• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MickeyBlueEyes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    BFE, Indiana
    I went to the zoo on a sunday. I looked through the posts about LTCH issues there and avoided the weekday school related activities. My son and daughter enjoyed the day. My wife and mother in law and I were all packing... my wife has a derringer in her diaper bag, my mother in law had an iwb revolver and i was carrying my glock on my shoulder rig. nobody said a word about any of it and my Veterans Administration ID card got us twenty percent off the tickets... Great day overall, and didnt Open Carry, just didnt seem like I needed to.

popsmoke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    The only unnecessary attention I get when open carrying is from police officers...
    when they stop me to tell me how I'll draw unnecessary attention for open carrying.

Sounds like a nice family outing, brother.
    Now that it's cooling off outside, I might have to take the family for a trip. :)

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I went to the zoo on a sunday. I looked through the posts about LTCH issues there and avoided the weekday school related activities. My son and daughter enjoyed the day. My wife and mother in law and I were all packing... my wife has a derringer in her diaper bag, my mother in law had an iwb revolver and i was carrying my glock on my shoulder rig. nobody said a word about any of it and my Veterans Administration ID card got us twenty percent off the tickets... Great day overall, and didnt Open Carry, just didnt seem like I needed to.

Sounds like a good time. Just FYI, you will be asked to leave if open carrying.

brian.derby

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    The only unnecessary attention I get when open carrying is from police officers...
    when they stop me to tell me how I'll draw unnecessary attention for open carrying.

Sounds like a nice family outing, brother.
    Now that it's cooling off outside, I might have to take the family for a trip. :)

Only attention I get from police is to inform me of the great choice in my 1911 and how they wish they could carry one for their duty weapon.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Yeah, the Indy Zoo is simply a private "business", so no special treatment there. They can have whatever policies they want. The rolling school zone was "fixed" in the last legislative session, I believe.

The Fort Wayne zoo is a CITY zoo, so they are not allowed to regulate firearms in any way, shape, or form. State Law still applies, of course.

Glad you had a good time! My little girl enjoys the zoo. We ran up to the Fort a while back, and she had a blast.

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    The Fort Wayne zoo is a CITY zoo, so they are not allowed to regulate firearms in any way, shape, or form. State Law still applies, of course.

I'm not sure on that actually. The Fort Wayne Zoo is ran by the Fort Wayne Zoological Society (a non-profit, non-government organization) but has an agreement with the Fort Wayne Parks and Recreations Department which is most likely for the use of the land which is owned by Fort Wayne. As with fairs who "rent" the land from Cities can make you leave for having a gun the Fort Wayne Zoo probably can as well with the threat of criminal trespassing if you do not abide.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    What was your concern about school activities? You do know that the law was changed on 1 July 2013 and it is no longer illegal to carry at a place where there is a school function taking place, right? Assuming, of course, that it would be legal to carry there otherwise.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    How could they ask me to leave if there are no posted signage at any entrance? Its not a violation of their rules???

I believe it is posted somewhere near the entrance, although I've never personally seen a sign. There are lots of threads about this. Read through the thread linked to below. It includes some comments from a zoo employee. Basically they are worried about someone OC'ing and freaking out the soccer moms.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...fense/133037-ok-carry-indianapolis-zoo-5.html

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    So, does this make it okay to carry at the Children's Museum, too?

What was your concern about school activities? You do know that the law was changed on 1 July 2013 and it is no longer illegal to carry at a place where there is a school function taking place, right? Assuming, of course, that it would be legal to carry there otherwise.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    No. The Children's Museum has an actual school in the building. It is no different than any other school. The change to the IC removes the wording about property being used for a school function.

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    Shame. I'd like to take the kids there sometime but haven't heard good things about the neighborhood...

No. The Children's Museum has an actual school in the building. It is no different than any other school. The change to the IC removes the wording about property being used for a school function.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Shame. I'd like to take the kids there sometime but haven't heard good things about the neighborhood...

The benefits of the museum outweigh the bad neighborhood. They have a parking garage connected to the entrance by a sky walk over Illinois St. I've never felt unsafe or even seen any suspicious people on the property, and as a member, I've been there about 3 dozen times this year.

mtgasten

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 23, 2011
    Greenfield
    How could they ask me to leave if there are no posted signage at any entrance? Its not a violation of their rules???

I work there, they are posted in some areas but not in all areas, even if it wasn't posted anywhere we are still privately owned and operated, which gives the Zoo the right to make whatever rules it wants. This happens to be one of them. Like everyone else has said, people conceal all the time and get away with it. It's not illegal per-say because No Carry rules don't hold the weight of law in Indiana but if you don't leave when we ask then you could be charged with trespassing.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom