• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sterling

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Jamestown, IN
    I've been asked to write an article on the "Ideal Reloading Room". Give me your thoughts and pictures, if you have some.

Last edited:

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    To me an "ideal reloading room" would be in a cool dry basement so powder and primer storage wouldnt be an issue. Also lots of cabinets for storage. A couple medium sized benches so you can have one section set up for each kind of reloading you are doing. Over head shelf. Also plenty of light over head. I dont have everything i want or even pictures of what i have now.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Dehumidifyer...

Anti-static floormats / table mats...

bright lighting that doesn't cause headaches...

Internet connectivity - for when you need to look something up (via whatever device you want)

Stable / clean power that won't bugger electric/electronic scales.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    The one where I walk in and tell
    hal-400.jpg

I want 100 rounds of .45 APC loaded with Win 231 5.1 gr, Hornady FMJ 230 gr RN bullets on Federal brass cases with OAL = .... and 100 rounds of 9mm at... and low and behold a few seconds later they ammo appears from behind a little door, ready to go!

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    A dedicated space, with ample room and lighting. Climate-controlled for year 'round reloading fun and long-term storage of components. My ideal reloading space would actually include all-things gun, like my safe and a cleaning station. In a perfect world, this would be just a short walk away from a private 300 yard range, with targets at various distances and a little shelter where I can set up a chronograph.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    My ideal reloading room is in a cool, dry, walkout basement. It has dedicated space for each of the most common operations, and a common space for lesser operations, and general "tinkering". The walkout basement opens up to a patio fully outfitted with a nice shade structure and shooting benches for my backyard range, that ideally stretches out to 1000 yards. This way I can load, I can shoot, I can do load development, and it doesn't involve any driving to any special locations. I can shoot a test group, then refine it and try again.

As for the contents of the ideal shooting range, obviously there is going to be a budget involved, so buy quality equipment that your budget allows. Obviously if you're at the point of making your ideal reloading room your budget is a bit larger than most, and therefore you should be able to buy sufficient quality equipment to load accurately, comfortably, without involving too much labor per round.

All of this is very subjective though. For me, my ideal setup definitely includes some single-stage presses for loading precision rounds, but also includes some progressives for loading up plinking rounds, handgun rounds etc.

A good setup can't be without a good "slop sink" nearby for cleanup. I think a good reloading room also doubles as a "man-cave" so I have to have a fridge with beer, a couch, and a tv. I'll let each person's individual judgement determine if you want to partake in the beer & tv while in the act of reloading. I won't judge you (like some here would do) for what you choose, only you know what your abilities are and what risks you're willing to take.

Sorry, got a bit "long-winded" there. Someday I hope to have my ideal reloading room, but until then the one I have works just fine.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Don't forget control over static electricity, a sliding guard between you and the loader, proper storage of powder so you don't blow up or burn the building down.

A quality chair or sit-stool, separate room for the tumbler and media, good lighting, and comfortable handles to pull or cycle the machine.

ARGarrison

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Indiana, of course
    My ideal reloading room would be a dedicated room used just for reloading. There would be tables/workbenches on all four walls. Wall one would be brass prep and have trimmers and the like. There would be a shop vac under that bench to clean up trimmings or hook right into a trimmer like the one mad by Dillon. There would also be a 5 gallon bucket for scrap brass. The reaming area under that bench would be brass storage.

Table two would be my metallic reloading bench. I’d have at least one progressive press and a single stage for load work up and small batches of ammunition. The third bench would be for shot shell reloading. Under it would be storage for hulls and lead shot. Above the first three tables would be cabinets for dies, tool heads, and bulk bullet storage as well as reloading books.

Table four would hold the tumbler and media sorting spinner. Under that table would be powder and primer storage.

One good chair would then work for all stations. Make sure you have plenty of light.

Top Bottom