The Great FFL Transfer Fiasco of 2014. (Details still unfolding)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • arthrimus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Carmel
    The (Not so) Great Firearm Shipment Snafu of 2014 (Update: It's all good!)

UPDATE: They accepted the package today and I picked up the gun earlier tonight. As it turns out they only have people at the shop during the day Wednesday-Friday, so it just needed to be redelivered this morning.

It all started last week when I happened upon a deal online. It was a police trade in Sig P229 in .40 S&W, claiming to be in very good condition, and listed at a reasonable price. Needless to say I jumped on the deal.

Now I am not new to the online firearm buying game. I have bought quite a few firearms from quite a few sellers, and had them shipped to a couple of local FFL holders without a hitch. This time however, I decided to try a new FFL that I have not previously dealt with. They have a reasonable transfer fee, they are close to where I live, and the best part for me is their hours, or so I thought. See they are open from 6pm to 9pm M-F which happens to work great for me since I get off of work around 7:30pm M-F.

All was going well, my fedex tracking number showed my p229 sailing along to my dealer without a hitch, until this morning. To my horror I found that a delivery attempt had been made at 11:00am and failed. They said that they would reattempt delivery tomorrow, but that's obviously not going to succeed either because they are not open this early. I called FedEx to discuss scheduling the delivery after 6:00pm, and the person on the phone said that this was not an option. I asked why, as I have received many deliveries from FedEx past 6:00 and he said that business delivery cannot happen that late in the day.

He suggested that I pick up the package at the local FedEx distribution center, and I proceeded to explain to him that it would be illegal for me to do that. He then suggested that the FFL dealer drive to the FedEx distribution center and pick it up, something that I do not expect to happen, and frankly that I wouldn't even ask him to do for a measly $20 transfer fee.

He then told me that the only other option would be for my FFL to arrange for a courier to pick it up from FedEx and deliver it to his business, an option that will surely cost me extra money that I'd rather not spend.

I have yet to speak to the FFL since he is not open yet, but I'm honestly at a loss as to what to do about this. When I talked to him last week before purchasing the firearm, he said they receive firearms for transfers every day, and I'm curious how everybody else is working around his limited hours.

Anybody have any ideas on how to solve this dilemma?

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I can only say that I know the late hour delivery is not an option. Must not be common knowledge.
    The driver will attempt a drop when he is is in that area. If it is around 11:00 when his route goes through there then that is when he will stop by.

Luck to you in this one.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    I'm not sure on that one...I worked with a fed ex driver and he could schedule his deliveries whenever customers needed them. If a business opened late: he had to stick around and make the delivery. It made for some long days. I might have a chat with him and see what he says.

which Fed Ex version is it? Ground, express, home delivery?

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    A good friend has a FFL and deals with customers on a limited basis as this is a second income for him. He does a lot of transfers (preferred FFL for Bud's Gun Store). He stops at UPS and Fed Ex every afternoon after work to pick up and ship firearms. All his deliveries are held at the terminals for his pickup. That may be the case in your shipment and yours slipped by the terminal hold. Good Luck!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    A good friend has a FFL and deals with customers on a limited basis as this is a second income for him. He does a lot of transfers (preferred FFL for Bud's Gun Store). He stops at UPS and Fed Ex every afternoon after work to pick up and ship firearms. All his deliveries are held at the terminals for his pickup. That may be the case in your shipment and yours slipped by the terminal hold. Good Luck!

That may also be something he arranged personally. To me this sounds like the driver (who is often a contractor) doesn't want to stick around that late and willing to take a hit to his delivery percentages to make it happen. Like I said, I'll talk with a former fed ex contractor friend of mine to see what his input is.

Redtbird

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Monroe County
    Could you have FedEx ship it back to the seller, and have him send it to a different FFL that is open in better, for you, hours? I realize there would likely be more shipping costs, but at least you would receive the gun.

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    Another example of why I despise Fedex.

This same exact thing happens with UPS, and it's even worse because they are not open on Saturdays, and will not forward packages. We deal with this all the time but only if sellers/shippers can't follow simple instructions. The store owner can pick the item up at FEDEX after a certain time. It's not too difficult to do, but you do have to drive over there. They are open until 9:00PM.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    That's why when I had my FFL I asked things be sent via USPS, because their office is right around the corner. If I missed the delivery I just waited until after 4 and would go pick it up. UPS and fedex are much much farther away than the local post office.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Could you have FedEx ship it back to the seller, and have him send it to a different FFL that is open in better, for you, hours? I realize there would likely be more shipping costs, but at least you would receive the gun.

Would it necessarily have to go all the way back to the seller? Or could the OP (or possibly the original receiving FFL) request a change in the delivery address to a different FFL?

PeaShooter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Would it necessarily have to go all the way back to the seller? Or could the OP (or possibly the original receiving FFL) request a change in the delivery address to a different FFL?

I would guess that it would have to go all the way back. he had to send a copy of their ffl information for them to ship to them. doubtful they will reassign ffl's over the phone

Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City
    I know this seems way out there but why don't you got to the LGS and explain your situation and see if he will pick it up for you.
    If he is a nice guy he will probably swing by and make a customer happy.
    If he is an ok guy he will charge you an extra $20 but hey at least you have your gun.
    If he is a jerk... Well then good luck.

upchurch67

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Your LGS can designate you as their courier. Then you can pick up the gun and transport to their shop to process the transfer.

Top Bottom