• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Yes they are. They talk to gang members. They talk to kids. They talk at churches.
    Sometimes they walk the streets.
    They may not be the most effective, but they are doing something. If someone wants to complain about what do, regardless of how little it may seem to others, I'd ask what have they done in comparison?

I work the streets they say they walk and supervise the murder scenes they say they prevent. They don't do **** that is productive, and the murder rate in Indy is proof of that.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I tend to think they are mostly talk. Maybe they hear something from someone in the neighborhood/ one of their parishioners and they share that with LE on occasion. Ok that's great but show me data that proves they are making a real change. I give them credit for "doing something"..but isn't thatvthe same argument the left uses as a reason to diminish our 2A rights? Doing something doesn't mean it is effective

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    We can all hope, pray and wish that something like this would make a difference. Something needs to be done. I tend to believe that Frank is closer to being spot on about the reduction. Getting these thugs off the street where they can't draw a following and commit the crimes is what will help.

I hope that the 10 Point Coalition does make a difference. But JMHO, messages tend to get blurred behind the dollars signs. Time will tell.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I tend to think they are mostly talk. Maybe they hear something from someone in the neighborhood/ one of their parishioners and they share that with LE on occasion. Ok that's great but show me data that proves they are making a real change. I give them credit for "doing something"..but isn't thatvthe same argument the left uses as a reason to diminish our 2A rights? Doing something doesn't mean it is effective

They don't share information. In fact, when they show up they tell their people to not talk with the police at all.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    They don't share information. In fact, when they show up they tell their people to not talk with the police at all.

Makes sense to me. IF they fixed the problems they wouldn't be needed nor paid.
    I'm on the other side of the bridge from these problems and I can only be informed of the problems since I don't live them.
    I worked hard and moved away from all the horrific issues. I know the Govt is clueless as how to fix them. Maybe they do know but all people have rights.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I find it hard to believe that young men willing to shoot on a public street are going to be swayed by older men telling them its bad.

I mean, that's the basic idea of mentoring. I feel like even if you don't think this particular group is effective (and I--not being from Indy--have no knowledge about them), mentoring as a concept for changing people has been proven for many centuries.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I work the streets they say they walk and supervise the murder scenes they say they prevent. They don't do **** that is productive, and the murder rate in Indy is proof of that.

How is prevention quantified? Serious question. It used to irk me, when people complained about stuff that LE was unable to prevent. I used to think to myself, how do one know what was prevented/avoided?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Why don't you strap your badge back on and wonder south of 96th street instead of talking down to the officer that actually make contact and see these roving idiots with their vest on at crime scenes doing nothing...

What makes you think, that I haven't put in my time south of 96th St and haven't spoken with members nor participated in the programs? Oh you don't. You're just shooting off your mouth. I've spoken to parents, in uniform, at a local school at 10th/Temple, and I've also tutored at Tech, both as part of their programs. One kid, especially promising kid, at Tech, went on to college at Vincinnes at the airport, and my dad got him a job at United as a mechanic. So please, would you spare me the ridiculousness of your ignorance?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    No ****. It truly is.

The msm would lead you believe the exact opposite also. I guess that's no surprise though, now that I think about it.
    Heck, not just the MSM, but the main pastor! It seems like I'm always seeing him on the news talking about how we need to work together and people who know stuff need to say stuff.

https://www.indytenpoint.org/what-we-do

Although this is a raw and very sensitive time, the S.O.W. ["Street Outreach Worker"] use their knowledge, and savvy skills to build relationships encourage the families and love ones to work with law enforcement to bring the perpertrators to justice.The S.O.W. also are helpful at crime scenes explaining to family the process that IMPD follows during a homicide in order to preserve the integrity of the crime scene. This information is helpful in letting family and friends know that IMPD is not trying to be disrespectful to their loved one,

That sounds different than what is being described.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood

No kidding!? What the hell is up with that? I thought they were supposed to be helping!?
    If they’re telling residents to avoid talking to the police, they don’t deserve ANY public money!

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Indy Ten Point invited to speak to clergy across the country about reducing violence

When I first saw this headline I thought, maybe they're being invited so they can learn some tips on how to actually reduce inner city violence. That has to be it, because by just about any metric Indy's Ten Point Coalition has been an abject failure. But nope, they're once again being propped up as a model for other cities to emulate.

As others have said, they seem to have a worthy goal, but there just aren't effective at anything other than soaking up grant money. It's ridiculous that we continue seeing this organization being promoted as a viable solution.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Indy Ten Point invited to speak to clergy across the country about reducing violence

When I first saw this headline I thought, maybe they're being invited so they can learn some tips on how to actually reduce inner city violence. That has to be it, because by just about any metric Indy's Ten Point Coalition has been an abject failure. But nope, they're once again being propped up as a model for other cities to emulate.

As others have said, they seem to have a worthy goal, but there just aren't effective at anything other than soaking up grant money. It's ridiculous that we continue seeing this organization being promoted as a viable solution.

To shut the tap off for funding would be disastrously ignorant. Like Jesse and Ai they are holding us hostage.

Top Bottom