire?), I'll probably first try to host in in the Lafayette area since that's where I am. If it goes over well here, then we can do it again later in Indy or "export" the lessons learned to southern Indiana.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ljmiddleton3
    Top Bottom