The "I'm not frugal, I'm cheap. " thread...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Don't forget to look around on Black Friday & Cyber Monday for some of your normal services. Things like Amazon Prime, if you use a VPN, have your own domain or pay for a server, your anit-virus and premium email, etc. It's also when I stock up on reloading supplies and other such things.

We're going to try SlingTV, Prime & our OTA antenna during the month of July to see how it is. Right now we have DTV and they like to nickel & dime us to death. We've negotiated a few discounts into it but really aren't happy. We do love the DVR and commercial skip. We both like Fox59 news and can't pull that very well with the antenna. We used to be able to but it's always been marginal. We may have to have our antenna realigned, maybe raised. It's already a 45' tower with 2 TV antennas (Indy & Dayton) and a 2m/440 Fong stick, soon to be replaced with a Diamond. We were told if we went any higher then we'd have to have support wires/anchors. The wife isn't really tech savvy and will hate it if she has to deal with multiple remotes or can't find what she wants to watch because of having too many configurations.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    If you use a paid antivirus program, don't let it auto renew. Cancel the auto payment. If you don't renew when it expires, they will send you all sorts of special offers to keep you from switching to another program. My renewal went from $59 to $19 and I got added services.

CKW

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 3, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Build your own furniture. The prices are crazy in the stores, and with youtube and online plans about anyone can build a kitchen table, bed frame, end tables, etc.

My other half does all the work to the house. Everything but the new roof. There was a time he and the boys would have done this but I put my foot down.
    We have saved so much over the years doing everything ourselves.

He has built some furniture. Will build more as time allows.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Been thinking about putting up a clothesline to dry clothes... There is a window in the utility room that would work... Some well placed pulleys and rope. Hmm...

Thanks Magneto for the Bensbargains link... Just ordered a new tent for my sons.

The GF has talked clothesline multiple times but is concerned the puppies would have a field day with the drying clothes! :rockwoot:

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Some people pinch pennies while racking up $500 a month in credit card interest and paying $300 a month in vehicle interest. We buy $4,000 vehicles with cash and run em until they drop and stay out of credit card debt. Actually, I put most things on CC, use 5% amazon cash back and pay off the CCs 7-8 times per month as we spend.

Kids cloths are all hand me downs because they grow out of em so quick. I buy once, cry once and get the nicest stuff within budget that I’ll keep forever. Any nice clothes are Deluth and get replaced when they are worn. Car repairs, remodeling and home repairs are done, buying the nicest tools I can get so I have them for any job. We easily spend $10-$15k per year less than average families in these categories alone. Out of debt except for mortgage is the biggest.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Some people pinch pennies while racking up $500 a month in credit card interest and paying $300 a month in vehicle interest. We buy $4,000 vehicles with cash and run em until they drop and stay out of credit card debt. Actually, I put most things on CC, use 5% amazon cash back and pay off the CCs 7-8 times per month as we spend.

Kids cloths are all hand me downs because they grow out of em so quick. I buy once, cry once and get the nicest stuff within budget that I’ll keep forever. Any nice clothes are Deluth and get replaced when they are worn. Car repairs, remodeling and home repairs are done, buying the nicest tools I can get so I have them for any job. We easily spend $10-$15k per year less than average families in these categories alone. Out of debt except for mortgage is the biggest.
    This is all so true. I dont get the credit card draw. Maybe it's just the way I was raised but credit cards to me scream "I dont know how to manage money".
    If I cant afford something then I just dont buy it or like with guns (a hobby and passion) I'll sell one and buy another. I'm not going into debt to buy it and especialy not paying interest.
    The only time I can see a smart use for a credit card is for an emergency expense like a car breakdown or other emergency. But then again that's what an emergency savings fund is for.
    Poor planning and poor spending habbits leads to crisis after crisis after crisis. Most times people create their own bad luck because of wasteful spending. Blowing money like they have it when they really dont because they have no actual savings. And I'm not talking a 401k. That is money you forget about or you will be retiring in an alley because you blew it all.
    I just couldn't live like that. I'd rather eat ramen noodles every day than have to worry about money like that.
    You dont have to make or have a lot of money to live/spend within your means. Make a budget and stick to it. A cheat here and there is ok if you pay it back into your budget, but you better truly be dedicated to it or you will fall back into the pattern of blowing it. If you have extra money after paying your Bill's you cant look at it like you have money to blow. You should be saving a large portion of that and creating a cushion. I'm glad my parents taught me these things.

Last edited:

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    This is all so true. I dont get the credit card draw. Maybe it's just the way I was raised but credit cards to me scream "I dont know how to manage money".
    If I cant afford something then I just dont buy it or like with guns (a hobby and passion) I'll sell one and buy another. I'm not going into debt to buy it and especialy not paying interest.
    The only time I can see a smart use for a credit card is for an emergency expense like a car breakdown or other emergency. But then again that's what an emergency savings fund is for.
    Poor planning and poor spending habbits leads to crisis after crisis after crisis. Most times people create their own bad luck because of wasteful spending. Blowing money like they have it when they really dont because they have no actual savings. And I'm not talking a 401k. That is money you forget about or you will be retiring in an alley because you blew it all.
    I just couldn't live like that. I'd rather eat ramen noodles every day than have to worry about money like that.
    You dont have to make or have a lot of money to live/spend within your means. Make a budget and stick to it. A cheat here and there is ok if you pay it back into your budget, but you better truly be dedicated to it or you will fall back into the pattern of blowing it. If you have extra money after paying your Bill's you cant look at it like you have money to blow. You should be saving a large portion of that and creating a cushion. I'm glad my parents taught me these things.
    If you don't pay interest on credit cards, you can earn money on every dollar you spend if it's a points card. 5% cash back is significant if you put everything you can on a card and then pay it off.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    If you don't pay interest on credit cards, you can earn money on every dollar you spend if it's a points card. 5% cash back is significant if you put everything you can on a card and then pay it off.

This.

My company doesnt provide me an expense account so I must purchase my own crap and get reimbursed. I was annoyed until I got a rewards Amex. This particular one is a Hilton Honors card, and I havent paid for a single hotel room in 10 years for my personal travels. And I havent paid a dime in interest either.

The absolute BEST score was my 2 night stay down in KY for the solar eclipse. I redeemed my rewards 9 months prior when it was first announced before it became a "thing". I literally jumped into my account and made reservations immediately after hearing about it on the news.
    Talking to the manager during my stay, his rack rate was going for almost $400/night due to demand. And that was one of the coolest things I have ever seen.

olhorseman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Middle of nowhere NC

This! We put everything on a cash back credit card. EVERYTHING, utilities, food, insurance, taxes go on the card. Credit card balance is paid in full each month. Cash back (points) is saved until the end of year and is used for Christmas.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We paid off and cut up all the cards long ago. We have one through the bank where he have all of our accounts. We use it when money is short to get over the hurdles life throws in front of you. It is always paid off PDQ. There might be a bit of interest here and there but that is the price paid for the convenience.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Never saw this thread before, but I'm glad I ran into it.
    Only got to read the 1st two pages and the last two, and it will be fun.

I learned to live on less than my income when my wife quit teaching to have the kids, and I was cheap/thrifty to begin with so it really taught me how to "live w/o."
    I never had cable till I was driven to it when everyone had to go to the "boxes."
    I did the $10/mo. local cable and got sucked in over the years when I got a taste of what I was missing. :ugh:
    I plan to go to "Sling" when my rates go up again.
    My daughter and husband make a good living but they cut the cable and just have internet and use other TV streaming avenues.
    My 33 yr. old son had never had cable, just internet. Did I do a good job raising them, or what? :laugh:

It is surprising what you can live w/o by waiting to pay cash to buy something: harder to part with that long-saved pile of cash.
    I have a teacher friend who bought a 65 inch TV with all the trimmings for about $3500 yrs. ago: credit card.
    About 3-4 years ago I bought a 55 inch TV for $400 from Best Buy: paid cash. (this was after everyone laughing about my 32 inch tube TV that would not die).
    I finally had an ancient 25 inch tube TV in the bedroom die and moved the 32 inch into there and had an excuse to get a "modern" TV. :laugh:
    The wife has a 13 yr. old Corolla we bought new that I am waiting to die b/c we both want a small SUV (unfortunately we think I may die first :dunno:).
    My roadster convertible is 14 yrs. old (Honda S2000), and I just told the wife to use it as a coffin since it isn't going to wear out. :rofl:
    I am cheap, but if I have to buy something I research and get long-lasting things.
    Just bought 4 appliances for my kitchen awhile back (bought a house with originals in it) and I paid about the same for all that my daughter did for just her 'fridge.
    She doensn't share my approach to $$. :laugh:
    My son is worse than I am, and I always warned him how it would be tough to married and she not be on the same page economically.
    He got married last summer and she is cheap beyond measure and he is the "spend-thrift" now, according to her.
    They do better (accountant and a nurse) than my wife could ever dream of, and yet they know the secret: live below your means.
    Tranlsation: live like you only make 1 income and save/invest the rest (like paying your house off in 15 yrs. instead of 30 yrs.): try it, you'll like it!

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I can appreciate the efforts made and ideas many have taken advantage of. Good thoughts and info here.
    But I don't like the kick in the nuts feeling it has given me.
    First it made me realize how much is spent on cable tv...and how much those rates have changed.
    Also made me realize how much is spent on hobbies. In all honsety I shouldn't spend so much on guns and racing/going to races. And that is where this thread gives me the kick in the nuts feeling. I don't like thinking of all the vacations and other things I could have done with that money nor do I want another reminder of how expensive my hobbies are....maybe I need a sugar momma. Lol

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I can appreciate the efforts made and ideas many have taken advantage of. Good thoughts and info here.
    First it made me realize how much is spent on cable tv...and how much those rates have changed.
    Also made me realize how much is spent on hobbies. In all honsety I shouldn't spend so much on guns and racing/going to races. And that is where this thread gives me the kick in the nuts feeling. I don't like thinking of all the vacations and other things I could have done with that money nor do I want another reminder of how expensive my hobbies are....maybe I need a sugar momma. Lol

Hubby is still looking for a sugar momma too. I told him if he finds one to let me know.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    My wife rolls here eyes and reminds me I would need to find a rich redneck girl as I am too unrefined for a high class high maintenance sugar momma

He calls me a hillbilly girl cause I am always running barefoot, but he'd take a redneck girl too if she could support him in the fashion to which he is accustomed. I told him he can have a girlfriend if she cooks and cleans. So far, that hasn't worked out for him.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

I never kept track of what was spent on performance. And for good reason. I have a rough idea.
    I have always worked under the logic that there is more money to be made if you just set yourself up for it. That mindset has served me well enough. If I would have saved all that money man how boring life would have been. We always managed great vacations. Owned boats (now there is a serious place to save :)) and camped in a lot of cool places. Rode our harley’s Through some very cool mountains and several states. And owned/ran some very fast and most cool race cars and bikes. Yeah we spent it all.

Yeah I am still working.

Top Bottom