• KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Sliding glass doors: not sure how easy or hard they are to pry open, but a large dowel rod in the track will keep anyone wider than the cat from entering without making a lot of noise. Door chimes are part of the security system, we have the $6 magnet separation siren things on the widows. 120 decibels will get your attention.

RugerRog

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Indy
    Are the criminals getting more brazen, desperate, and violent in their attempts to steal. Now they are breaking in when the home owners are home. I thought it was low when the one group raped the mom and daughter. geez what scum.

Thanks for the tips guys.

Small's

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    south of Indy
    The good thing is that most thieves arent very intelligent. The harder you make it for them the less likely they are to steal. They steal because they are lazy and dont want to work. Bolt your gun safe to the floor with anchor bolts and try to put it somewhere where you cant pry it with a crow bar. I have a chamberlin motion detector alarm with 4 outside sensors. Walk past a sensor outside and a little box in the house beeps. Each sensors beaps a different amount of times so you know which one was tripped. It gives you a heads up if someone pulls up in the drive or walks around the house. Nothing like waiting for some crackhead to come through your door. Also have an alarm inside with IR motion detectors. If someone comes in when your gone you have an inside siren and a big outside siren to alert everyone within half a mile. In Morgan county if its not bolted to the concrete it aint stealing.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I installed one of these Home Door Security | Door Devil™ on each of my entry doors. A rep from the company had been setting up at the 1500, that is where I bought mine for $60 per kit.
    Well worth the money, and easy to install, I do have somewhat of a mechanical background, but you really don't need one. The instructions are well written and easy to follow.

THIS is outstanding. I completely get the engineering behind it and believe the inventor deserves to become a millionaire for coming up with the idea. (Really, no purple). The way it displaces the energy will defeat the random attempt to kick in a door. I'll take two, thank you.

Tried to rep you Gunner but apparently I've done it recently. So +1 to you sir.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Sliding glass doors: not sure how easy or hard they are to pry open, but a large dowel rod in the track will keep anyone wider than the cat from entering without making a lot of noise. Door chimes are part of the security system, we have the $6 magnet separation siren things on the widows. 120 decibels will get your attention.

These are a problem. Years ago in my last house I had a dowel rod in mine so the bad guys just kept prying the top part of the door until they kicked it off the tracks and gained entry. It was replaced with a Pella French Door with locking bolts at the top and bottom. I would recommend a rod at the top and the bottom of a slider so no matter how much they pry (with a crowbar) the slider doesn't give.

h20addict3231

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    A lot of great comments on here as "how to". I have a military back ground, defense works in levels. static lights, motion lights, dogs, locks and deadbolts. Jam bars in windows, and sliding doors. Locks on gates, camera system, alarm systems with warning decals and signs. Also being armed, if you have to go get it you can bet a intruder wont wait.. Here's a great site I've used, quick turn around and track your order. Home Security Burglar Alarms, DIY Home Security

sinnful

Plinker
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 18, 2012
    Knox
    I am a farmer and live out in the middle of nowhere. No problems with theft ever. But we are the crazy gun people according to everyone around here. So that is our saving grace.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    I believe that no home is invasion proof, but if you're in it, there are things that will buy you time to properly respond.

In my case, here is the hierarchy of security:

1. Dog barking
    Wake up, be ready to get gun
    2. Kicking metal side door
    Get gun, move into position
    3. Glass storm door on front door is broken or pried open
    Wake up, get gun, move into position
    4. Font door is kicked open
    Already in position to respond

All the above is the worse case scenario...when we are all asleep. When we are awake, I am armed.

Possible loss of reaction time could result if:
    1. The perp uses a bump key on the metal side door and is in the door after his first bump.
    2. The perp slowly and quietly prys the front storm door open without breaking the glass, then uses a bump or kicks in the door.

beachhead40

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 30, 2012
    North Of Indy
    Last edited:

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Near my home, 3 houses have their yard lamp burned out. Well, I'm guessing their photo sensor is bad, I replaced ours when we first bought the place. 1 keeps zero outside lights on, and my from porch has a security camera staring at you. Guess who will not be targeted? Keep your yard bright and bushes near windows low! Last white van I saw unmarked on our street saw me open carrying checking my mail. No victims here!

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Our neighborhood watch has a program called "Put A Light On Crime" The majority of all the houses in the subdivision have lights on. I have light on all four corners that are motion sensor floods. They come on at 20% at dusk and full power when motion is detected. I also agree with locking the storm door as a deterent.

Last edited:

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    Our neighborhood watch has a program called "Put A Light On Crime" The majority of all the houses in the subdivision have lights on. I have light on all four corners that are motion sensor floods. They come on at 20% at dusk and full power when lotion is detected. I also agree with locking the storm door as a deterent.

It rubs the lotion on it's skin :)

Sorry for the comedy...

Yes, if my storm door isn't locked, then I've essentially given up time bought in an invasion.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Near my home, 3 houses have their yard lamp burned out. Well, I'm guessing their photo sensor is bad, I replaced ours when we first bought the place. 1 keeps zero outside lights on, and my from porch has a security camera staring at you. Guess who will not be targeted? Keep your yard bright and bushes near windows low! Last white van I saw unmarked on our street saw me open carrying checking my mail. No victims here!

I know most people are a keep to themselves types but you might have a talk with the neighbors and see if you can assist them in lighting up the area. It's kind of like helping your neighbor trap the moles before the travel to your yard.

My neighbor would call if I left my garage door open after dark. They have moved and the house is vacant so I'm thinking about adding a sensor to alert me.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    View attachment 23056 Caucasian Mountian Sheperds, only dog in the world with a stopping power of a .45 !

Caucasian Ovcharka Greets 1st Time Visitors - YouTube Dog is from 120 to 200 pounds and Loves its family and has been shown to fight a pack of wolves ( and kill multiple) Caucasian Mountain dog * Shepard* I really want a dog like this * 2 breeders in the US

I didn't realize some one beat me to the punch ( Love this Dog )

Caucasian shepherd attack his trainer - YouTube
    I'll bet they shed like a mother ^%*&^ too.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    My wife and I sleep behind a dead-bolted 1 3/4" bedroom door with a metal u-plate abound the door hardware. The catch plate in the frame has 3" deck screws going into the 2x4. Our outside doors are always locked, at all times, even when I'm out in the yard cutting grass and my wife is doing house work. (She had an uncle who lived in town who had some thieves come in through the front door and steal jewelry while he and his wife were relaxing in the back yard.)

When we come home from any trip away from the house we can see the green light for the alarm system on in the garage. But that doesn't mean the house is safe. The windows aren't alarmed. I NEVER enter without my pistol on my hip with my hand on it. After I unlock the door I push it open quickly and hard. If it hits something the gun will come out and we will back off. If I have groceries or luggage to carry they can wait until I open the door and check the main floor doors and make sure the basement door is still locked. I'll never forget the Gilligan family massacre in Evansville in 1980. That is on my mind every time I walk in.

I used to leave my front porch light on every night until I read about a school corporation somewhere that turned most of their outside lighting off. It cut vandalism by a huge percentage because momma's little boys couldn't see in the dark.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...maybe motion detectors.

Keep stuff up tight and out of sight (put your stuff up). The good burglars scout.

Get to know your neighbors. Interlocking field of fire and view.

Definitely motion detectors, on front, back, corners, sides. Cameras will assist after the fact and alert to those trying to case you.

Not enough said about not advertising your stuff;
    Shut your blinds!
    CLOSE your garage door!
    Let traffic pass before OCing long cases or guns in and out. The same with other high $ stuff.
    Xmas is coming! Mind your trash. Expensive electronics, firearms/safe boxes on the curb read "come steal me."
    Only hire well vetted INGO contractors to enter your property.
    Don't allow the kids to bring friends over.
    "Loose lips sink ships" Be mindful of your pictures and words posted on the Interweb...

Top Bottom