• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kennedy759

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2014
    New Salisbury Ind
    We have about 50 chickens so we have to deal with rats, but not like today. The lady next door decided to clean out her horse barn with a bobcat. we check out her work when the wife screams RATS, they were everywhere, dogs treed a bunch up some pine tress, and were piled up along the fence line. Any way ran to house, hs 001.JPG hs 002.JPG got my go to rat gun, High Standard 9 shot rev and a box of Federal .22 rat shot. Out of 44rds fired, got 40 rats. Had the HS since I was 18, still going strong 50 years later

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    We have about 50 chickens so we have to deal with rats, but not like today. The lady next door decided to clean out her horse barn with a bobcat. we check out her work when the wife screams RATS, they were everywhere, dogs treed a bunch up some pine tress, and were piled up along the fence line. Any way ran to house, View attachment 185320 View attachment 185321 got my go to rat gun, High Standard 9 shot rev and a box of Federal .22 rat shot. Out of 44rds fired, got 40 rats. Had the HS since I was 18, still going strong 50 years later
    Sounds like you have work left to do.
    4 shots fired without hits.
    Does that mean there are still 4 around somewhere?
    Better be quick.
    You know they breed like...

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Most shot were at 5 ft some out to ten, I waited till they stood still, the missed shots was of the old mama on the run, may have nicked her. Shooting them out of the trees was easy, got 2 with one shot. lt was a blast, the wife would herd them towards me, laughing all the way
    DoggyMama wouldn't have been anywhere near me if there were rats around. Mice, rats, chipmunks(!)... all terrify her. :rolleyes:

BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    We have about 50 ducks/chickens and of course their coops support a population of rats.
    Any suggestions on getting them to pose for a shot in daylight? Right now we rarely see them and I use traps.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Neighbors had chickens and one has an elevated kennel to breed dogs.
    So yes we often had rats running the fence line as another neighbor (section 8 Ferrell humans) threw all their trash bags in a shed at the top of the drive way. To ****ing lazy to take it to the curb. So yes the rats had a field day.
    Pellet rifle zeroed from my deck to the fence line. Put some Jiffy crunch on a paper plate where they run and it was EzPZ to pick them off.
    Board of health finally grew some balls and made chicken man clean up his mess and the dog breeder pulled up the kennel. We shot at least 10 more and not seen a rat since.
    I hate them.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I have a min pin dog who loves to hunt rats.
    Other breeds are better. You Tube used to have videos of true rat dogs doing what they were breed to do. Watching those is entertaining but I watch them years ago so some may have call for them to be removed.

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Most shot were at 5 ft some out to ten, I waited till they stood still, the missed shots was of the old mama on the run, may have nicked her. Shooting them out of the trees was easy, got 2 with one shot. lt was a blast, the wife would herd them towards me, laughing all the way
    Good shooting for #12 shot out of a handgun! I do believe it was a blastin', hootin', yeehaw fun time.

I have and old, old garden gun, no rifling at all, and it can take chipmunks out to ~25yds. Never had to deal with rats, tho.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Dang, I thought this was about DC...

charlie-brown-christmas-charlie-brown.gif

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Chootin 'em is fun, but I used to employ a similar tactic to this with a pair of Jack Russells. I found it to be more entertaining...

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    We have four cats that take care of rats, mice, moles on occasion, and chipmunks. Unfortunately they like to kill birds so it's a delicate balance. They sleep on my parents pouch. At night they come up around my place driving my dog insane.
    My dog takes care of the raccoon, opossum, fox, coyote threat. I help her when it comes to coyotes I don't allow her to be lured away for a coyote gang to kill and eat her. She can handle two coyotes by herself but 3+ is too much.

Top Bottom