The "I'm not frugal, I'm cheap. " thread...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brentlacy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2018
    Rockville
    I generally buy new and drive them long term. I don't negotiate. I send out bid requests to every dealer in 150 mile radius. Almost every dealer has a Internet Sales office now. I send out the exact vehicle and options I want and request a bid. Those who respond get told what the lowest bid one and that I'm doing one more round, best offer OTD without sales tax (which lets me compare Kentucky dealers) gets my business. I use the manufacturer's website, TrueCar, and Edmunds to make sure I know about all of the rebates I'm eligible for. I bought my truck new in 2012 that way and was only a few thousand over the cost of a comparable 2 year old used truck. I bought my wife's car in a similar way, but leased it for the extra incentives on leasing. At 13 months, I bought out the lease. That saved a touch over $1k over just paying cash up front.

Some vehicle types it makes sense to buy used (luxury cars, for example) but others as long as you intend to drive them for 10y + and you buy right new can be the way to go (more basic pickup trucks).

On a more routine basis, Amazon has an app for your phone that lets you scan the bar code of an item in a store and automatically price compare. I buy most of my "stuff" online anyway, easy price comparison and limited impulse purchases, but when I buy something in person of any consequence I price compare and then the store will match it. Best Buy, Lowe's, etc. will price match.

I buy most of my clothes on ebay or Amazon. Lots of new with or without tags for half or less what they retail for. Pants I generally have to try on, so I price match like above at a retail store. Suits, ebay. I wear suits to work that are $600-$2,500 retail (Hickey Freeman, Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece, etc) and never have more than $150 in a given suit. I know my measurements, so I can buy online and then take it to a seamstress to have it altered as needed.

Firearms related, reloading saves money if you shoot expensive cartridges. You won't save a lot loading 9mm, if any. Loading .45 Colt? Way cheaper.

No cable tv. I don't get a bill and I see fewer commercials to tempt me to buy stuff I don't need.

Agree on the cable TV . Ota antenna plus prime video works great.
    I'll lay out my car buying strategy in a separate post.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Tagging for later....We do so many things that save us money but I don't have time right now to fully respond. :rockwoot:

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Sams Visa 5%/3%/1% back on different categories.

Try to stay out of gun and knife stores and the classifieds.

Been wearing Wrangler Riggs workwear Ranger pants exclusively for a couple of years now. When I wear pants. I like them so well that I'll pay full price, but I'm always lookin for the sale.

Buy used cars/ trucks and drive 'em as long as possible.

Snap had some good tips in gonna try. Thanks.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    I stuff my Holsters with wadded up paper so I can regulate them for other guns. One holster, 10 Guns.
    Stormy? Is that you?:D

Rainchecks are a huge way to save a bunch. Kroger will normally honor theirs well after the written time limitation. Meijer is stricter about the time limitation, but if you are polite at the customer service counter they will often write a rain check on stuff they appear to be closing out because of expiration. I currently have a rain check for $.79 a pound ground bison from Meijer, and just used one for $.99 packages of Hebrew Nationals.

With a vac sealer and chest freezer, you can do some damage.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Stormy? Is that you?:D

Rainchecks are a huge way to save a bunch. Kroger will normally honor theirs well after the written time limitation. Meijer is stricter about the time limitation, but if you are polite at the customer service counter they will often write a rain check on stuff they appear to be closing out because of expiration. I currently have a rain check for $.79 a pound ground bison from Meijer, and just used one for $.99 packages of Hebrew Nationals.

With a vac sealer and chest freezer, you can do some damage.

If I were feeding your crew heck yes.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I am in my mid 40s and I can count on one hand, without using all my fingers, the number of times I have paid someone to work on one of my vehicles.

I am not a mechanic by trade, but grew up on a farm where dad and grandpa fixed EVERYTHING. I remember them planning to split a tractor in half to replace a clutch. I asked if they'd ever done this before. Both said, nope. And they commenced to tearing it apart.

Years ago, when my wife drove her minivan for week with bad intake manifold gasket, turning her engine oil into a chocolate milk looking substance.:rolleyes: I was quoted $4000 to replace the motor. I found a motor on eBay, with 10K miles, for $700. Wife asked if I knew how to change the engine in a minivan. I said, nope. And commenced to tearing it apart.

Then I told her, see. Nothing to it...:laugh:

UDcK0S7l.jpg

a82qHD6l.jpg

From what I remember, I've replaced motors in two of our vehicles. Transmissions in another two. Done timing belt/water pump jobs in a couple more. More brake jobs, oil changes and wheel bearings than I can count.

When I hear friends talk about what they pay for vehicle repairs, I can't imagine how many thousands of dollars I have saved over the years.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Cars: done both 3-4 yo used and new. when new, I keep them for 10 years at least.
    House: I live in a decent house in a slightly above average neighborhood for the market. House value is less than half of what the "rules" say I should have based on income.
    Clothes: I hate buying clothes but do when needed. Marshalls and Kohls for most stuff, higher quality for suits, etc.
    Groceries: I live alone so this is not a large budget item. Thus the potential savings from really paying attention, couponing, etc. is limited and not worth my time.

Weird things I do: Again, I live alone. So house is heated to the low 60s in the winter. I like cool though so it is 72-74 in the summer. When I had a dog, I would save the water from running it to get hot in a pitcher and fill his bowl with it.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Not me, but on the facebooks I cringe everytime I see reloaders talking about how cheap they can tumble brass using lizard bedding, which is also crushed walnuts. And various car polishes, some of which are not necessarily brass friendly due to some of the chemicals in them. And then of course invariably they complain about how this brand is too dusty, etc.

Maybe I'm not doing it right, but I spent $30 one time several years ago on a couple gallon containers of actual tumbling media and a tube of reloading polish and it works great. No excess dust, the polish is brass friendly, etc.

It never ceases to amaze me how many people trip over dollars to pick up dimes.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Many of us live on a shoestring budget. What are some things that you have done to save a buck here and there to make the dollars stretch until they scream for mercy?
    I'll start. Never pay what's on the window sticker on a vehicle, and never buy new. On my last 3 vehicles combined, these two tactics plus negotiations, put over $5000 back in my pocket.

I never buy new, pay cash and keep cars forever.
    My wife shops at Aldi to the extent they have what we need.
    I do all the maintenance in 2 out our 3 vehicles.
    No cable/satellite TV.
    Have a habit of obtaining used equipment people can't keep running and fixing it for my own use.

...but it all get tossed out the window as I have been paying for college for my oldest and next year, will have 2 kids in college. At least my daughter picked someplace less expensive...my son did not.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Even since college,I would take ketchup/mustard packages and re-fill bottles at home. I have to hide my packet stash, because my significant other throws out the bottle every time she catches me.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Even since college,I would take ketchup/mustard packages and re-fill bottles at home. I have to hide my packet stash, because my significant other throws out the bottle every time she catches me.

Forgot about that.

I grab handfuls of taco bell sauce packets for later use during taco Tuesdays at home. (Im the only one in the family that uses it so not worth buying it by the jar as it goes bad before I can use it all)

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Forgot about that.

I grab handfuls of taco bell sauce packets for later use during taco Tuesdays at home. (Im the only one in the family that uses it so not worth buying it by the jar as it goes bad before I can use it all)

I do that too. I believe I am the sole reason that Taco Bell quit making verde packets, and started to bottle it.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Take the time to make your lunch and bring your lunch into work, don't go out to eat for lunch. For meals outside of work, it's always cheaper to make your own at home as opposed to going out. More nutritious also.

Avoid buying food, drinks, or snacks out of vending machines. Big mark-up there also.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I never buy new, pay cash and keep cars forever.
    My wife shops at Aldi to the extent they have what we need.
    I do all the maintenance in 2 out our 3 vehicles.
    No cable/satellite TV.
    Have a habit of obtaining used equipment people can't keep running and fixing it for my own use.
    All these plus:
    Wash out and reuse plastic bags (mostly Ziplock types)
    Save old bread and newspaper bags and their twist ties for various uses
    Feed the chickens old leftovers that are about to bite the dust
    Garden extensively
    Can food
    Make our own maple syrup
    Rip up old junk mail that is blank on the back for note paper by the phone
    Car work includes engine rebuilding and transmission replacement, brake work, suspension, electrical work - I "make" more doing my own work that I do at my regular job
    Do our own taxes
    Rags instead of paper towels
    Cut up old socks for cleaning firearms
    Do our own bicycle repair and maintenance
    Reloading
    Make our own winter hats our of shearling sheepskin

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Share accounts like Netflix and Amazon Prime with family members.
    Bring paper bags to the movie theater, pour the popcorn into them to share, and refill the theater bag.
    Pirate books/music/movies/games/TV shows.
    Take advantage of "points" systems at grocery stores and gas stations. A $200 gas card every now and then is nice.
    Generic meds.
    Wash your own car.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Share accounts like Netflix and Amazon Prime with family members.
    Bring paper bags to the movie theater, pour the popcorn into them to share, and refill the theater bag.
    Pirate books/music/movies/games/TV shows.
    Take advantage of "points" systems at grocery stores and gas stations. A $200 gas card every now and then is nice.
    Generic meds.
    Wash your own car.

I had no idea you were a pirate enthusiast! Arrrrrrrr matey! ;)

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom